Proton pumping for dummies

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Greedisgood

Proton pumping for dummies

Post by Greedisgood » Tue 27 Oct , 2015 12:47 am

Here is some general info on E90 along with basic tactics. First of all, firemode explanation:

Proton primary ***
Deals average consistend damage, has no hip spread and allows you to jump around and even sprint, outmaneuvering most of the iron sights fans. Provides some charge on hit. You will not be able to use this mode when you are at 100 charge.

Proton secondary ***
Healing ray. Heals at approximately the same rate as aerosol and tactical rifle but can be delivered in calculated doses over an average distance. This mode consumes your charge. Healing a teammate with full health will not drain it.

Neutrino primary ***
Locks on the enemy, requires little aiming. Will majorly decrease his damage while hooked and will not let him dodge much. Gives you lots of charge. Not usable with 100 charge.

Neutrino secondary ***
Strong buff for a teammate, has to be aimed carefully. Will provide a major damage output boost and decrease damage taken. Drains all your charge extremly quickly. Cant be used while at 0.

Special function
Shields you from energy weapons and explosives, slowly drains charge. Will automatically disable once you get to 0.

Now, there are several ways to use E90 with only one of them currently being popular:

1. Using only proton primary, basically having a break from the iron sights to do some jump spamming. This will let you get some easy kills on unprepared players, but as soon as the equally good shooters figure out what you are doing they will simply burst you down using a weapon with higher dps. Dodging helps. Dont get too close, dont expose yourself while too far, move around the target and vertically a lot. You will want to get rid of the excessive charge once a while to continue firing. Ways to do this: turn on the shield; heal the teammate; just dump some secondary neutrino on the floor. Note that the shield will block the enemies e90 primary as well, so if there is another enthusiast in the enemy team you gonna have to engage into silly mind games.

2. Using the primary to build up the charge while staying with the team to heal. Not effective due to having to get out of position for the charge and wasting lots of health and time to get proxy-healing level results.

3. Neutrino primary + proton seconary. I recommed this approach. Follow your teammate constantly, preferably someone who is constantly aware of whats going on around him. When encountering the enemy, lock him with the primary and let your teammate deal with him. You may not be careful at this point and even tank the fire due to extreamly low damage output of the locked target. Be careful when facing multiple enemies. On every opportunity, heal your teammates. Once you get a good amount of charge, you may let your partner go in front of you and heal him from behind. As long as he doesnt get bursted, he will have around 400hp total to play with. Variation of this approach: using neutrino secondary instead. Despite the impressive numbers, this method rarely provides good results and is extremly unreliable. Use it when you know that your teammate is delivering some constant damage, while also recieving some (corridor warfare with some coordination).

4. Cheesy neutrino primary + generic weapon. Find a single target, start disabling them. Wait for them to fire a full clip at you, dealing 30-40 damage. Proceed to draw your weapon and execute them while they are reloading. Again, this will stop working once the enemy realises what you are doing... thoretically. This post should speed up the process.

It is advised to cooperate with at least one teammate, preferably by voice. Otherwise, you can use the ingame spectator function (F8) to keep an eye on the chosen teammate and make more approprite decisions while not losing him every 20 seconds.

I guess thats it for today. No fancy graphs, sorry. I didnt focus on exact numbers so some input on them would be appreciated.
"Not one has eggs to chance" - Brötchen of Hellfire

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Re: Proton pumping for dummies

Post by CaptainXavious » Tue 27 Oct , 2015 10:47 am

Unless Az did some changes I didn't know about, I think you have some errors in your fire mode info.

Proton Primary: Doesn't actually do consistent damage. The first couple hits do like 7 each, but for every hit that doesn't miss after the first couple, the damage goes up by 1 until it maxes out at (I think) 15 damage, or until you miss, resetting it to 7. But it is consistent in the sense that it is accurate, reliable damage.

Neutrino Primary: I don't think it really does anything to their ability to dodge.

Neutrino Secondary: Unless Az changed it, I am pretty sure team mates take full damage still. I have prodded at Az to tweak this so it wasn't near exclusively dependant on real-time communication.

SpamGuard© (Special Function): It doesn' t do anything specific to energy weapons, it only completely prevents damage from attacks with splash damage (a lot of energy weapons do have splash damage though) and fire (which generally use splash to deal its damage). I am completely unaware of it protecting from other E90s but I'll take your word for it.

Overall, good stuff. I'm glad its seeing legitimate use.

Greedisgood

Post by Greedisgood » Tue 27 Oct , 2015 11:15 am

Aha, that clears up a lot. I thought that proton damage depends on the bodypart hit due to mostly seeing "7" and "13" in the popups. Neutrino movement restriction was reported by some players yesterday, maybe it was subjective. Could you specify how much health proton secondary restores per second/per unit of ammo?
"Not one has eggs to chance" - Brötchen of Hellfire

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 27 Oct , 2015 11:36 am

Yeah, the Proton Pack and Raygun protection works identically, and it protects against damagetypes which aren't marked as locational hit. I don't know why the E90 beam is falling under this.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Tue 27 Oct , 2015 2:41 pm

Good stuff, thanks joinha
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)