Delayed...

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Re: Delayed...

Post by Butcher » Thu 27 Mar , 2014 1:45 am

Today, same shit different day! Delay comes and goes, if it was constant I would aim before where the other player is, but since its 20 secs nothing, in middle of combat jumping screens and then maybe some 1 minute ok... it sucks... is absolutely random! I lost again all the rounds tonight, and for example Toy story, was +6 net 3 Deaths and from there to 20 deaths -8 net, I made then 5 killing sprees, yes 5 Killing sprees in a no delay period of time, to a final score of 18 net to 24 deaths, and of course I lost 0.02 points of skill....
I would like to know what could I possibly do to fix this, is so frustrating!! , my ping is stable 36-40.
;"( ;"(
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Wed 04 Jun , 2014 11:21 am

I've been looking into the remaining lag problem here. Disabling PingComp seems to have helped with the constant micro-stutter:
Azarael wrote:

Code: Select all

[PingCompensationConfig.MutPingCompensation]
bEnabled=False
However the large skips still occur, mostly:
  • When other players are about to come into view
    When starting close combat with other players
    When there are a lot of smoke/mist/flame effects on screen
I've tried everything - different graphics drivers, all sorts of UT config, system and OS tweaks. Standard UT works fine offline even with detail right up (I haven't tried BW offline - what's the install procedure again?)

One thing I did notice is that I get a much lower frame rate on LDG compared to offline, without changing a single UT option - below my monitor refresh rate in fact. I know some effects/detail/texture resolutions are forced on/normalized, and understand the reasons completely, but can the graphical demands be reduced a touch?

Any suggestions would be welcome - I know I'm not the only one suffering :|

Eiforia
Piska

Post by Eiforia » Wed 04 Jun , 2014 12:07 pm

Can anybody add 100500 kills to bitcher to make his skill high, so he stop cry about his skill here and in game?

When u have 24 deaths how can u wait your skill will become higher?
"I shall listen to Roy Orbison - "It's Over" in memory of Hamish" - Azarael

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 04 Jun , 2014 12:17 pm

Eiforia wrote:Can anybody add 100500 kills to bitcher to make his skill high, so he stop cry about his skill here and in game?

When u have 24 deaths how can u wait your skill will become higher?
His post is 2 months old
;'D'D

Skill system be hidden completely soon it seems, no need to worry anymore joinha

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 04 Jun , 2014 12:32 pm

Skaldy wrote:I've been looking into the remaining lag problem here. Disabling PingComp seems to have helped with the constant micro-stutter:
Azarael wrote:

Code: Select all

[PingCompensationConfig.MutPingCompensation]
bEnabled=False
However the large skips still occur, mostly:
  • When other players are about to come into view
    When starting close combat with other players
    When there are a lot of smoke/mist/flame effects on screen
I've tried everything - different graphics drivers, all sorts of UT config, system and OS tweaks. Standard UT works fine offline even with detail right up (I haven't tried BW offline - what's the install procedure again?)

One thing I did notice is that I get a much lower frame rate on LDG compared to offline, without changing a single UT option - below my monitor refresh rate in fact. I know some effects/detail/texture resolutions are forced on/normalized, and understand the reasons completely, but can the graphical demands be reduced a touch?

Any suggestions would be welcome - I know I'm not the only one suffering :|
The skips should occur in any GT except Freon on DM maps, as that's the only gametype set to precache for test reasons. There's a thread in BW Support and Information which contains the .rar for the offline version. Bear in mind that BW loads a ton of assets into memory and so has greater demands than standard UT2004.

The only effects that are forced on are the M763's gas and the HVC-Mk9 lightning gun's stream. Nothing else.

In the Ballistic menu, you can turn certain BW-specific graphical elements on or off. If you're having issues, start by disabling all the blood.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Thu 05 Jun , 2014 7:28 pm

All my UT/BW effects are off or minimal already.

I think I've found something that helps with the large jumps in play - it's the server skins. If I turn force models on then the skips appear smaller and less frequent (see mymenu...brightskins...the 2 "force" checkboxes at bottom right).

So, as much as I admire Aberiu's wonderful work, I don't think my 5 year-old motherboard can move that amount of geometry & texture data about that quickly. Anyway, if anyone wants to give that a go, it may help - note that the force models settings are stored separately for each gametype.

The remaining lag I get is almost certainly a combination of my ISP being crap at peak times, and possibly the FR part of the connection, so that will have to suffice. :|

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 05 Jun , 2014 8:26 pm

Under Settings->Game, do you have skin precaching enabled?

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Thu 05 Jun , 2014 11:36 pm

Yep.

Dunno how much bigger the server ones are, compared to the standard ones. Perhaps it's just the total size, when most of the 22 players have a unique one these days.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 05 Jun , 2014 11:39 pm

Out of interest, do you play in widescreen, and if so, could you try a 5:4 resolution (or any resolution just under 4:3), which will have the effect of reverting the HUD to C++ code?

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Fri 06 Jun , 2014 12:52 pm

OK, I normally run at the native display res of 1920x1080, but I've spent some time comparing 1280x720 (16:9) with 1280x960 (4:3) - so I was comparing roughly equal pixel counts. I use quite a minimal HUD anyway.

Under TDM (because you mentioned precaching) significant skipping still occurs despite force models being on. (I saw that the force model menu for TDM was different and gets stored in UT2004.ini [utcompv17a.UTComp_Settings] rather than User.ini [LDGGameBW.*])

Anyway, what I have come to realise is that it definitely occurs just before an enemy comes into view (so much so that I can almost use it as a predictive advantage ;) ).

I'll go back to my native res and force models ON, and see how it goes.