Question about some skills + weapon implementation

Discuss the BW-Invasion server here.
CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Question about some skills + weapon implementation

Post by CaptainXavious » Sat 03 Oct , 2015 5:47 am

Innocent question, but why is the combat wrench a medic skill rather than an engineer skill? It seems like it fits pretty nicely with the engineer base defense setup, kind of questionable for medics.

And also, why are none of the other medic weapons like bloodhound and the proton pack not available through skills for the medic? Having the ability to have weak healing from the very start at a low level (does lvl 1 Medic even guarantee you any way to heal?) plus 30% enemy slowdown on alt seems like a nice option for a wide range of levels, likewise, the proton pack having the ability to reduce enemy damage by 90% (could see that needing a monster specific nerf though) and being able to buff team mate damage by 100% seems useful at all ranges of levels.

Calypto

Re: Question about some skills + weapon implementation

Post by Calypto » Sat 03 Oct , 2015 6:27 am

CaptainXavious wrote:Innocent question, but why is the combat wrench a medic skill rather than an engineer skill? It seems like it fits pretty nicely with the engineer base defense setup, kind of questionable for medics.
There are too few redeeming qualities to being a medic when you can have the artifacts class instead. Medics don't do a lot of damage.
CaptainXavious wrote:And also, why are none of the other medic weapons like bloodhound and the proton pack not available through skills for the medic? Having the ability to have weak healing from the very start at a low level (does lvl 1 Medic even guarantee you any way to heal?) plus 30% enemy slowdown on alt seems like a nice option for a wide range of levels, likewise, the proton pack having the ability to reduce enemy damage by 90% (could see that needing a monster specific nerf though) and being able to buff team mate damage by 100% seems useful at all ranges of levels.
They can be, it's easy to add. The issue is having multiple weapons for one slot, which is annoying. I'm not saying I won't add them, but the incentive is low because of that issue.

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Sat 03 Oct , 2015 6:51 am

The Proton Pack has the potential to be a pretty solid utility, and its damage rampup is pretty easy to pull off against monsters, giving medics a really solid, infinite ammo weapon with really strong DPS (at least in this setting, where you can pretty easily reach max rampup) and the potential to cripple bosses with minimal risk with the Nuetrino Charge primary gives you the potential to really swing the battle if you're willing to let someone else take the experience points.

Would be nice to be able to grant experience through the proton pack's alternate function though. Haven't tested it but I am pretty sure it won't, since no healing or damage is done directly through them.

Medic class by its very role sort of limits its potential for damage, but it seems like the medic class in BW Inv really doesn't do anything particularly amazing for being so specialized as a healer. Engineer can place heal totems, anyone can get regeneration and other damage mitigation, Medic enchantment is a random drop for anyone, and there are still healing weapons. Is there anyway you could add a skill that regenerates team mate armor whenever you heal them, or give them a temporary damage buff for X seconds after healing them? Something that augments the medic's healing in a way beyond HP++ would be pretty neat, like maybe give healed team mates a temporary Retaliation type effect that does damage on the Medic's behalf.

Not really sure how viable that is without some heavy coding though.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sun 04 Oct , 2015 10:49 pm

CaptainXavious wrote:The Proton Pack has the potential to be a pretty solid utility, and its damage rampup is pretty easy to pull off against monsters, giving medics a really solid, infinite ammo weapon with really strong DPS (at least in this setting, where you can pretty easily reach max rampup) and the potential to cripple bosses with minimal risk with the Nuetrino Charge primary gives you the potential to really swing the battle if you're willing to let someone else take the experience points.
Seems like a decent weapon, but it has issues. When making it infinite, its charge goes up to 100, meaning you can't use primary.
CaptainXavious wrote:Medic class by its very role sort of limits its potential for damage, but it seems like the medic class in BW Inv really doesn't do anything particularly amazing for being so specialized as a healer. Engineer can place heal totems, anyone can get regeneration and other damage mitigation, Medic enchantment is a random drop for anyone, and there are still healing weapons. Is there anyway you could add a skill that regenerates team mate armor whenever you heal them, or give them a temporary damage buff for X seconds after healing them? Something that augments the medic's healing in a way beyond HP++ would be pretty neat, like maybe give healed team mates a temporary Retaliation type effect that does damage on the Medic's behalf.

Not really sure how viable that is without some heavy coding though.
The totem skill would have to be reworked, I'm guessing healing totems would have to be moved to level 4 and level 3 be an extra totem/max for engineer.

I believe I have the source code from Druid'sRPG227, the engineer class can heal shield. I can send it if you are interested.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Mon 05 Oct , 2015 4:04 pm

E90 is bugged for invasion. When you reach 100% stops working, so you may not use it with any infinite ammo or medic enchant.
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Mon 05 Oct , 2015 5:00 pm

That isn't exactly a bug, the weapon isn't meant to be able to fire primary when at 100%, as a means to keep people from firing away without some sort of limit.

Why not just prohibit those enchantments from being available for it, or tweak the code so it boosts ammo to 99% rather than 100%?

@Calypto yeah sure, send me both the latest source code and the base code, won't make any promises but I can look around. If the medic can actually have more meaningful heals and apply buffs, that would sort of make them different from the other roles and sort of give some justification to them, I think.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 05 Oct , 2015 5:14 pm

Infinite ammo is a terrible enchantment anyway. Why design something that allows you to be stationary on the map? Ammo regen also, but less so.. the ammo pickups are out there, go and get them :)

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Tue 06 Oct , 2015 4:35 pm

iRobot wrote:Infinite ammo is a terrible enchantment anyway. Why design something that allows you to be stationary on the map? Ammo regen also, but less so.. the ammo pickups are out there, go and get them :)
Goes against the general game strategy... you see, most players, camp, hide and shoot, and this way they survive. Does not require skill, just luck and having a good weapon. You actually can not survive in shoot/run tactic in invasion.
Infinite ammo is nice only for KS2,KS1 weapons as M290, HAMR and G5, others don't have the possibility. The rest of the weapons resupply does the trick.

E90 which is a medic weapon does not work with medic enchant. Is not a bug, a design flaw ;)... LOL Otherwise serves the purpose. But normally you just hide and keep fireing through the hole, it works.

You need to add this to your game rig nonetheless:
hqdefault.jpg
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Tue 06 Oct , 2015 9:28 pm

See, this is why I'm discouraged from doing stuff with RPG Invasion.

Also, I totally need a mapper to help me follow through with my idea from earlier. If someone can just take some existing maps, add OSMT monsters and events to them, you can have a coop mission with an end goal to progress towards rather than working around UT04's very poor attempt at PvE game play.

EDIT: Also, anyone heard of Monster Assault? It takes assault maps and adds monsters to defend objectives. Might be something neat to try out.

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Wed 07 Oct , 2015 2:49 pm

I'm sure I've played maps on a trial server before, where there were objectives to complete and monsters on the way. It used the Satore Monster Pack. It wasn't RPG though.
I don't have them on my pc, but i can check on my old laptop. Also it might still exist on some of the remaining trial servers, I'll see what I can find.
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...