FP7

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

FP7

Post by iRobot » Thu 02 Jan , 2014 3:36 pm

Can we have peoples opinions on these?

I personally feel they are a bit too much at the moment. Well over 4/5's of the server has FP7 as their staple loadout. It's so bad that I rarely see pineapples being used anymore, and there used to be more pineapples being crushed than an Um bongo factory.

Perhaps it's a symptom of the same small narrow shitmaps with chokepoints and predictable spawn locations, but these are just being thrown anywhere and everywhere at the moment. I've even seen people running around with them in hand, and cooking them while chasing after people.

The damage on them is immense. As in, by the time you hear the phwooosh of the detonation, you're losing 25-40 a tick and can't see where you are going.

My proposed fix is to NOT refill grenades when you thaw. Then there wouldn't be FP7's thrown everywhere like wrigleys wrappers and people would be more sensible with them.

Ollievrthecool

Re: FP7

Post by Ollievrthecool » Thu 02 Jan , 2014 3:57 pm

I do have my doubts about them. they seem to be unmissable if I jump over them, no matter how high I jump I always seem to get hurt by them and it is frustrating. on the topic of grenades, I used a pineapple myself and it really good if you know what you are doing with it. when using a pineapple, you need to see your opponent before they see you, then take the pin off, then throw for unmissable results.

The toxic grenade has had many buffs and it is in my mind, perfect. not too spammy, not too over powered (a bit like the xmk sub dart). the toxic grenades do not need editing and see completely balanced.

My opinion: FP7's however you just throw and hope for the best. they are nothing like pineapples and are just the meaning of spam they need to be made so you only get hurt if you walk into it not jump miles above it. also, they are un avoidable when on a lift and I know that on a teleporter they have been sorted. they need to be sorted so that they cannot be used on/at a lift as people camp the top of lifts and throw fire down. its slightly op. sometimes also you get set on fire from the fp7 and sometimes you don't. it seems like a bit of luck that has to be on your side when you are targeted with an fp7. it needs some kind of buff weather it does damage to you instantly of it does damage to you over time.

Hope my opinion came in handy

focus

Post by focus » Thu 02 Jan , 2014 4:02 pm

It is because number of pineapples was reduced to one, instead of two. There is no much use for one pineapple. So, FP7 is the better choice now.

I believe its good, because it completely fulfills its purpose: area denial. Toxic nades are much weaker in this. Personally, i either choose FP7 or stimpack for loadout. Or radiobomb in certain cases.

pupimassa

Post by pupimassa » Thu 02 Jan , 2014 4:11 pm

I hate fp7 - combined with well known maps where most players in teams have them - pure hell. On the other hand, you are able to spot thrown grenade and run away quite easy, just pay more attention.
I think grenade resupply after thaw is ok, keep in mind other grenades users. I personally use the heavytech flash, which is ridiculously weak compared to fp7, straight kill is rare. Having two of those in the loadout would be fair enough!

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Thu 02 Jan , 2014 4:16 pm

I can't remember if there is RFF on them. If not, why not?

My main issue with FP7 (and alt Acid too) is that they cause significant FPS fluctuations and my poor 5-year old PC gets all stuttery. If any damage adjustment were to be made, I'd appreciate a graphical impact reduction at the same time if possible.

Michie
Banned

Post by Michie » Thu 02 Jan , 2014 4:17 pm

iRobot wrote:Can we have peoples opinions on these?

I personally feel they are a bit too much at the moment. Well over 4/5's of the server has FP7 as their staple loadout. It's so bad that I rarely see pineapples being used anymore, and there used to be more pineapples being crushed than an Um bongo factory.

Perhaps it's a symptom of the same small narrow shitmaps with chokepoints and predictable spawn locations, but these are just being thrown anywhere and everywhere at the moment. I've even seen people running around with them in hand, and cooking them while chasing after people.

The damage on them is immense. As in, by the time you hear the phwooosh of the detonation, you're losing 25-40 a tick and can't see where you are going.

My proposed fix is to NOT refill grenades when you thaw. Then there wouldn't be FP7's thrown everywhere like wrigleys wrappers and people would be more sensible with them.
Myself think it fine. I use it to stop thawing. Also for Defence trying to get way. It not an instant kill. Most jump out and come back to thaw. I also see players run right into the fire to thaw. Most live from what ive seen .I rather see your (Famous Rail) and (Nano) be limited to (1 round per map). This way we don't have these ass hats abusing the piss out of players and weapons. Both of them are 1 shot kill weapons.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 02 Jan , 2014 4:18 pm

Michie wrote:I rather see your (Famous Rail) and (Nano) be limited to (1 round per map). This way we don't have these ass hats abusing the piss out of players and weapons. Both of them are 1 shot kill weapons.
I value any opinion but lets keep this topic to the FP7 and grenades specifically.

@ Skaldy: RFF was removed due to you having no control over people walking into it (and trolls who would walk into it on purpose just to kill you). It is an interesting idea though, perhaps a system that damages both the thrower and the ally at once, to make people more aware of where they throw them + to stop trolls.

It would also help stop the "FP7 crawl" that I have noticed. Where one team throws an FP7, moves forward into that fire and continuing to fight. Like zone control but gone mad..

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Thu 02 Jan , 2014 4:36 pm

Oh yeah, I remember now. But now we're in a situation where "floor coverage" weps like those have no penalty for the thrower's team, with regard to access denial or careful placement.

Perhaps we should have both RFF *and* FF for them - but the solution must not re-enable trolls, clearly.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 02 Jan , 2014 4:42 pm

Let it be so.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 02 Jan , 2014 4:57 pm

So what will you do?

On another note, RFF would also remove the need for blue fire. :D :D