going by the rules

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: going by the rules

Post by Azarael » Thu 07 Apr , 2016 9:36 pm

Friendly reminder that referring to people who report (and to the act of reporting) as snitching is still against the rules, and that I'll happily hammer you for that if I see you doing it.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 08 Apr , 2016 9:23 am

Izumo wrote:
iRobot wrote:
ZioFede wrote:It still baffles me how racism grants you a week ban while homophobia is an "ok thing"...
Who said it is?
I did trollface
Why do you have to put a troll face on everything?

Is homophobia and related insults acceptable here or not?

Greedisgood

Post by Greedisgood » Fri 08 Apr , 2016 12:43 pm

Every small specification just breeds more walls of text with in-depth analysis of necessity of the rule and possiblility of its application in this very very specific case. We already have a cohort of experienced adims who can differentiate between jokes and antisocial behaviour without a guidebook.
Last edited by Greedisgood on Fri 08 Apr , 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Not one has eggs to chance" - Brötchen of Hellfire

Satin
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Satin » Fri 08 Apr , 2016 1:18 pm

iRobot wrote:
Izumo wrote:
iRobot wrote:
ZioFede wrote:It still baffles me how racism grants you a week ban while homophobia is an "ok thing"...
Who said it is?
I did trollface

I don't think it should be, but it'll depend on how grown up everyone else is feeling. I'll point out that things like gay marriage etc are now legal & generally acceptable in a way that they weren't some years ago, and as such people should be protected under the same principle as hate speech or racism/nazism etc.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 08 Apr , 2016 1:29 pm

Homophobic insults are now so common in society that people mostly use them without thinking - my students often shout 'gay' across the room at each other and no action is ever taken. If the insults are concentrated towards an individual, and are sustained, then I think we should consider a mute and nothing more.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 08 Apr , 2016 7:01 pm

I agree with the above.

focus

Post by focus » Fri 08 Apr , 2016 8:01 pm

Looks like rules of the server are inclined towards realities of the western world.
Without explicitly worded agreement. While, server itself is located in the internet. Global space without borders. And there are enough players here who do not live in USA, Germany, UK, etc. World is not limited to the west.
Even English language, which is used on the forum and inside the game, is global.

All those things like rules (with lot of text), nazi issues, gay rights issues - they are all from western culture. Other parts of the world are concerned with little bit different things.
I also always wondered - what the server time is? How it is related to the UTC?
Any formula could be provided?

Maybe its a good time to make an definite decision - what audience this server is designed for?

I also want to say that when people from other parts of the world join server and play, they may not know even the English. They could have different views, not consistent with stated rules. And you will ban them, if they will break them? Declare them as violators of rules they have no idea of?

Greedisgood

Post by Greedisgood » Fri 08 Apr , 2016 8:55 pm

"Not one has eggs to chance" - Brötchen of Hellfire

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Fri 08 Apr , 2016 10:54 pm

focus wrote:I also always wondered - what the server time is? How it is related to the UTC?
Any formula could be provided?
If I'm not mistaken, it's UTC+3 for you? The server is in France, so it's UTC+2.
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_FR.aspx
focus wrote:I also want to say that when people from other parts of the world join server and play, they may not know even the English. They could have different views, not consistent with stated rules. And you will ban them, if they will break them? Declare them as violators of rules they have no idea of?
By connecting to the server, you agree to the rules.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 08 Apr , 2016 11:07 pm

This server is a Western server managed by Western (mostly) people in accordance with Western culture. You are free to leave if you prefer lawlessness.