Assault Ladder

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.

Do you want the skill of the players to be public or not?

Yes, make it public for everyone
49%
No, show only my own skill
No votes
No, don't show skill at all
51%

Total votes: 35

KvWThomas

Re: Assault Ladder

Post by KvWThomas » Thu 23 Jan , 2014 3:43 pm

Azarael wrote: You should probably have read the thread.

There are a lot of things tweaked on ldg, just like this ladder.. It might be easy to follow if you work on it yourself, but I dont feel like reading the changelog every time nor do I have knowledge of how things in UT are calculated. Excuse me for not seeing the info in this thread.

I agree with darkelf:
I hear the argument that well any newb can complete an obj and they get points that you think should go to a more talented person. To be honest... I would be ok with this!!!!! and I'm pretty sure most of us here would be. The whole idea is to encourage people to complete objs.. I hate seeing dimbos going defensive and not one willing to do obj.
I played a couple of ranked AS matches just to see how much I could change my rank. I went from 6.05 to 6.80 easily just by covering my teammates in a few games. My normal style of playing, which benefits the team a lot more (where I also do more objectives) is around 6.05. The top10 can be reached by just being a sucky teammate to others (not hinting at anyone in the top10 though).

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 23 Jan , 2014 4:09 pm

Skill isn't tracked when you're attacking... if your skill rose, you defended in a superior manner.

Scartissue

Post by Scartissue » Thu 23 Jan , 2014 6:24 pm

Azarael wrote:It's a skill balancer. Objective scores do not correlate strongly with skill. Neither do the 5 points you get for a vehicle destroy on some maps.

You should probably have read the thread.
Objectives basically are the only thing that matters in assault. Killing those turrets or vehicles aids your team. I know what you mean, but my point is i do not think there is an adjusted ladder system for assault possible. The current mostly shows dm-skill like Thomas says till a certain cut-off, at the moment it would be around 7, if it is higher usually it is because people are to much oriented on the killing then that they are oriented on the the objectives. Ofcourse it helps the rest of the team also. If i notice the team is a bit low on dm-skill i tend to focus more on that so others can get easier to objectives.

It is a double sided sword really. Personally i find the current rating system not so bad as it indicate some general skill which helps matching the teams. Not sure why it shouldnt work on attack. But really caring about the ladder system is overrated, in my opinion it is just a general indication and people should take it lightly and not care to much about it. If it would be to be improved perhaps it vehicle kills and objectives should count as a certain % multiply factor or it should take into account the opposite average skill level but that starts to be complicated.

Perhaps the most rewarding factor should be if your team won after all or not and then fonction as a multiply factor but then again some people might go for a stacking team. An idea would be kills/death multiplyed by 2 for a teamwin and divided in total by 1 if total skills are even. Divided by 0.8 for example if overal skill is lower then on the opposing team or divided by 1.2 if your overal skill team is higher etc... im not really a statistics person but it all seem really hard to implement.

To me it sounds easier to keep the current and take it with a big bag of relativation :D

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 23 Jan , 2014 6:52 pm

It's best kept in mind that the Assault "ladder" has never intended to show who was the best at Assault. It's designed to track combat skill during the defense round, since this is the factor most likely to cause a drawn-out stacked game of the type most people complain about, with this data later being used by a balancer. Anyone who is saying that the metric does not reflect the entirety of Assault skill is 100% correct.

KvWThomas

Post by KvWThomas » Thu 23 Jan , 2014 7:30 pm

Azarael wrote:It's best kept in mind that the Assault "ladder" has never intended to show who was the best at Assault. It's designed to track combat skill during the defense round, since this is the factor most likely to cause a drawn-out stacked game of the type most people complain about, with this data later being used by a balancer. Anyone who is saying that the metric does not reflect the entirety of Assault skill is 100% correct.
Is there an ETA of a skill balancer? It would be interesting to see what it does with the current ranking system. I'd care more for a fairly balanced team than a very accurate ladder (this ladder is definitely good enough for me).

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 23 Jan , 2014 7:51 pm

Unless I find it within myself to do it, March at the earliest.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Thu 23 Jan , 2014 8:55 pm

I'm back in CZ in April and have a good month of work in there, so I won't get to it till May 2014.

darkelf
Disappeared Administrator

Post by darkelf » Fri 24 Jan , 2014 8:36 am

Might I suggest resetting all points on the system now so that when the skill balancer does come into play it will have an accurate skill level to base off of. As the time of this implantation of this skill ladder it has had its ups and downs and abuse. Maybe even make it unseen by all players. This way it isn't going to encourage people to game the system instead it will let the system do what its meant to do.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

Tehnix

Post by Tehnix » Tue 15 Apr , 2014 8:58 am

Just wondering: How are suicides taken into calculations? I mean those suicides generated by the suicide console comand, and not those generated by killing yourself with your own weapon, as they should be treated differently codewise.

As a defender, I usually suicide in order to get to a better position and/or getting ammo refills, but I could also see how this can be possibly abused if its taken into consideration differently.

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Tue 15 Apr , 2014 11:05 am

Your skill rating is almost entirely based on your overall kills/deaths ratio and a bit by how many kills/deaths you have in total. Suicides, weather by accident with a weapon or intended with a console command counts as 1 death.
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.