Dark Star

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Dark Star

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 12:31 am

Firstly, the weapon is 95 - 100% hip accurate and users gain an advantage not aiming over aiming. I think the whole balance should be shifted to match the Nova Staff, in terms of accuracy, swaying (not very technical I know!). The user takes no self-damage whilst not aiming.

Secondly, I fear the vampiric regeneration is completely overpowered - we tested it out on Thursday and a single 'hit' gave me well in access of 100 hp. The user is almost impossible to kill if using the saw and is not pushed back.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Mecha
V.I.P. Member

Re: Dark Star

Post by Mecha » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 1:04 am

I can confirm those, in many situations Dark Star can prove extremely tough to deal with for lower skilled players, not us alone. I find myself forced to take A49 only to counter Dark Star melee rushes with its alt because I have no other choice.
↑ ↓ A A B ← → A B ↑ A ↓ → → ← B ↑ ← A → B ← → A ← ↑ A ↓ A → ← B Select

I did it. Can you?

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 1:20 am

The user is almost impossible to kill if using the saw and is not pushed back.
Any charged melee kills you in one shot, with ds you at least have a minor chance to escape (not to mention that chainsaw consumes ammo). Chainsaw is frustrating because it creates an illusion that you're supposed to be able to escape it easily whereas in fact you aren't. Don't let it close and you won't die.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 1:22 am

from Aug last year
Butcher wrote:could you please do something about Darkstar melee abuse? Is really unbalanced and is the players using it are having these lame techniques like:
-just waiting hidden next to doors
-Getting in combat only in corridors or small rooms.
-jumping inside the lift shafts to just get you at close range
-Run through the maps just hitting anything that goes on the way, besides they have additional speed and they use of speed combo. Like it was with normal melee but with the healing per damage...

The vampirism makes the weapon practically impossible to counter with any other weapon.
With more souls they get more damage.. is ridiculous....
Apart of close range combat, also from a distance the weapon is equivalent or better than any other... a slow bolt well placed has damage as a sniper, but also limits the view of the victim...
same shit different day :)
solution: tears...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 1:27 am

-just waiting hidden next to doors
-Getting in combat only in corridors or small rooms.
-jumping inside the lift shafts to just get you at close range
-Run through the maps just hitting anything that goes on the way, besides they have additional speed and they use of speed combo. Like it was with normal melee but with the healing per damage...
Works for any melee.
The vampirism makes the weapon practically impossible to counter with any other weapon.
Any shotgun will do. You don't have to stick to sniper rifles regardless of the map design, you know.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 1:35 am

Charged melee from front shouldn't kill with one shot. And most shotguns are too random in their damage distribution to be able to slow a user down before he jumps on you and replenishes his health. Not to mention the hip fire being more accurate than the iron sights.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 1:43 am

And most shotguns are too random in their damage
Well, not sure what do you mean by random, but they work for me. M763 has gas grenades and pretty good damage. MRS has heavy knockback regardless of the damage + slowdown taser which is impossible to miss once you hit it once. Coach simply does crazy damage, it can oneshot people with primary at melee range.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 1:49 am

Well for me the damage seems quite random ; sometimes I deal 20, sometimes 80, sometimes 140. But regardless my point is I don't feel shotguns are a legitimate counter dark star tactic. But the hip accurate bolts are of greater concern than melee

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 12:10 pm

By single hit, you're referring to a hit of the chainsaw?

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 12:25 pm

Yes, well a 'hit' being a consumption of perhaps 4 or 5 ammo whilst using the chainsaw. The health gained for such is in excess of 100.

And apologies, I should have done a bit more testing before writing the first post. The weapon is actually bugged - the single bolt is 100% accurate from hip, including whilst dodging and jumping, until the user activates iron sights. Any use from hip after the iron sights has been activated/deactivated results in the proper hip accuracy (i.e. it will never hit :D). This is then reset when the player dies. The self-damage from hip is also more prominent after iron sights activation.