Donnie Help Terrain

You need help? It's here!
Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Donnie Help Terrain

Post by Donnie » Thu 05 Jan , 2017 2:28 pm

Hey guys need some help. My UnrealEd is fucked up. I need to make my layer but the Layers tab is missing the New, Duplicate and Delete options. What do?

Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Re: UnrealEd Mini Tutorials

Post by Donnie » Fri 06 Jan , 2017 4:15 pm

selfbumperino

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Re: Donnie Help Terrain

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 06 Jan , 2017 5:37 pm

Open user.ini file in the System folder, and delete the [WindowPositions] block. Close the Unreal Editor before doing this and back up your user.ini file beforehand, just in case things go tits up.

I believe this will fix the issue.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Post by Donnie » Fri 06 Jan , 2017 7:23 pm

Great, thanks Earl. Much appreciated.

Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Post by Donnie » Sat 14 Jan , 2017 6:34 pm

yo everytime i click OK on the New Terrain properties window the editor crashes. my map is a 50048 unit cube, so i set XSize and YSize at 782. Does it have something to do with it? i mean it's not that big.

coletay

Post by coletay » Sat 14 Jan , 2017 7:20 pm

An easy way to find out would be to make a smaller one around 400 and see if that works when you click okay, if it doesnt crash, its something to do with the size. (have you also set the Zoneinfo to Terrain Zone?) If it does still crash, try making a terrain on a new blank map, if that works, its something to do with your map, if not then it may be a PC Issue.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 14 Jan , 2017 7:39 pm

The XSize and the YSize must be powers of 2, otherwise the editor will crash. So 256x256 or 512x512, 256x128, etc. I would keep the values at 256x256 and then you can increase the TerrainScale in the TerrainInfo if you need to increase the size of your terrain area.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Post by Donnie » Sat 14 Jan , 2017 9:50 pm

coletay wrote:An easy way to find out would be to make a smaller one around 400 and see if that works when you click okay, if it doesnt crash, its something to do with the size. (have you also set the Zoneinfo to Terrain Zone?) If it does still crash, try making a terrain on a new blank map, if that works, its something to do with your map, if not then it may be a PC Issue.
yea i tried with a 4096 unit cube and the editor didn't crash. i thought making big maps wouldn't be an issue.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:The XSize and the YSize must be powers of 2, otherwise the editor will crash. So 256x256 or 512x512, 256x128, etc. I would keep the values at 256x256 and then you can increase the TerrainScale in the TerrainInfo if you need to increase the size of your terrain area.
i read somewhere that in order to determine the exact values of XSize and YSize, i have to divide the size of the room by 64. that's why i set them at 782. Can you confim this?

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 14 Jan , 2017 10:22 pm

I have no idea to be honest, but I do know that not setting the values as a power of 2 will result in the editor crashing. Keep it at 256 x 256 and then edit the TerrainScale.

Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Post by Donnie » Mon 16 Jan , 2017 8:14 pm

Ok, thanks for replying.