Minecraft 1.8 News

Discuss the Minecraft server here.
Pinky
Disappeared Administrator

Minecraft 1.8 News

Post by Pinky » Mon 08 Sep , 2014 11:28 pm

In early September, the newest Minecraft version 1.8 was officially released and some of you already asked when our server will be updated to the new version. Recently there have been some developments regarding the Minecraft server version we use.

As you know, we don’t use the official server version released by Mojang, the company that develops and sells Minecraft. The official server version from Mojang doesn’t offer any possibilities for plugins. That means that running such a vanilla server is very dangerous as it doesn’t even offer the slightest capabilities for protecting the server. Instead we use an open-source server version of Minecraft with a plugin API, allowing us to install and use plugins to expand the limited capabilities of the original server version. In particular, we are currently using a fork from the Bukkit server API, used by most multiplayer servers.

Roughly three weeks ago, the leader of the Bukkit dev team, EvilSeph, announced that he is going to resign and that further development on their server version won’t continue due to lack the of support it would require to update the server to the 1.8 version. Shortly after, Mojang released a statement that they were actually owning Bukkit for the last two years and that, therefore, EvilSeph was in no position to close down Bukkit. Mojang further ensured that the Bukkit server version would be updated to 1.8 under their charge.
Some days later, however, a former Bukkit developer filed a DMCA complaint against the Bukkit project, stating that it violates the GPL license it was released under by bundling it with the closed-source Minecraft server code and that, therefore, his contributed code must not be used anymore. As a result, all downloads of Bukkit had to be removed from their site. Since then, many members of the former Bukkit dev and admin staff resigned as well.

The same DMCA complaint was also filed against the Spigot server project (the Bukkit fork that we use), forcing them to remove their downloads as well. It is currently not possible to download any alternate server version which relies in the Bukkit API. If and when it will ever get updated is not clear at the moment. Mojang, so far, has not released any information on how they plan to proceed with this mess.

All we can do at the moment is to wait…

Calypto

Re: Minecraft 1.8 News

Post by Calypto » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 3:11 am

lol it's over

1.7.2 is where we stay for good; it's only going to get worse from there because mojang's plan is to kill off multiplayer and force realms ;'D'D

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 10:57 am

This is retarted. If I read right and Mojang owns Bukkit then all he needs is DCMA counter-notice. According to GPL license, the owner of the code is Mojang. You don't maintain any rights with the code if you contribute to the project. And also it's the other way: derivative work of GPL must remain opensource, whereas GPL code depending on proprietary code doesn't mean that the proprietary code must be made opensource.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 11:07 am

Izumo wrote:This is retarted.
=.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 12:07 pm

Calypto wrote:1.7.2 is where we stay for good; it's only going to get worse from there because mojang's plan is to kill off multiplayer and force realms
No, they know that realms can never replace the multiplayer servers and that without an up-to-date Bukkit server the multiplayer community will die. That's the reason why they came out of dark and took over the development when Bukkit was about to be closed down. What they did not anticipated was, that some former developers would be so pissed off about the fact that they contributed to an open-source project which was owned by a company for two years and which (indirectly) made some profit out of their non-paid work. Mojang's long-term plan is to release their own official plugin API - but since an announcement two years ago nothing happened so far.

In principle, Bukkit stood on shaky legal ground from day one. What they did was, to take the offical Minecraft server binary, decompile it, link the Bukkit plugin API to it, and compile it into a new server package. This of course violated the copyrights of Mojang, who, however, never legally intervened. The DCMA complaint now was filed because the Bukkit API, released under a GPL license, depends on the Minecraft code (close source), and therefore could not have been legally distributed together with the server code under a GPL licence. In order to make it legal, Mojang would need to release their server code under a GPL license as well (which will, of course, never happen). However, all developers who contributed to this project knew this from the very beginning. They just never cared about this issue until now.

From what I get so far, Mojang's line of defense currently seems to be that their own server code is not identical to the decompiled Minecraft binary the Bukkit project uses and therefore is not subject to the GPL licence. They deny the claim that any of their proprietary code is used with their consent within the Bukkit project. But I guess that's for lawyers to decide :?
Izumo wrote: According to GPL license, the owner of the code is Mojang.
I never looked into the exact licence Bukkit was released under but it seems that the developers retained the ownership of their contributions.

focus

Post by focus » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 4:55 pm

Pff. Why to care about legal battle far far away.
We have much more close troubles.
Our server is obliterated, right?
Even if it could be restored, who will play on it?
Pinky, Caly and focus?
Is it worth the effort. Maybe, instead, its better for all of us together
go to another existent server (popular one)?
We still will be able to play together there.
And there will be no hassle of maintaining things.

Definitelynotjay

Post by Definitelynotjay » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 5:08 pm

focus wrote:Even if it could be restored, who will play on it?
Pinky, Caly and focus?
Me. 4lone

But honestly, why not just start a new survival server? Do we really need protection? Who will grief it? No one really plays that much. We know all the people who play.
You see a mouse trap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge.
They will try to kill you. Kill them back.

focus

Post by focus » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 5:33 pm

I believe that its not a good idea to start or reset servers frequently.
Minecraft IMO is the game where its best to start the world and keep it as long as possible.
Coz of the general effort, necessary to get something in the game, build things, etc.

Definitelynotjay

Post by Definitelynotjay » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 5:41 pm

Well, generally, the world isn't deleted. That makes it much more difficult to continue. I understand that you put a lot of time into building a house, whereas I just dig into the side of a mountain. But I for one, don't have high hopes of restoring the server.
You see a mouse trap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge.
They will try to kill you. Kill them back.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 6:08 pm

Definitelynotjay wrote:
focus wrote:Even if it could be restored, who will play on it?
Pinky, Caly and focus?

Me.
And don't forget Flo (should return soon from Japan), Lizat, Gizmo, Jonny & Canis (haven't seen them lately though - not even on the BW), and some other who occasionally drop by
Definitelynotjay wrote: But honestly, why not just start a new survival server? Do we really need protection? Who will grief it? No one really plays that much. We know all the people who play.
Running a vanilla server is the worst thing you can do. It offers no advanced config whatsoever. You can't even tell the server that it should regularly save the map. It would also only possible to have a vanilla server with whitelisted people then, because any stranger who visits the server can burn down entire forests or the spawn town with just one flint and steel. And without any plugin to stop the fire you can't do anything against a spreading fire.

And the entire server is not lost. Even if I should not have a copy of the entire map, the most important builds are still there - including the entire old map. In that case I probably create a new map with a random seed and add the old buildings closer to the spawn town. The rest of the map wil not be pre-generated this time but you would again be able to explore the world as you like.