Delayed...

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Delayed...

Post by Butcher » Thu 20 Mar , 2014 1:17 am

Is really frustrating... I think I have this issue:

For 3 days now, I'm not able to do a positive net score in a BW match. No I did not forget to play or became a noob in 3 days, are the same maps, same guns, only problem is LAG... In combat my screen blocks and then jumps to other position. Sometimes I appear in a totally different position in the map; is like I am clearly running through a hall then screen jumps, and I'm still in the corner stuck against the wall... not to count the several times I'm shooting to a target and jumps then nobody in front! Is like a memento scene with me dying every time...
And my ping is always <40..
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Delayed...

Post by Azarael » Thu 20 Mar , 2014 1:27 am

There are four things that can ruin your game in UT:

1) Ping, either a high ping or fluctuations.
2) Packetloss.
3) Vertical sync, which introduces serious input lag in UT2004.
4) Stutter and microstutter.

You need to work out which it is. From the sound of it, the server is correcting your position, which it will do if you deviate too far from the location where the server expects you to be, so your connection is likely being interrupted, coming under the heading of packetloss.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Thu 20 Mar , 2014 3:23 am

Try connecting your computer directly to the modem, disconnecting the router completely. If this solves the issue, you can try a firmware update, get completely new firmware, or you should buy a new router, respectively. If this doesn't solve the issue, try Azarael's tips. If they don't work or you can't confirm they work, check and see if it's your computer's network adapter. The only way to test this is to fit another one in and turn off the one that is causing trouble, or perhaps an external adapter if you have a laptop. I highly doubt this is the issue, however.

You're not using wireless, are you?

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Thu 20 Mar , 2014 11:01 am

I noticed something similar a couple of weeks ago when I was spectating a bit (on the Race Server). I think the spectators dont get the exact position of the crosshair. There was this one situation where there were scorpions approaching and the defenders have a sniper rifle (could be Gasoline for example) and the defender I was watching (dont remember who it was) didnt even aim the scorpions from the spectators point of view but was landing hits on them and sometimes headshots too. It looks like the person is aimbotting but since there is AntiTCC on this server I feel like it might be something similar to what you posted there.
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Thu 20 Mar , 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks guys for the support...
I ran some tests :
-Speed test from WiFi 12.5 Mb/s Download/0.9 Mb/s upload, It was really fine. I use LAN connection and result was the same.
-I run a packet loss identification to see if it was the provider: in cmd console I typed "ping google.com -t" and left it for 15 minutes running.. end with Cntr+C and you get packet loss statistics. 0% packet loss 36ms return. But I'll repeat this experiment in peak hour time because I ran it after midnight. Had no problem in those hours before. Nonetheless I always see P/L in the F1 screen in UT, I have some screenshots. And If I keep the F6 network menu open P/L doesn't show.

-The modem is 3 months old, new generation. My PC is connected directly. And I've performed several tests with the Wifi and LAN, and no difference shown. All other equipment that may use internet was off while playing.
-It might be my network adapter? Maybe, how to test it besides changing it?
-or my PC is heating up? (got a second PC I can try with the UT), but I have a base with fans that keeps the temperature low (and fan was running) cause I have those i7 processors that spend lots of energy.

-is it possible to be server side? Do we have some kind of ping compensation in LDG? I normally have a ping of 36 to 40, and yesterday had 8-12 when the problems were peaking. Is it possible the server is not receiving my packages?
Azarael wrote:There are four things that can ruin your game in UT:
1) Ping, either a high ping or fluctuations.
2) Packetloss.
3) Vertical sync, which introduces serious input lag in UT2004.
4) Stutter and microstutter.
1) ping <50 normally
2)Yes, I think this is the big issue, where is the loss client or server? And how to fix it?
3) vsync was correct. No issues offline or in invasion server or other servers.
4)St--t-t-t-t-ttu-tt-er.... d-d-dont think so... :).
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 20 Mar , 2014 12:25 pm

Changing ISP's fixed my packetloss issues, and also tripled the bandwidth for less money.

Maybe BritishTelecom are just bad, but they are no longer my concern.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 20 Mar , 2014 12:40 pm

UT2004 compresses rotators sent over a network to a struct of 3 bytes, giving 256 possible positions each of roll, pitch and yaw. This is why spectator aim is always incorrect at range.

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Thu 20 Mar , 2014 2:14 pm

I see. Is the rotation value range usually dependand on your mouse sensitivity settings? Cause I use 2.75 all the time and it often bothers me when fighting on far range that I only get ~756 possible rotations in pitch roll yaw (which should be 65536, no?).

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 20 Mar , 2014 2:28 pm

Your own aim uses 65536 possible rotations for each component. I should clarify that this compression applies to rotators which do not require full accuracy, such as spectator aim. It doesn't apply to critical rotations like your own aim.

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Thu 20 Mar , 2014 3:32 pm

Well then, why do I not get the full 65536 but only ~756 for each axis (@2.75 sensitivity)? Is it because the mouse cant recognize any smaller movements and therefore higher sensitivity = less rotation positions? Or is that just a bug with my installation?
Heres a Video of what I mean:
(side note: Im standing in the middle of a 256-sided cylinder with "rmode 1" to make things clearer)