A pretty rediculous ban

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
leelum

A pretty rediculous ban

Post by leelum » Tue 18 Oct , 2016 4:42 pm

This is in relation to this ban (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3597), which has been completely mis-represented, and I'm hoping can be a learning experience for all.

Most notably, the lesson of, If when admins come on and the overall enjoyment of the server decreases, that person isn't being a good admin. My experience is mostly CS based in different irritations - probably since the age of 15 to now, 26 years old. Overall, I'd expect for a game with a decreasing player population, you'd try your best to keep people on the server. Not drive them away because an admin felt personally insulted.

Yesterday, 17th October, after a map change, intimately at the start of the game I swapped sides. No one was forced to the other side, I didn't abuse spectator. Hell, I wanted to play along side people I know on the server. Generally, no big harm. I've seen people do it before.

Mid way through the game, Eiforia, who had been present at the start of the game complains that I had switched, and that I would be kicked. This is where mine and Eif's accounts differ on his Ban record - he states I was warned, I was told I was going to be kicked. Now In my experience, a kick isn't a warning, it's punishment. It seems there is no reasoning trying to explain anything (my perspective as I said above) to him, in what seems to be the typical "The Admin is Always Right" approach. I didn't compare all admins to being a far-right nationalistic group, I merely suggested his own personal approach was somewhat of said disposition. I.E Hes being overall quite harsh in the servers common vernacular. Again such language has been used before on the server. I'm not a first, but clearly a case where people have been banned.

I'll admit, calling Eif a Nazi was a short tempered approach to what I perceived to be an undue punishment. But at the same time, if you don't give people respect and dish out punishments, people will call you slightly tolaritarian in the gaming communities vernacular, which in this instance was Nazi.

Overall, I feel Eif handled this particularity badly. If he'd explained why he felt switching at the beginning was bad, rather than saying I was going to be kicked, this would be all very different. The ban will be over soon, so I don't really care for being un-banned immediately, But what I would like is for admins not to be so ban happy. Servers work because they feel they own a little bit of it, giving people an attachment to being a long standing, and productive memberships. If you ban people because 1. you feel personally insulted (come on, grow a thicker skin), or 2. because it's the only way you know how to dish out authority on the server, then you may want to take a step back into the more technical side of server administration.

I hope lessons could, and can be learned on both sides here.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: A pretty rediculous ban

Post by iRobot » Tue 18 Oct , 2016 4:53 pm

leelum wrote:The ban will be over soon, so I don't really care for being un-banned immediately
I'm hoping you didn't misread the expiry date.

While you may have had some grounds for argument regarding the team swap (I can't really take any side as I don't have the chat log), calling someone from the admin team a Nazi is a clear breach of rules.

30 days for it is excessive (IMO as a neutral), but I did not make the rule.

SageOfSixPaths

Post by SageOfSixPaths » Tue 18 Oct , 2016 5:28 pm

I think Eif just wanted to show his manliness in this instance. He's just so macho!

leelum

Post by leelum » Tue 18 Oct , 2016 5:39 pm

iRobot wrote: I'm hoping you didn't misread the expiry date.

Oh damn, I did mis-read that. Holy shit, 30 days? What the Hell.... T_T. Is there some context here to why that's been met with 30 days 0.o?

leelum

Post by leelum » Tue 18 Oct , 2016 6:03 pm

Just to add, It was an IP Ban, Mods please message me if you want it (it's connected to a few of my own research servers, so I'm reluctant to give it out publicly)

Eiforia
Piska

Post by Eiforia » Tue 18 Oct , 2016 8:21 pm

> Leelum: We just need to grab it right?
> Eiforia: u need a ban mate
> Leelum: Moi?
> Eiforia: yes
> Leelum: for...?
> Eiforia: u switched teams
> Leelum: 0.o..... at the.. very start?
> Eiforia: yes
> Leelum: Jesus, chill out nazi.
> Eiforia: man
> Greedisgood: here we go
> Maniac: 3..2..1

There was no any word about u getting kicked, punishments etc... If i wanted to ban you for joining stronger team, i would not begin this talk. I just answered to your first phrase in a match, willing to show tht u made a bad move. That's it. So you did all job yourself in getting a ban.

P.S. Good words, Sage, good words :D :D
"I shall listen to Roy Orbison - "It's Over" in memory of Hamish" - Azarael

leelum

Post by leelum » Tue 18 Oct , 2016 9:48 pm

Hold on, you're being somewhat contradictory here, and missing out quite a significant part of the argument.
Eiforia wrote:>
> Eiforia: u need a ban mate
Eiforia wrote:> There was no any word about u getting kicked, punishments etc...
Quite clearly your spoke about delivering a punishment, you as an admin saying "you need a ban" infers of your potential future actions. I'll admit I mitigated Kick for ban. But I don't have the benefit of chatlogs :).

And you're completely ignoring that joining a different team at the start of the game, not forcing anyone to swap, (I didn't abuse spec), is not a violation of the swap rule?

And come on, 30 days? Seriously, how can you justify that.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Tue 18 Oct , 2016 9:58 pm

Comparing admins to Nazis is a 30 day ban, that is made very clear in both the in-game and forum rules. We don't have to justify anything to you.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

leelum

Post by leelum » Tue 18 Oct , 2016 10:08 pm

Comparing an admin to a far right totalitarian party isn't the same as identifying with said cause/ white supremacy - which would probably merit 30 days.

But if that's your rules. Fair enough, Fair-well, and I wish you well in the future.

giZmo
Hogwarts Professor

Post by giZmo » Tue 18 Oct , 2016 10:34 pm

Downplaying the word Nazi with just saying it´s a far right totalitarian party is the biggest bs i have ever read. I suggest you go
back to school and pay more attention in history glass or even better open some history books to complete your lack of school knowledge.
"We never truly know how to appreciate something until we have lost it forever."