Hypothetical question for Invasion players

Discuss the BW-Invasion server here.
CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Hypothetical question for Invasion players

Post by CaptainXavious » Mon 06 Oct , 2014 1:19 am

Would you guys be interested in a take on INV RPG BW where instead of playing invasion, you play in say, a modified version of ONS-Dria and monsters would not just spawn in waves but would instead have various portals they come from that you have to destroy?

The monsters would typically stick around the portals they spawn from, and destroying the portal disables it for a while, eventually a new one comes to replace it, with a different theme of monsters coming from it. You might have a portal that spawns Quake1 monsters of various sorts, or one that spawns different Doom3 monsters, for example. Portals that are further from your base have higher level monsters, portals near your base have lower levels, and the enemy base would be home to some sort of big boss monster.

There would be no win or lose condition to this, dying results in respawning back at home base, and encounter spots wouldn't have to be limited to just "destroy the portal". There could be variations on it like defend spot for X minutes as progressively tougher enemies spawn in, or save the NPCs from the monsters, or possibly something that requires you to bring something to the gate to shut it down. All just different takes on the basic idea of kill all the monsters in the area, but with different enemy groups and objectives it make for some interesting options.

Alongside this would be some reforms to the existing RPG system, overhauling the enchantment system (the artificer skill tree would be gone and instead rare, common, or legendary single use enchantment gems would be item drops). There would probably be a removal or reworking of the artifacts in general to make them at most, single use items, but there could be multiple ways to get them, and there would probably be an item type that gives you various bonuses if you have any armor, and would also be subject to the enchantment system. There'd probably be a quite a few changes to the skill system so its a bit more compartmentalized, you'd specialize in one of the four base adrenaline combos (those would have their own trees that could augment one of the adren combos or give you passive bonuses that are in line with the combos themselves) and also specializing in your various "skills" (shotguns, pistols, machine guns, etc., plus medic or engineer abilities). There would also be the potential to have merchants to buy things from, and very possibly some basic quest system in place, who knows.

Damage types could be grouped up into like 5 basic groups, such as fire, electric, chemical, explosion and kinetic, and from there you could really make things interesting by giving various monster types different resistances, or working with generic status effects, making enchantments more specialized so that instead of +12% damage resistance, you might get +26% fire resistance and +13% explosion resistence, there are quite a few options opened up with this.
  • Pros:

-Plays more like an MMORPG
    -More varied gameplay
    -Vastly different leveled players can enjoy the game at their preferred difficulty
    -Players are rewarded better loot for exploring and venturing further out
    -Loot drops are much more interesting
    -Game wouldn't have a lose condition
    -Open world, open ended play
    -NPCs like merchants and quest givers could be possible
    -Lots of options to introduce new content to the game
    -Shared world, individual objectives: Players play how they want, team work is optional

Cons:

-Plays more like an MMORPG
    -Game would probably be a bit more difficult in general because monsters don't come to you
    -Access to powerful enchantments would be much more restricted
    -Many RPG elements changed, artificer skills would be non-existant
    -There would be less maps available, each one would probably have to be customized by hand
    -Map won't end with any win condition, would have to map-vote out
    -Enchantments would be less simple, Resistance for example would only apply to certain damage types
I can't promise I'd be able to make this happen on my own, but I would try my best to at least make a prototype of the basic game type (using Old School Monster Tools) if there are enough people interested in this.

Definitelynotjay

Re: Hypothetical question for Invasion players

Post by Definitelynotjay » Mon 06 Oct , 2014 8:32 am

Sounds cool. I'd definitely give it a go! joinha
You see a mouse trap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge.
They will try to kill you. Kill them back.

Satin
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Satin » Mon 06 Oct , 2014 1:05 pm

If you're using big maps you need to include vehicles to get around

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Mon 06 Oct , 2014 1:47 pm

Sounds cool...
:)
maybe just use random spawns in normal big maps... like "forest of souls", "rail"
Only thing I personally don't find attractive is the endless quest... maybe limit time... or as in invasion, make portal waves...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Mon 06 Oct , 2014 2:11 pm

CaptainXavious wrote:monsters don't come to you
95% of the invasion population camps
CaptainXavious wrote:-There would be less maps available, each one would probably have to be customized by hand
I can do this

Satin
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Satin » Mon 06 Oct , 2014 3:56 pm

Calypto wrote: 95% of the invasion population camps
Only because you've made it so it's impossible to stay alive in the open.

taries

Post by taries » Mon 06 Oct , 2014 5:49 pm

This kinda reminds me Death Warants Monster Evolution gametype, there are 4 classes: Paladin,Support,Berserk,Necromancer, monstrers do 5 different types of damage: physical,fire,cold,lighting,poison. Server is currently private, you need to contact admin for acces, if you will be interested in code or something i can give ya contact.

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Mon 06 Oct , 2014 5:51 pm

Satin wrote:If you're using big maps you need to include vehicles to get around
Definitely, they can be implemented a lot better this way too. You could buy a vehicle from a merchant or have a skill tree to upgrade your vehicle, for example. Heck, they could be a random drop.
Butcher wrote:Sounds cool...
:)
maybe just use random spawns in normal big maps... like "forest of souls", "rail"
Only thing I personally don't find attractive is the endless quest... maybe limit time... or as in invasion, make portal waves...
Right, there is definitely room for adjusting that. Portals would be destroyable and stuff, but maybe killing the big bad boss would be the win condition, I'm not sure. The thing about it though, is its still not fun for low level players if the monsters are too high levelled for them to fight and they ultimately wouldn't be able to contribute much to winning the game. Having one ending condition would probably still exclude them from it. Map vote could still end it if people wanted a change.
Calypto wrote:
CaptainXavious wrote:monsters don't come to you
95% of the invasion population camps
Right, but this is sort of a problem with Invasion anyways, there's not a lot of reason to actually want to go out and explore if you have a cozy little base set up and the monsters will seek you out anyways.
Calypto wrote:
CaptainXavious wrote:-There would be less maps available, each one would probably have to be customized by hand
I can do this
That's awesome. I think a good portion of it can be done using this:

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/User:Super ... nsta_Toolz

That could set up the basic encounter system and all the things that come with it like quests and merchants, but I'm not real sure how to make recurring or somewhat randomized quests, or even given the monsters different levels based on distance. Some of it would need to be programmed up for this, I think.
taries wrote:This kinda reminds me Death Warants Monster Evolution gametype, there are 4 classes: Paladin,Support,Berserk,Necromancer, monstrers do 5 different types of damage: physical,fire,cold,lighting,poison. Server is currently private, you need to contact admin for acces, if you will be interested in code or something i can give ya contact.
That's neat, I'm not sure how much of it I could use, I think splitting up damage types wouldn't be too hard anyways, and the classes probably aren't in line with what I have in mind, but it might be useful for ideas and reference.

Ollievrthecool

Post by Ollievrthecool » Mon 06 Oct , 2014 5:58 pm

Perhaps one of these "missions" could be like waves of enemies trying to destroy a power core, like in Sanctum 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHwlvzaNBDk
Also, having it an open world would be a problem because many people have bad machines, even big maps, like CTF-PineRidge lagged peoples computers to hell so I would hate to know what kind of lag people would get on an "open world"

taries

Post by taries » Mon 06 Oct , 2014 6:01 pm

Right, there is definitely room for adjusting that. Portals would be destroyable and stuff, but maybe killing the big bad boss would be the win condition, I'm not sure. The thing about it though, is its still not fun for low level players if the monsters are too high levelled for them to fight and they ultimately wouldn't be able to contribute much to winning the game. Having one ending condition would probably still exclude them from it. Map vote could still end it if people wanted a change.
This brings me again to DW, in Invasion there is solution which is that monster lvl = to lvl of player with lowest lvl. In Monster Evolution theres are 4 ranks: Rank 1: lvl 1-49, rank 2: lvl 50-99, rank 3: lvl 100-149, rank 4: lvl 150-200 (lvl cap is 200), at each rank you unlock stronger things to buy, each map has recomended lvl, so there are easy maps and hard maps, lvl 150 can play map for lvl 1-40 but he wont get any experience. Other solution could be make monster lvl average from players lvls so if there are 2 player one is lvl 50 and other is 100, monster lvl will be 75.