Combat Defibrilators

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
Oska
The wise man

Re: Combat Defibrilators

Post by Oska » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 2:28 pm

We all know that the result would have been the same: no one would give a fook.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 2:31 pm

I care only that someone makes a decent argument that I agree with. iRobot is perhaps the only person who bothers to post in this forum in the optimal manner. If I see people crying about something in game, I ignore it - a good example is the Longhorn, which is whined about almost daily and yet none of the people complaining apparently feel strongly enough to make a thread here with intelligent, reasoned points.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 2:46 pm

Oska wrote:We all know that the result would have been the same: no one would give a fook.
The MGL nerf and HAMR buff were requested by someone else, by way of pointing out that the HAMR had been eclipsed, and then introduced. I didn't agree with those changes.

Therefore my word is not, and has never been, final.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 3:44 pm

Izumo_CZ wrote:@Butcher: You forget one point about thawing. Skilled player will naturally have lesser kill / thaw ratio, because with same "thaw rate", he makes more kills. As for death / thaw ratio, one could say skilled player lives longer and has opportunities to thaw, but just checking it:
iRobot: (1306.7 T / 4102 D) * 2.5 = 0.80 => iRobot thaws 0.8 players per death
Butcher: ( 4201.3 T / 18931 D) * 2.5 = 0.55 => Butcher thaws 0.55 players per death
and for a reference Aza has 0.64 and giZmo has 0.88 etc.

So I'd be more reserved when saying that iRobot doesn't thaw.
=.
Of course I have more deaths! I often get killed when I thaw or get killed trying to thaw...
The opponent also expects you to go close to the team member, is like the pickup places in normal UT... you expect the players to try to pick the weapons so you know where they are going...
Anyway Kill/Thaw or Thaw/Death ratios are not a good measure ... Try this instead where you weight with All Factors:
T/(K+D+T)
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Sat 03 Aug , 2013 12:06 am

When I first designed the volt mitts, I added shieldingwith the thought that if you were standing around just healing others, you'd be quite vulnerable and obvious. The shielding was never intended to prevent you from withstanding all sorts of damage, just to keep you alive a bit longer.

Anyways, if the current changes aren't sufficient, maybe severely drop the recharge rate (or remove it) and have charge start at 0%. Healing others every ten points or so adds 1% to the charge bar. This would reward players for using it as intended and not as some free health by way of shielding. I dunno, just spitting out an idea.

Spectre

Post by Spectre » Sat 03 Aug , 2013 2:45 am

At some point, I'm gonna have to rejoin Ballistic to get schooled by iRobot and experience what the butthurt is about.

Capaco

Post by Capaco » Sat 03 Aug , 2013 10:54 am

CaptainXavious wrote:When I first designed the volt mitts, I added shieldingwith the thought that if you were standing around just healing others, you'd be quite vulnerable and obvious. The shielding was never intended to prevent you from withstanding all sorts of damage, just to keep you alive a bit longer.

Anyways, if the current changes aren't sufficient, maybe severely drop the recharge rate (or remove it) and have charge start at 0%. Healing others every ten points or so adds 1% to the charge bar. This would reward players for using it as intended and not as some free health by way of shielding. I dunno, just spitting out an idea.

Interesting joinha

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 16 Aug , 2013 10:44 am

These are still broken. Offer an impenetrable barrier for the duration of the charge, which is seemingly several seconds.

Non heavy weapons don't even generate hitsounds. Full tilt minigun at point blank with sights (iron sights on a minigun, the hilarity) did no damage. Hit most if not all shots, guy was just standing still shielding and thawing someone.

Riot shield is just for decoration at the moment.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Fri 16 Aug , 2013 2:22 pm

iRobot wrote:These are still broken. Offer an impenetrable barrier for the duration of the charge, which is seemingly several seconds.

Non heavy weapons don't even generate hitsounds. Full tilt minigun at point blank with sights (iron sights on a minigun, the hilarity) did no damage. Hit most if not all shots, guy was just standing still shielding and thawing someone.

Riot shield is just for decoration at the moment.
Well, I do not agree because none of what you say happens to me when I play with them... or is ti that I do not know how to use them correctly?

-I do not get an impenetrable barrier for the duration of the charge.
-I get killed by heavy weapons when I'm thawing and using them. (heavy machinegun killed me always in Machine map yesterday for example)
-Riot shield is used by others like skaldy, I prefer the deffibs.

I just wonder, why don't you use them if they are that good? .=
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 17 Aug , 2013 2:41 am

I'll set up the test server at some point and we can put this to bed.