UT2004 installation Advice

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
KillerB
V.I.P. Member

UT2004 installation Advice

Post by KillerB » Mon 17 Dec , 2012 3:21 am

Ok so once again my HD died a slow death and had to get new one. Tried to do a virtual copy so i wouldnt have to re-install everything (again!) But to no avail, refused to comply with my nice attemps. So, my question - i have managed to copy my UT2004 folder, but is there anyway to install it without having to use my 5/6 disc version - cos its really tiresome and im only gonna copy over it with my back up once its installed. Any ideas?
~)Open wide hunny, Momma's got ya goo(~

Deathblade
System Administrator

Re: UT2004 installation Advice

Post by Deathblade » Mon 17 Dec , 2012 3:43 am

I don't really understand what you want to do, but yes, you need to use your CD's for installing the game because it set some keys in windows register. Nevertheless you can install by CD's and copy you backup over exiting install if you backup contains lot of custom stuff !
The LDG admin !

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Mon 17 Dec , 2012 5:15 am

Deathblade wrote:I don't really understand what you want to do, but yes, you need to use your CD's for installing the game because it set some keys in windows register. Nevertheless you can install by CD's and copy you backup over exiting install if you backup contains lot of custom stuff !
All you need is the CD key registry file, then you can copy ut2004 to any computer you want. (This is of course, if you do not want to use your CD and would rather use something faster, like Flash memory)
  • Start + R
  • regedit
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  • SOFTWARE
  • Wow6432Node (Not sure if this is for everyone, but this is where my entry is located)
  • Unreal Technology
  • Right click, export
Pretty much that's all there is to it.

Nardaq_NL

Post by Nardaq_NL » Mon 17 Dec , 2012 5:10 pm

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004]
"Folder"="d:\\games\\UT2004"
"Version"="3186"
"CDKey"="ENTER CD-KEY HERE"
"ADMIN_RIGHTS"="You need to run this program as an administrator, not as a guest or limited user account."
"NO_DISC"="No disc in drive.  Please insert the disc labeled 'Unreal Tournament 2004 Play Disc' to continue."
"NO_DRIVE"="No CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive detected."
"TITLEBAR"="Unreal Tournament 2004"
"WRONG_DISC"="Wrong disc in drive.  Please insert the disc labeled 'Unreal Tournament 2004 Play Disc' to continue."
"YEAR"="2004"
save as a ut2004.reg or so and run it, hf :) ive done this so many times
(

Btw, you can also download a DVD version and use your own key to install it, it works just fine

KillerB
V.I.P. Member

Post by KillerB » Tue 18 Dec , 2012 1:01 am

@Nardaq thats sort of what i was considering - downloading the cd but wasnt sure the legal issues as it would be a copy of the game, even tho i have the original. I was gonna just copy over it with my original back up folder i made of the game before i changed hd. I know i know .. proper blonde moment ><
~)Open wide hunny, Momma's got ya goo(~

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Tue 18 Dec , 2012 7:48 am

KillerB wrote:@Nardaq thats sort of what i was considering - downloading the cd but wasnt sure the legal issues as it would be a copy of the game, even tho i have the original. I was gonna just copy over it with my original back up folder i made of the game before i changed hd. I know i know .. proper blonde moment ><
Once you buy the game, you buy the license for personal use. If you break/lose the disk, you can download an installation and prove you own the game with the box if something were to happen.