How to improve your game?

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
ZioFede

Re: How to improve your game?

Post by ZioFede » Thu 26 Sep , 2013 2:40 pm

Skaldy wrote:After a couple of years, most adults are as good at moving & aiming as they are going to get, given their natural dexterity, but there is always room for improvement here:
  • strategy & tactics
  • map awareness
  • weapon selection & usage
  • power-up & weapon domination
  • enemy players' style & tactics
And the small matter of configuration:
  • base hardware
  • hardware optimization for low latency (my favorite topic)
  • connection latency & packet loss (damn my ISP, or yours!)
  • best FOV & mouse-sensitivity for your style
But the hardest thing for me is adjusting my own lazy habits, after 15 years of FPS play. And having the discipline to run away from probable death. :)
You forgot a 200E mouse and all graphics set to lowest.

God should have let Paul live and let you die instead, worthless piece of shit. -Mr. H&some about a random actor-

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Thu 26 Sep , 2013 2:44 pm

ZioFede wrote:You forgot a 200E mouse and all graphics set to lowest.
Heh - yes, that's important. Although I can't live without shadows as they help with determining distance.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 26 Sep , 2013 2:57 pm

€50 and all graphics set to highest. My opinion about deliberate use of low graphics to improve contrast is well known, and I don't afford such players the same respect.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 26 Sep , 2013 2:59 pm

I do that in SC2, you can see cloaked units so much easier on low settings

=D

My respect has fallen

;"(

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 26 Sep , 2013 3:06 pm

Don't care about SC2, just object to it in UT on the grounds that it's pure metagaming. The settings are there so that weaker players can play the game, not so that players can abuse them for improved contrast - to compete on a level playing field, I would also have to force my game to look like shit and I don't see why I should have to do that. I'm considering polling the best players - if use of this is widespread then I might as well allow the use of neon skins so that everyone has access to the same abuse.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Thu 26 Sep , 2013 3:10 pm

I would hope most people don't really use low settings to improve contrast, only to get their FPS up. The forced fire effects are already hampering some ppl with older hardware.

What about the practice of disabling weapon bob and landing viewshake ?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 26 Sep , 2013 3:17 pm

Disabling weapon bob / viewshake is fine, as is using hidden weapons in standard UT. Disabling the first two has a negligible impact on the appearance and feeling of the game and the last one evens out the view, which would otherwise differ between players of different in-game handedness. The only reason hidden weapons are disabled in BW is because of the iron sights mechanic. None of the previously listed options are comparable to Muddy Slime Mode or even worse, Lowest Texture Detail / Highest Character Detail, which in my book has the status of outright bullshit.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 26 Sep , 2013 3:18 pm

Azarael wrote:Don't care about SC2, just object to it in UT on the grounds that it's pure metagaming. The settings are there so that weaker players can play the game, not so that players can abuse them for improved contrast - to compete on a level playing field, I would also have to force my game to look like shit and I don't see why I should have to do that. I'm considering polling the best players - if use of this is widespread then I might as well allow the use of neon skins so that everyone has access to the same abuse.
poll plz gooby

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Thu 26 Sep , 2013 4:27 pm

iRobot wrote:I do that in SC2, you can see cloaked units so much easier on low settings
Oh damn I'm glad about my disassembling skills. They will never figure out private home-made cheat if done well to achieve things like that.
trollface

Also many trainers on the web are nicely unprotected so it's not hard to steal from them
troll2

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Mon 14 Oct , 2013 5:57 pm

There are very nice tips here that apply to LDG and Freon servers:
http://www.wikihow.com/Play-an-Online-F ... on-Shooter
Enjoy!
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)