30 days saying holocaust, seriously ?

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
Satin
Disappeared Administrator

Re: 30 days saying holocaust, seriously ?

Post by Satin » Tue 30 Aug , 2016 12:14 pm

I don't normally comment on these but the word 'holocaust' on it's own doesn't warrant a ban, it's a word that existed long before the mid 20th Century.
Sure it has connotations with Nazi Germany and the Final Solution but it's not exclusive to that and is itself not indicative like a word such as N*gger would be.

The ban is ott and really should be rescinded.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Tue 30 Aug , 2016 12:32 pm

Disagree. The word genocide was coined in 1944 to describe the mass slaughter of ethnic groups, and this has replaced the word holocaust in a general context. Holocaust is used almost exclusively to describe the Nazi atrocities in WW2, but can also be used in a nuclear context, true. However, it's telling that the whole first page of Google, when you type in holocaust, links you to WW2, and does not include the definition of holocaust. We should not accept any jokes about holocaust whatsoever.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Satin

Post by Satin » Tue 30 Aug , 2016 12:35 pm

No.

'The Holocaust' has that distinction 'holocaust' does not, and 'it's a red holocaust' certainly doesn't.

Still wrong, still needs to be rescinded - sorry.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Tue 30 Aug , 2016 12:47 pm

I'll not back down over this. I am absolutely correct when it comes to the definition and the context in which it is used. We have always banned people in the past for using holocaust related terms, particularly in a joke (which is sickening enough) and to allow this to continue is setting a dangerous precedence.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Den
System Administrator

Post by Den » Tue 30 Aug , 2016 1:10 pm

According to the context I don't think that killersquirrel is a racist and I'm sure he didn't want to make a joke about events which were during WW2. But on the other hand I agree with Earl about meaning of this word and especially about a dangerous pretendence if let such things exist on the server. So it seems ban will be still active and there's nothing to discuss. I wish killersquirrel will understand correctly why is he banned and that his outrage is inappropriate. Especially according to the fact that he made his "joke" just after Ashlin remembered him about bans for racism.

taries

Post by taries » Tue 30 Aug , 2016 2:31 pm

Should halv his ban to 14 days at least, on one hand hes stupid for using that word but on the other it wasn't meant in racist/nazi way and since it was pointed to Ashlin I am not surprised.

ILoveTheNorth

Post by ILoveTheNorth » Tue 30 Aug , 2016 5:05 pm

Damn. My Dfly skills are causing bans left right and centre.

killersquirrel

Post by killersquirrel » Tue 30 Aug , 2016 7:02 pm

Thanks guys to discuss about my case but I'm too vexed about this silly situation and realized that the ambience on this server is so rotten (thanks for those who said "cya" .....).
Looking at you discussing about dictionnary definition is so...english, whereas the real question is : is killersquirrel a nazi lover ?
I'm not and, for the last time, say with regrets : bye bye and see you elsewhere.

Alain

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Tue 30 Aug , 2016 7:26 pm

Where are you getting the idea that you are being called a "nazi lover," and why are you upset by something you know isn't true? As an American, I believe Europeans are way too scared of the word "holocaust" and being labled as "nazi."

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Tue 30 Aug , 2016 8:35 pm

We had a short discussion before issuing the ban. While holocaust as the word is more generic, it's typically tied to Nazis (plus it's predated by dicsussion about Nazism). If other admins think otherwise, please follow our process, thanks.