Game constantly crashing (only BW Freon)

For technical help, links and documentation specific to Ballistic Weapons.
pupimassa

Game constantly crashing (only BW Freon)

Post by pupimassa » Fri 05 Jul , 2013 9:40 am

Hey guys!

Im having unpleasant issues when playing BW. The whole game sometimes just quit itself without any report - it can happen anytime - game crashes and it can be opened again and Im able to join server a minute later.

Its happening quite often and Im really sick about it. Strange fact is that its a problem which appears ONLY playing Freon on BW server - singleplayer never crashed, other online servers, neither BW dm or tdm:O

Could you guys know some solution? Yeah, mmm...playing on 15" MBP (dont laugh!) with OSX 10.6.8, the performance is great, everything runs very well - only this foking issue. I tried to reset UT by deleting .ini files - didnt help. Could probably connect via Ethernet help? Could it be the problem with wi.fi? really dont know what else...

Sry for noobish post, have a nice day! pupi

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Re: Game constantly crashing (only BW Freon)

Post by Butcher » Fri 05 Jul , 2013 10:13 am

Has happened to me but not that often. My old UT version had a message like when a pointer goes out of the memory stack. The steam version just quits the whole game when the server crashes.
Maybe you should update your UT, check if you have the latest version there is, and patch it :)...
PS: Erasing *.ini files only deletes your configuration, if there is a program problem you must reintall the whole software and replace the *ini files for you to restore your config :)
PS: Btw welcome to the forum :D
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

pupimassa

Post by pupimassa » Fri 05 Jul , 2013 10:30 am

Thanks for a reply, Butch. I dont think Im running out of memory, although I plan to revive my mac and upgrade RAM, I work as a photographer and 8GB is a need (have 4GB)
I have a 3369v and it seems that its the last one,/
Probably purchase official game from Steam could help but Steam gaming system annoys me so first Id like to avoid it.)
I've seen that you can switch off some effects using BW ingame preferences - maybe that could help?
my MBP has nVidia 9400+9600, are they old for some effects?:)

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 05 Jul , 2013 10:37 am

I think UT2004 suffers heavily from memory leaking.

I have 6GB RAM but it's always having texture load issues and saying out of virtual memory (page file is 18gb, bitch please)

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Fri 05 Jul , 2013 10:46 am

I think the Coronas or Dynamic Lighting options crash the BW mod, but only on certain graphics card driver & operating system combinations.

Go to the UT "Settings | Display" menu and, on the right-hand side:

1) Turn all settings to Low, except use Blob Shadows.
2) Turn all the tick boxes off, except Projectors and max fog distance.
3) Cross your fingers :)

pupimassa

Post by pupimassa » Fri 05 Jul , 2013 10:55 am

ohh, wouldnt it look too crappy than?:D
Ok, later when Ill have some time to play Ill try reduce some setting.)
I really like when game looks cool so its true I possibly kinda boosted display settings.))

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Fri 05 Jul , 2013 10:57 am

For what I know, the computer spec shall be ok! you need to fulfill the minimum requirements for UT, that is for a 2004 computer. You must have a 2009-2013 (I presume) computer... Are you using a mac for UT? maybe is just compatibility issue because UT was built for PC, and linux/mac was an adaptation of the program. If you have an original in dvd/cd with a key, you have the original version, is the same as steam.
I suggest you Try:
-Save your *ini files (UT folder\system\) and cache folder (in UT folder) in a separate backup folder in your computer.
-Uninstall the program completely with the official uninstall functionality (in the installer)
-restart
-Re install the program with the installer
-reset the *.ini in the system folder and cache folder in the UT folder (where you took them)

-Go and play and see if it crashes...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Mecha
V.I.P. Member

Post by Mecha » Fri 05 Jul , 2013 11:17 am

I vaguely remember being said that Ballistic Blood caused crashes now and then. Maybe disabling those would help.
↑ ↓ A A B ← → A B ↑ A ↓ → → ← B ↑ ← A → B ← → A ← ↑ A ↓ A → ← B Select

I did it. Can you?

pupimassa

Post by pupimassa » Fri 05 Jul , 2013 11:35 am

Thank all for replys. Still Im concerned crashing is due to some specific BW setting and I should find out which, because performance is great playing other newer games with greater requirements. I wonder, whether Ill enjoy playing without ballistic blood, lol.))
I tried playing on Air 11" and it runs very well on that small beast, but crashed too.(

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 05 Jul , 2013 12:37 pm

If Blood Particle Effects (ballistic in console -> Blood tab) are on, lockouts can result but this is disabled by default in Pro and would affect all gametypes.