Decreasing playerbase

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
ILoveTheNorth

Re: Decreasing playerbase

Post by ILoveTheNorth » Sat 26 Sep , 2015 5:37 pm

I was playing on Highlander last night too, we were 3-0 down, at which point Cal made it 3-3 with his MOAB.

Now I do agree that that weapon is slightly OP, however I was switched due to many RSpecers, and was able to put Cal down with a nice L96 shot.

It's a game, we all need to take a step back and stop taking it so seriously. Maybe Cal took a bit too far by doing it multiple times, therefore due to the power and nature of the selection of the laser guided weapon, can it not be 'greyed out' once it has been used already?

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Sat 26 Sep , 2015 6:09 pm

Calypto wrote:A) it's a placebo and doesn't work
B) you can turn it off if it really bothers you that much
Nice try.

A) If it really doesn't work, you would have already disabled it on the server.
B) I've disabled it on my client, because it causes the rest of us to lag, but you still use it.

Your hit-rate cannot be that good when you're on the other side of the planet to the rest of us. Simple physics.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 26 Sep , 2015 6:13 pm

Why do I even bother?

ILoveTheNorth

Post by ILoveTheNorth » Sat 26 Sep , 2015 6:50 pm

Guys, if we want the BW server to prosper, then we should put aside our differences and just play.

It's a game, yes some weapons are OP, yes some players do devious things, yes some maps have certain characteristics that players like/do not like.

We have pages and pages about the decreasing player base, and some good things have happened, such as old banned players being allowed back (myself being one of them), however, in my honest opinion, we should all be have like adults playing a mature game, and not kids raging on xbox live whilst playing COD.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 26 Sep , 2015 6:51 pm

Ping compensation does not work.

Surely the sensible option would be to just remove the MAU? It's a cheap, cheap weapon with:
  • Firemodes that are broken damage-wise and don't take in to account BSP;
  • Firemodes that cause severe FPS drops when deployed;
  • If taken after death, one bomb for most players will allow them to claim a second KS2, despite the severe self-damage;
  • It's almost impossible to defend against many bombs, with the invisible claimant
It's also unfair that I ask players not to use the broken firemodes (particularly the 70 odd metre chemical bomb), and yet an Admin and certain VIP members continue to do so.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 26 Sep , 2015 7:24 pm

Skaldy wrote:He shoots at what is 98% likely to be our location, while we shoot at what is 50% likely to be his location.
I'm confused as to your reasoning here. This isn't a peer to peer game; the server is authoritative over positions. Calypto's moves are sent to the server with 120ms delay and replayed there; if he deviates too far from the position the server believes him to be at, the server will send a correction. Whatever position you receive for him from the server is valid, because it's the server's position - the only one that matters. Therefore, there is no possible advantage whatsoever from having a higher ping in UT.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 26 Sep , 2015 7:55 pm

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:Ping compensation does not work.

Surely the sensible option would be to just remove the MAU? It's a cheap, cheap weapon with:
  • Firemodes that are broken damage-wise and don't take in to account BSP;
  • Firemodes that cause severe FPS drops when deployed;
  • If taken after death, one bomb for most players will allow them to claim a second KS2, despite the severe self-damage;
  • It's almost impossible to defend against many bombs, with the invisible claimant
It's also unfair that I ask players not to use the broken firemodes (particularly the 70 odd metre chemical bomb), and yet an Admin and certain VIP members continue to do so.
I suggest keeping it, but removing any "unsafe" fire modes that cause lag or tears (even though these bombs are only an issue in shit maps such as Highlander and Helmzdeep, because these maps are big enough to allow for these bombs, yet are all clustered into one tiny point despite having a large amount of space).

The tears that come from the MAU only happen on these maps, think about it. You wouldn't be able to use it on a map such as Campgrounds.

Greedisgood

Post by Greedisgood » Sat 26 Sep , 2015 8:18 pm

The tears that come from the MAU only happen on these maps, think about it. You wouldn't be able to use it on a map such as Campgrounds.
Small maps != good maps.
Earl pretty much pointed out all the issues, although completly removing such a unique weapon would be a bit of overreaction in my opinion.
"Not one has eggs to chance" - Brötchen of Hellfire

Jester

Post by Jester » Sat 26 Sep , 2015 8:39 pm

Calypto wrote: The tears that come from the MAU only happen on these maps, think about it. You wouldn't be able to use it on a map such as Campgrounds.
The "tears" can come from all the maps that the "gas 7x meters instant kill" (and not really about the MAU) can be use. That's different.

Maybe change the actual MAU by the old one (never understand why it's been removed for this one): only 1 firemode and only available 1/round (if you didn't die before) ?

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Sun 27 Sep , 2015 12:05 am

Given the rage in here and the statements about how "ping compensation does not work" I have removed it.