Ban Appeal

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Re: Ban Appeal

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 07 Aug , 2014 12:38 am

You admit then that you were camping the lifts. You also placed sandbags on the top of the lift entrance to trap players on the lift, and then waited between them with the DS (you cannot deny this because for the last 5 minutes of the game I was watching you with the in-game spectator). You were warned 2 times in the last 3 days on teamspeak about using the dark-star either at the top of ladders or lifts, so you cannot complain about a lack of warning. As I posted above 'repeatedly' - this was not the first time in this particular game. As for a 'motive', I don't know what you are hinting at. Three admins tried to ban you at the same time, and I happened to be the quickest.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 07 Aug , 2014 12:47 am

Can confirm that this would have been my ban if I had been quicker.

Dark Star especially is disgustingly cheap to use in such an enclosed space. The power of the Dark Star is set so high because it's expected that the user will have to do some work to get into melee range. Camping the top of a lift, especially with a double sandbag approach to funnel players into the centre, is quite a despicable move.

As with all other recurring problems, the game has been modified to render this and similar tactics that we'd previously ban for moot, in a direct response to this incident. The Dark Star melee, along with all other melee, the FP7 and the T10, will not deal any damage to players on a lift or within 1 second of them having jumped off it, assuming they haven't yet landed.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 07 Aug , 2014 1:03 am

My post was perfectly coherent. I did not mention specifics. You were warned twice on separate occasions about using the Dark Star on the top of lifts/ladders; whether or not the claims were legitimate is irrelevant. No player should expect a warning for each individual act if they disregard previous warnings aimed at themselves.

And I'd rather you didn't find another server to join. I enjoy playing with you.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 07 Aug , 2014 2:36 am

Regardless of whether a solution's been implemented to the problem, we have to keep our banning approach consistent.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Thu 07 Aug , 2014 2:58 am

On a side note, we were playing freon on Inferno a few days ago and Earl said that camping teleporters with any weapons is prohibited. I checked the rules later and didn't find a clear answer. I thought it was only true for melee? If that's true, then I think you've gone a bit too far with this, because the rules seem to become an excuse for players jumping into another location without even thinking what the hell they are doing. Speaking of Inferno, not only this is one of the worst stock maps IMO, which is designed around camping lifts, teleporters and tight spaces and it's really hard not to camp there, but also Earl was in pursuit of Bezlikiy, and he actually could have guessed that he will inevitably run into an ambush there.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 07 Aug , 2014 3:03 am

I checked the rules just after the offense and I see that this particular issue is not covered there. While that's irritating, as I'm pretty sure I personally wrote out a rule covering this particular problem, he was warned in TS multiple times.

I'm not trying to remove the thought from the game, but equally, camping the top of a lift with a melee weapon where you can't be seen and can hear the lift coming up is ridiculous, especially so if the lift itself then forms a trap for the enemy. FP7s and T10s destroy maps which have lifts as a major element (Goose, Goliath) by providing the thrower with a cheap way to cut off access to an entire area of the map. Given that lifts may have been placed to relieve flow issues, this is a big problem for me.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Thu 07 Aug , 2014 6:25 am

If the issue is not in rules then there's no ban unless it was preceeded by clear warning, kick or session ban.

Definitelynotjay

Post by Definitelynotjay » Thu 07 Aug , 2014 7:34 am

@ Izumo
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote: You were warned 2 times in the last 3 days on teamspeak.
Anyways, I believe warnings were given before, when something similar happened involving the nanoblade.

Don't quote me on this.
You see a mouse trap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge.
They will try to kill you. Kill them back.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 07 Aug , 2014 9:25 am

While I think the ban is ridiculous, it's just one day, I'm sure you can find something else to do for an evening while you cool down.