Checkpoints

You need help? It's here!
coletay

Checkpoints

Post by coletay » Wed 14 Dec , 2016 9:46 pm

If i copied Checkpoints from one map, lets say Volcano Race, onto my map (the checkpoint wall and the restart actors) and change the settings to suit my own will they work ?

Calypto

Re: Checkpoints

Post by Calypto » Wed 14 Dec , 2016 9:52 pm

yes

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Wed 14 Dec , 2016 11:12 pm

I can write a tutorial on Friday if you want further information.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 17 Dec , 2016 11:12 am

Checkpoint Tutorial - requires all LDG specific RACE files, available in the Maps sub-forum.

1). In the ActorClassBrowser, select OpenPackage and find LDGObjects.u in the system folder. Open.

2). Right-click on CubeBuilder and lay out your Checkpoint dimensions - I typically use 600 units for Height, 128 units for Breadth and the road width (typically 1024+ units). Build.

3). With your shape selected, right-click on the Volumes button and select 'RACE_Checkpoint'. Place your Checkpoint volume appropriately.

4). Select your Checkpoint and press F4 to open the RACE_Checkpoint Properties. Select the RaceCheckpoint tab. The default settings should show:
  • ActiveState - AS_Reject
  • DisabledOnObjective - None
  • EnabledOnObjective - None
  • Position - 0
  • ResetActor - None
ActiveState has three settings - AS_Reject, which rejects all vehicles until EnabledOnObjective is true; AS_Check, which checks all vehicles until DisabledOnObjective is true; and, AS_Disabled, which tells the Checkpoint to ignore vehicles until EnabledOnObjective is true.

DisabledOnObjective and EnabledOnObjective correspond to the objectives' Tag (Objective Properties -> Events tab -> Tag). I typically use check1 for the first objective, check2 for the second objective, and so on. EnabledOnObjective must correspond to the objective the Checkpoint is enabled on (for example, if I want a Checkpoint for the first objective, I'd set EnabledOnObjective to check1). DisabledOnObjective must correspond to the objective the Checkpoint is disabled on, after completion (if I want the checkpoint to be disabled after the first objective has been completed, I would set that tag to check1 also). DisabledOnObjective and EnabledOnObjective tags will therefore typically match each other, with a few exceptions.

Position sets the Checkpoint sequence. The first Checkpoint for each objective must start with Position 0, otherwise the system will not work (the first Checkpoint has Position 0, the second Checkpoint has Position 1, and so on.)

ResetActor sets the position vehicles will reappear to once they fail a Checkpoint check, in the form of a RestartSpot. If no ResetActor is selected and a vehicle fails a check, the vehicle will reappear in the enemy spawn (typically). RestartSpots can be reused, and I tend to just place one below the spawns and make cheaters suffer in having to drive each track again. RestartSpots can be found in the Actors tab with LDGObjects.u open (Actor -> Keypoint -> RACE_RestartSpot). Place your RestartSpot in the map, and select your Checkpoint; once selected, press on the ResetActor section and press the Find button, clicking on your RestartSpot in turn. The ResetActor section should show the name of the RestartSpot if successful (an example: RACE_RestartSpot'myLevel.RACE_RestartSpot8').

5). Start creating your Checkpoints and filling in the properties. The first objective Checkpoints should have the AS_Check ActiveState, and the following objective Checkpoints should be set to AS_Reject. AS_Disabled can also be used for the following objective Checkpoints if you are reusing sections of the track for later objectives (once enabled and disabled, a checkpoint cannot be re-enabled, hence the use of a second Checkpoint with AS_Disabled until needed). The first objective Checkpoints should have the first objective Tag as EnabledOnObjective, but DisabledOnObjective can be different depending on the map needs. Position should be 0 for the first Checkpoint, and have an appropriate ResetActor RestartSpot. The creation of an effective system can be time-consuming.

Checkpoints can also be used as an alternative to blocking and kill volumes.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

coletay

Post by coletay » Sat 17 Dec , 2016 2:47 pm

Thank you very much earl :)