Availability of the most popular maps??

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
pupimassa

Availability of the most popular maps??

Post by pupimassa » Fri 29 Nov , 2013 9:45 pm

Hi guys,

Im finally posting a new topic about thing that is rly bothering me every evening I play for quite a long time. Its about the map voting.
I suggest longer unavailability of the most played maps on the server. Lets say doubling the time for maps, which had been played more than (100, 150 times?).

Dont know which time gaps exactly could do the balance well, it depends on the discussion here - pls write your opinion!

I love this game for a great variety of weapons and maps. However, maps variety rly doesn't work at all, because farmers just love farming on the same places again and again and noobs will vote maps with higher votes count again and again. There is a simple way to get rid of it and leave the goddamn place to play many brilliant maps which are theoretically available, but practically never played.

Please lets do something with this humdrum and lets get rid of "highlander, downtown, goose, old haven, blackhawk, goliath, osiris, crypt of fook, etc etc..." for at least every second evening! I would be very thankful!

Possibly changing the vote weighting of most popular maps could also help, I dont know how to bring this idea to live technically...

Pls think this idea over, Im convinced it will bring much more fun and refreshment for the server.)

BW is a mod for players which like the "freedom of choice", not for conservative farts which cant kill anyone without playing a well known map
troll2

Capaco

Re: Availability of the most popular maps??

Post by Capaco » Sat 30 Nov , 2013 5:17 pm

I think this topic about the same maps was up sometime ago...

just let the server vote random maps equal to the amount of players on the server, at the end of a game

Perhaps every 2nd weekend, dunno if its easy to handle or it needs some coding

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 30 Nov , 2013 8:50 pm

I too am annoyed to play the same maps over and over. Recently, admins started deleting all the good maps, so that is another reason for the lack of variation.

pupimassa

Post by pupimassa » Sat 30 Nov , 2013 9:44 pm

I dont see a lack of variation, I'd just like to avoid playing same maps every day by changing vote weighting or making them unavailable for longer time in dependence on how much are they played.) Is this possible?

Eiforia
Piska

Post by Eiforia » Sun 01 Dec , 2013 12:31 am

Then you'll have an empty server after few maps :/
"I shall listen to Roy Orbison - "It's Over" in memory of Hamish" - Azarael

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 01 Dec , 2013 12:31 am

No proof of that exists. I, too, am for increasing the repeat limit.

focus

Post by focus » Sun 01 Dec , 2013 1:41 am

And me is not for straight adjusting of one or other parameters. Be it repeat limit or vote weighting. I am for a smarter move. For interchanging old popular maps with fresh ones. For example, it could be implemented as aforementioned adjusting of vote weights for popular maps for each second match we play.

Also, vote weights for different map sizes also are not satisfactory. IMO, coefficients like around 0,5 or even 0,3 are too harsh. I dont think that 1 vote for right map really should overpower 2 or 3 votes for not-so-right map. IMO proportion should be around 1:0,7 - 1:0,8. And 1:0,5 case should be the worst. Or even 1:0,65.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Tue 03 Dec , 2013 4:37 pm

What about just that the server takes some 5 vote points to a random map with low play count that fits for the number of players. Or better yet to add the random map in the voting, you don't see which map will be voted, just the word "Random map" within the voting list :)... and let the users give their vote for random!
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 03 Dec , 2013 5:08 pm

I like the selection currently. Great variety with lots of new maps being played. It is rare to see the same map 2 days in a row.

pupimassa

Post by pupimassa » Tue 03 Dec , 2013 7:51 pm

Well then it depends a lot on a daytime - I see nice maps being played (usually before 8, 9 pm) but i dont have a time to play earlier. When I join about 10pm, I suffer from playing popular maps much more, cause ppl on the full server are always voting "big name" maps.(