Combat Defibrilators

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

Combat Defibrilators

Post by iRobot » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 10:51 am

This might seem like a bit of a whine topic, but bear with me, I feel like I'm going to make some valid points here.

1, If a weapon/accessory is used by an overwhelming amount of the top skilled, and a majority of the medium skilled populace, then clearly it is head and shoulders the best-in-slot option currently.

2, If a weapon/accessory has a multitude of roles/functions, then it needs to be average at them all. Jack of all trades, master of none mentality.

So with those initial points out of the way, onto the weapon itself;

- AoE healing/stunning/disorient. Massive burst healing in a large radius, coupled with a reasonably large damage element at close range, and a mild disorient in the form of flash/blur.

I feel this heals too much for the simplicity of one click. The punching healing is fine but the alt fire is just ludicrous. Completely negates any desire to expend KS1 to take G28, or to expend a main slot to take HMC for healing.
My proposal: Remove any recharge from the defibs, effectively giving them one bar only. An 'ammo' supply if you will. They will still function but not and endless source of ridiculous healing/shielding, which leads me on to..

- Shielding mechanic. Another mention of completely outclassing weapons/accessories. This completely voids riot shield, to the point I haven't seen anyone using riot shield in the past 400 games. Why take a riot shield with movement penalty and no healing functions/extremely limited damage potential, when defibs offers you an amazing shield with no penalty that seemingly absorbs 100's of damage?
I've hit people with full burst fire's and receive no hit sounds, so I'm assuming it's complete 100% reduction rather than the 90% of riot shield. Pure ridicule.

I'll reinforce a previous point - if the majority of the server is using this accessory in their melee slot, then it's clearly far above originally intended capability. Nanoblade is one shot kill and I still only see 2-3 people using it, with myself being one of those. That just sums up how overpowered defibs are.

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Re: Combat Defibrilators

Post by CaptainXavious » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 12:14 pm

I'd like to mention that regarding the obscuring of the riot shield, that should be alleviated to a certain degree when I finish up the new model and stuff within the month. Will be adding a melee weapon to go with it, it could potentially be able to a bit more afterwards.

Capaco

Post by Capaco » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 12:22 pm

"They will still function but not and endless source of ridiculous healing/shielding, which leads me on to.."

I mentioned long time ago..the gloves and its shielding are way too strong... use it and run away.
they could at least take 50% dmg from all wep and not to be godlike.

+1 to Remove any recharge from the defibs

(=

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 12:28 pm

1) Most players use defibs because most people use their functionality: To THAW! and clearly is the best option if you work in a Team!, clearly is not you the one thawing robot! I select it because I believe team work is more important than selfish single kill play (Top player style), which exposes me to be killed more!!! But as a Team we win the round regardless of my self score is lowered... If you would like to thaw your mates, this would be your option...
2) Nano is OP and puts down all other melee options if you wanna use Melee. This should be in a primary/secondary weapon slot as before. Why to select other melee that kills in 2-3 hits if with nano I kill immediately?
3) Defibs do not replace the Shield, the shield is far better defense to thaw... see Skaldy
4) Defibs alt fire is strong, but is defense balanced, you will get killed faster with any other melee weapon
5) You may escape with them, Check's technique, but you'll notice is not easy if you try it...you run backwards and face the opponent else is worthless. If you don't face the bullets you get hit same as not having any defibs.
6) KS1 to take G28 is ridiculous... I prefer to make damage so all other options are better... G28 should be back to the grenade slot.
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 12:37 pm

Butcher wrote:1) Most players use defibs because most people use their functionality: To THAW!

3) Defibs do not replace the Shield, the shield is far better defense to thaw... see Skaldy
facepalm

If you're going to raise a valid argument, you need to not contradict yourself in the same post, and avoid trying to attack me in every single post because of my playstyle.

I was yet to mention it in this topic, but I have elsewhere, I honestly feel the way thaw points are tracked does not agree with the defibs. There is no way you can have 3x as many thaw points as me legitimately when I'm alive for a larger portion of each round than you are, and thaw people whenever I see them.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 12:40 pm

iRobot wrote:
Butcher wrote:1) Most players use defibs because most people use their functionality: To THAW!

facepalm

If you're going to raise a valid argument, you need to not contradict yourself in the same post, and avoid trying to attack me in every single post because of my playstyle.
You see what you want... No contradiction, just different tactic: defibs thaw faster, riot thaw slower but protected...
But you don't know what THAW means , do you?
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 12:59 pm

Stop flaming. Robot's playstyle is irrelevant. Argue based around the defibs and not him.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 1:35 pm

@Butcher: You forget one point about thawing. Skilled player will naturally have lesser kill / thaw ratio, because with same "thaw rate", he makes more kills. As for death / thaw ratio, one could say skilled player lives longer and has opportunities to thaw, but just checking it:
iRobot: (1306.7 T / 4102 D) * 2.5 = 0.80 => iRobot thaws 0.8 players per death
Butcher: ( 4201.3 T / 18931 D) * 2.5 = 0.55 => Butcher thaws 0.55 players per death
and for a reference Aza has 0.64 and giZmo has 0.88 etc.

So I'd be more reserved when saying that iRobot doesn't thaw.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 2:14 pm

It's funny because the defib nerf is coming now that iRobot says so.

Like Capaco I've been saying for the last few months that the defib shielding was a joke: you could escape from 5 people firing at you with any problem.

So in less than one day iRobot made the defib nerfed, great job, no wonder why you are untouchable :-)
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 02 Aug , 2013 2:18 pm

I only made a topic in the balance section of the forum with a decent argument and comparisons with other weapons of the same role.

You could have done the same

.=