Embedded Music in Levels

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.

Which method of music in a level/map do you prefer?

Forced embedded music
20%
Jukebox music
60%
No opinion(either one is fine)
20%

Total votes: 10

darkelf
Disappeared Administrator

Embedded Music in Levels

Post by darkelf » Fri 15 Dec , 2017 1:39 pm

So with the latest levels being introduced to sever there seems to be the early beginnings of embedding forced music into a level. So wanted to discuss this and create a pole, but first lets explain what I'm talking about.

Forced embedded music: Putting a actor into the level editor that plays a song on constant loop that the client who opens map will have no choice but to listen to this song. Only way to stop the music is to do command in console of "pausesounds".

To clarify, I am not talking about triggered sounds that you can put into a level that are short and do not go on constant repeat(example: Grabbing a redeemer sets off an alarm that sounds off for about 4-5 seconds). I have no issue with this.
  • Forced embedded Music: Forced embedded music: Putting a actor into the level editor that plays a song on constant loop that the client who opens map will have no choice but to listen to this song. To clarify, I am not talking about triggered sounds that you can put into a level that are short and do not go on constant repeat(example: Grabbing a redeemer sets off an alarm that sounds off for about 4-5 seconds). I have no issue with this.

Forced embedded music Cons:
    -You have to put your faith into the level creator to set a reasonable volume for the music for which you will have no direct control over other than to reduce all sounds.
    -In order to disable the music if you desire not to have it interfere with unreal jukebox or your own music you may be playing, you have to use a console command to stop the sounds which has a side effect of stopping other sounds as well.
    -You have to download a sound file which can often times be extremely large depending on what music the level editor puts in the map.

Forced embedded music positives:
    -The level creator gets to set the environment and feel of the level he/she created and wants others to experience.
  • Recommended solution: Editor allows you to choose the song for level that utilizes the ut2004 jukebox.

Jukebox music cons:
    -Level creator has to provide a .ogg music file to all clients who wish to hear the music they intended for the level.
    -If the client does not have the .ogg music file for the level, they will have to settle with picking a song in ut2004 jukebox in order to have some music for the level.

Jukebox Music positives:
    -Izumo has created a mutator for server so clients can easily download all .ogg files for levels on racing sever.
    -The client will have the option to listen to music the level creator intended and be able to control the volume of the music.
    -Reduces the amount of downloads needed to run the level, as you will no longer be forced to download the music unless you desire to through using the above mentioned mutator.
Trying to stay as impartial on the above cons and positives. Creating a pole to try encourage others in the community to voice there opinions and complaints so that we can make our gaming experience a pleasant one. Also to give information that is useful to the level creators so they know what there audience prefers.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Re: Embedded Music in Levels

Post by iZumo » Fri 15 Dec , 2017 2:33 pm

I'm not following where forced music as a sound in the level would really help - not since we have the ogg auto downloader ( viewtopic.php?f=76&t=3610 ). Anybody who now wants to play the music that is associated with the level can do so easily (on Windows - and for 32-bit the native mod can even be installed from in-game).

If there are levels with forced music in them then they should be fixed.

Den
System Administrator

Post by Den » Fri 15 Dec , 2017 4:40 pm

IMHO UT music is pointless, people prefer to listen what is happening in game, noobs who prefers music can easily listen what they want with player on PC. Izumo's music loader at least gives an alternative of increasing map size by putting music into it.

Both are fine for me cuz can be disabled joinha

pie

Post by pie » Sat 16 Dec , 2017 10:40 am

Yup I turn the music off too. But one thing I'd love to have is a vehicle stereo like the ones in battlefield Vietnam. When a vehicle drives past, you get to hear what they are listening too, but I guess that would mean maps could get huge in size... pipe dream.

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Sat 16 Dec , 2017 4:58 pm

It could also be a trigger, like if you press the action key somewhere special, it launches the music/sound instead of having it non stop and it stops when it's over... (A bit like on Nightmare when you pick up the OMFG gun)
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 28 Dec , 2017 10:09 am

I'd love dynamic music. Changes depending on the objective or the time remaining.

Probably a bit complex, though.

0rang3

Post by 0rang3 » Sat 30 Dec , 2017 6:48 pm

Where to get and what type of music are you going to do?