Voting on LDG1

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: Voting on LDG1

Post by iRobot » Tue 17 Sep , 2013 4:28 pm

Azarael wrote:They're going to leave the server if something they don't like is voted, no matter what. Either that or simply refuse to defend, a strategy I've seen before.

All cutting the timer does is fuck over Assault players even further by ensuring they get even less playtime before 0.6 voting ends everything.

And I'd be willing to bet my figurative bottom dollar that LegoWars, Gasoline, Chaos and SkyRace would be made exempt. Assault doesn't stop being Assault just because "muh vehicles!"
My proposition included removing the voting weight. The server is a hybrid, so should be treated as one, my solution would give both gametypes more equality in play minutes.

Currently it's a RACE server with an additional gametype.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 17 Sep , 2013 4:29 pm

The server is a hybrid, but not an equal one. Its population strongly favours race.

And if I skipped over that detail, my bad.

Reading it again, LegoWars is explicitly mentioned, but do you honestly think any proposition which neuters common dragged-out borefests like the maps I previously mentioned is going to pass? Not to mention that other Assault maps (Canyon, for example) do require the extra time.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 17 Sep , 2013 4:44 pm

Azarael wrote:Not to mention that other Assault maps (Canyon, for example) do require the extra time.
I'm not seeing this notion. The map does not have to be completed, the same enjoyment is given for playing.

Do you feel dis-satisfied when you do not complete the map in assault?

To use LegoWars again as an example, the majority of the timer is expended at the final stage of the map (Throwing ye leviathane at ye flashing hande). Shortening the timer would have no effect on the maps 'content'.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 17 Sep , 2013 4:53 pm

I feel dissatisfied when I've wasted time making the latter half of a map. Having a situation where some maps are never going to be completed, barring a stack, is directly insulting.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 17 Sep , 2013 5:01 pm

So it is bias as a map maker alluding your judgement.

Majority of the players would not lose any sleep over not always finishing the map.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Tue 17 Sep , 2013 5:37 pm

I don't think there is any bias, me and Bono think the same and have no pro maps behind us.

The voting weight is there to prevent chainvoting AS (i.e somehow balances the expected ratio of race players leaving the server on AS), but keeps there time for gg of AS. Your proposition would again allow chainvoting AS (AS players would keep voting AS, because lack of satisfaction over half-played AS game). More effective counter-stack solution would be progressive timing (that was once discussed but never implmemented) - to prevent 20min of boredom for half of the players when def is stacked.

KvWThomas

Post by KvWThomas » Tue 17 Sep , 2013 5:53 pm

Azarael wrote: All cutting the timer does is fuck over Assault players even further by ensuring they get even less playtime before 0.6 voting ends everything.
The priority of the server is obviously running RACE. It attracts more players and keeps more players playing. More AS players play RACE than the other way around. But I understand the server would not work as good without the RACE maps, because they benefit AS maps in terms of population. Although some RACE players lack the AS experience, it is always more fun to play with bigger teams.

Am I correct in saying that one of the goals of running RACE maps is to get more people joining (compared to running AS)? Maybe the voting weight of AS maps could be linked to the population aswell?

I have always been an AS player and I dont mind playing RACE, but I do mind if I try to get an AS map voted for a certain time and after 2 hours a map like Derby gets voted. 4 votes for derby outweigh 6 votes for AS (depends of the moment, I know).. But when there are for example 2 different RACE maps being voted and 2 AS maps, I always ask for the AS voters to unite their votes because if they dont vote for the same map, the chances are even smaller than they already were.

Can I ask for a trial period where the voting weight of AS can be raised? 0.7, 0.8 or higher? Or linked to playercount in some way?

EDIT: Please no timer changes on AS maps... Not being to complete a round just because of the time is not fair. It would be more suited on maps like Aztec, Derby or Blazing (is that the map with 1 track with lava beneath?)

KvWThomas

Post by KvWThomas » Tue 17 Sep , 2013 6:08 pm

Another idea, but I guess this is only for VIP members, is to give certain players ("locals") an increased voting weight. (AS-) People that play daily on the server getting outvoted by RACE 'newbs' (in contrast to locals) isn't exactly fair, right?
Ok you can say "everyone should be treated equally" but then the voting weights should be the same too.

I know I'm making a big deal out of this, but on the other hand there already is a mathematically worked out voting system..

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 17 Sep , 2013 6:30 pm

Donators already have an increased voting weight.

#1's priority these days is to run whatever gets people playing on the server.

KvWThomas

Post by KvWThomas » Tue 17 Sep , 2013 6:33 pm

Azarael wrote:Donators already have an increased voting weight..
I am aware of this :).

Azarael wrote: #1's priority these days is to run whatever gets people playing on the server.
So what do you say about this:
> 12 people on server => AS voting weight is 1.00 ?