Banned for "Team Balancer Abuse"

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
Tehnix

Banned for "Team Balancer Abuse"

Post by Tehnix » Sun 07 Sep , 2014 2:06 pm

Hi,

here is the demo of the match that got me banned: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ztnxr ... ayer.demo4

I would really love if someone could tell me how I abused the team balancer there. From my point of view, this is how it went:

-Joined the server during the wormhole match, first round was almost over. Got placed in blue, and played. On red there were three admins, randale and a couple of other decent players, so I thought this could be interesting
- had to answer a phone call at the end of the wormhole match, therefore I F10'ed during the mapchange
- about 20min later I came back and it was still blackhawk going on. Saw calum in the other team and was hoping for a decent match again. Got banned a few minutes later doing what you can see in the demo.

Azarael told me the logs show that I'm "rejoining" at some point, and I cannot understand where this has happened, unless disconnecting during the map change actually counts as "joining" and leaving quickly afterwards.

So, please tell me, where did team balancer abuse happen? I've been told that team balancer abuse equals forcibly making another player switch teams by spectating, which didnt happen here at all.

Ofcourse, all of this is ignoring that this was during OLDZ and on OLDZ-maps (unless rules regarding this have changed in the last few weeks where I didnt play?) and the general issue that noone gives a fuck about team balancing on the AS/Race server anyway (with few exceptions), especially three admins who wants to play together (which is totally understanble), but pretty much ruin the teambalancing in the course.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Banned for "Team Balancer Abuse"

Post by Azarael » Sun 07 Sep , 2014 2:32 pm

Discussion's ongoing in private discussion right now, but my opposition to this ban in a nutshell:

- Significant time lag between Tehnix's leaving and his rejoining - implausible that someone would leave for 20 minutes to abuse the balancer
- Left early in the game along with a number of other people
- Had reason for leaving - phone call
- Had no idea that someone would be switched or had been switched by his leaving
- Chat on previous map includes negative comment about the user from banning admin

Tehnix

Post by Tehnix » Sun 07 Sep , 2014 5:33 pm

so can you tell me what actually happens when pressing F10 during a mapchange?

Will you just disconnect and not appear in the logs at all, or will you be shown as joining and instantly leaving upon mapchange, although you never even got the loading screen?

if its the later one, then banning someone based on this is totally absurd, cause what can you do about it when you didnt even get the loading screen?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 07 Sep , 2014 6:31 pm

F10 should work only on the "Connecting..." screen, when you're in the Entry map between server maps. I have had experiences when I pressed F10 very late in the sequence, loaded the map and immediately disconnected. I'd advise you not to concentrate too much on the F10 issue itself, though - there are real flaws in the ban which are being addressed.

Because of the short length of this ban and the possibility of it being waited out, I'm unbanning you now pending the result of the vote in Private Discussion. The outcome will be posted here.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Sun 07 Sep , 2014 9:41 pm

Ban has been removed.

Socio
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Socio » Sun 07 Sep , 2014 10:04 pm

Just to clear this. I have nothing against you Tehnix, was trying to troll you into getting a mad reply on Wormhole (Azaraels statement about a bias towards you is false).
In my eyes you screwed up with quiting on blue, causing a TB switch and then rejoining on winning red team. But whats done is done, majority decided to remove the ban.
> team-spec*Socio: i see a new rais map
> team-spec*Socio: curious if ikea
> H&some: its not
> H&some: its actually pretty good