Unreal Tournament for Unreal Engine 4 is coming

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Re: Unreal Tournament for Unreal Engine 4 is coming

Post by Skaldy » Thu 14 Aug , 2014 9:05 pm

Looks like they are just porting the UT3 code/weapons/sounds/fonts to UE4, while pretending to develop it from scratch - that would be truly Epic.

Stick a new front end on it, add a few new skins and maps, and of course hack in a load of micro-transaction stuff.

Job done. trollface

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 14 Aug , 2014 9:24 pm

I noticed that some of the UT3 weapons don't even appear to animate in the gameplay videos. So lazy.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Fri 15 Aug , 2014 12:11 am

These are the placeholders so it doesn't really matter. But the movement is getting worse and worse.

Donnie
Forever Alonnie

Post by Donnie » Fri 22 Aug , 2014 1:15 pm

Epic released an official playable pre-alpha, you need to register on UT4 forum to download it. UE4 not needed.

Last edited by Donnie on Fri 22 Aug , 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Fri 22 Aug , 2014 1:22 pm

So, how can

"...incomplete, buggy, full of placeholder art and therefore not in any way representative..."

be followed by

"...offer constructive feedback..." ?

;'D'D

Ollievrthecool

Post by Ollievrthecool » Fri 22 Aug , 2014 2:07 pm

I think a better map is needed for testing on, like I can just do some of the infinite wall dodges but not that well on a map like that. Anyone know a server that someone has hosted or can LDG host one and post it on the UT4 forums?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 22 Aug , 2014 2:09 pm

Why would we care?

Jiffy
Azra is a Hippie

Post by Jiffy » Fri 22 Aug , 2014 2:15 pm

Let's just hope that Micheal Bay or Google don't buy it.

trollface

Ollievrthecool

Post by Ollievrthecool » Fri 22 Aug , 2014 2:44 pm

I quite like some of the shadow effects, lighting and the movement isn't actually that bad. I had a lot of doubts about infinite wall dodge when it was first announced but there are little places to do it which doesn't make it over powered. Im also getting a steady 40-50 fps during gameplay XD

Wired

Post by Wired » Fri 22 Aug , 2014 2:53 pm

@ Skaldy. It can not when you selectively quote, she said the “ultimate version of the game” which means when it is completed. At the moment, in the pre-alpha they are predominantly focusing on dealing with the movement which is what they want feedback on.

I understand why some on here do not wish to be involved in the new UT as I dismissed it for a while as another ut99/ut3 copy. Particularly when the self-appointed ut99 experts declared their game to be the best using totally subjective opinions and narratives masquerading as facts and logic while treating ut2k4 with contempt and referring to the players as zealots. Of course the zealot complaint doesn't apply to their side when they have decided that any new movement/feature/style should be a straight-up copy of ut99 (even the user interface). However, I realised Epic aren't listening to them as much as some people think they are, it is true that dodge-jump is unlikely to be in the vanilla game but they have new movements that are hated by the most vocal not-a-zealot-ut99 players but praised my most normal players.

Quite frankly, I have been playing the game both single player in the engine and online play and I only missed dodge-jump because of force of habit. After a few hour of playing I didn't notice it too much any more. That isn't to say movement is great at the moment as it feels slow in smaller games but fast/spammy in larger games and I would like a bigger jump. Epic did say that when they release a true alpha publicly if game-play or feedback is poor on anything they would make big changes or scrap certain portions. Considering that this is likely to be the only real arena shooter to be released any time soon and that ut2k4 is pretty much dead I would encourage some of you guys to get involved. Even if you can't get the dodge-jump in vanilla, reflecting on the movement's popularity (even fatal1ty posted on the forum asking for dodge-jump) a mutator is going to be made well before release.

I shall collect my cheque from Epic now.