F1 map with timed laps?

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.
pie

F1 map with timed laps?

Post by pie » Fri 01 Feb , 2019 4:42 pm

I've got a couple of months to kill until I get my next house. I'm interested in making a formula one type map, but if I use a mod that adds F1 type race cars would there be any chance of it being uploaded to the ldg server?
I think a new style of racing would be fun for both players and mappers, I know Calypto mentioned a timing mod a while back, and I'd love to know if this could be possible.
The scorps are rubbish on smooth banked maps and was hoping for more control with the F1 cars.

So rather than having objectives it would be single high quality track, where the first to complete x amount of laps would win.

Satin
Disappeared Administrator

Re: F1 map with timed laps?

Post by Satin » Sat 02 Feb , 2019 11:09 am

There's the Unwheel mod that has all that as standard

Satin

Post by Satin » Sat 02 Feb , 2019 11:11 am

pie

Post by pie » Sat 02 Feb , 2019 12:24 pm

Thanks Satin, that's what I was going to use, Earl did also mention it in the past. Would you know if that would work on the LDG server?

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Sat 02 Feb , 2019 5:09 pm

It would work, since we had it installed on a dedicated server a while ago. Could be added to the mod server at first. We had a separate server because the mod is big in file size, and internet speed wasn't that good at the time :P
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

pie

Post by pie » Sat 02 Feb , 2019 6:36 pm

That sounds promising Bono, and of course I'd also be happy to donate towards the server costs if we can try it.
I'm working on it now and if its ok I'll post again here when I get close to finishing it. I'm also open to any ideas.
Thanks.

Den
System Administrator

Post by Den » Sun 03 Feb , 2019 12:39 am

Sure it can be added if you create new map or vehicle.

But you must remember it is just race without weapons, this game was not popular and mod server was turned off because empty all the time and it was just CPU and memory usage. So making a big work which probably will not make people interested in it... Not sure, not sure. But anyway if have new content we will at least try it

BiGBALLZXXL

Post by BiGBALLZXXL » Mon 04 Feb , 2019 2:46 am

Maybe top 3 fastest laps can be seen on a scoreboard or something

pie

Post by pie » Tue 05 Feb , 2019 10:44 am

BiGBALLZXXL wrote: Mon 04 Feb , 2019 2:46 am Maybe top 3 fastest laps can be seen on a scoreboard or something
Good idea, BIGballs if that could be on normal maps it would be smart.

Thanks Den I get what you mean, if its been tried and failed maybe I shouldn't bother. Tbh it's the way benders and scorps drive that is making me want to try something else. Like I've said before driving on a map that your making offline is nothing like when it's on the LDG server. Maybe I should just look for a new vehicle instead. Anyhow I'll make a bender map for now.

Cheers

Satin

Post by Satin » Tue 05 Feb , 2019 12:00 pm

It failed last time because it never made it out of the mod server, and there were some issues with physics (cars getting stuck etc) I think it'll be worth a shot, if nothing else it'll be a novelty that will get some traffic, plus I play it offline and it's actually quite fun, there's a load of different modes like rabbit, ctf, rally, stunts etc.