RACE-RainbowRace

For posting your maps.
darkelf
Disappeared Administrator

Re: RACE - NetherRace

Post by darkelf » Sun 03 Nov , 2013 11:45 am

Just gave the map a run through..

-The bsp is horrible. Granted its pretty much the original mappers fault.... Granted only us mappers would really care about that.. But seriously.. its ugly. I would almost say redo the map in static mesh's for the main path kinda like what I did for scorp coaster. Re did the whole map with sf static meshes. The only thing i see that can't necessarily be done with those meshes is the banked turns. You can do it but bsp gives you a bit more flexibility and its easier to do(less time consuming). This is totally up to you.. but it would make a huge improvement. Could always used staticmesh paths from skyrace or another race map or make your own.

-The idea of falling and just driving around to get back to start.. Not really needed.. most people would rather just die and start over. I think it would be better to just have a kill volume at ground level. Less of a pain to deal with I think.

-I haven't seen this played online yet but.. the quantum scorps could be a game play killer. With a track thats about 3 min long your going to have several encounters with the enemy.. quantum is pretty hard to fight off for that type of time frame. Not sure if your going for a trial map (which is what it was originally) or a combat style map. Right now its a mix.. its having an identity crisis.

-The team based short cuts. They say stand here to trigger. It should say "Park vehicle here to trigger".

-Exploits! The possibility of exploits even in the latest version is really high. Once people get familiar with the path there going to start to see exactly where they can jump to gain shortcut advantage. A lot of these exploits can't be blocked by the normal method of blocking volumes without making the map look like a floating wall mess.. Might want to consider the idea of creating tubes in areas where exploits are possible.

-The theme. Its rainbow which is cool and you can still keep it that way. But the skybox and base floor with its funky looking Dr. Seuss trees need to be worked with. To many items touching track that don't need to be. Just needs to be cleaned up. The skybox is ugly as hell.. if they guy even used a skybox.. I actually doubt he did..Might want to check and see what you can do to clean it up.

-The directions static meshes helped but still got a little confused at some fall points as you can't see the track until your off the edge. Only thing I could think of is maybe add some well placed holes in track at those areas where you can see the path below.

Note: A lot of these things where straight copy paste from scorpcoaster(original) so pretty much every glitch you had in coaster has been put into this.. Those dual tubes.. horrible.. I would try and just create your own thing instead of that.

Thats all I can think of atm.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 03 Nov , 2013 12:18 pm

Cheers Elfy for your feedback. I'm going to make a project out of this map (i.e. copy out the theme and start afresh). The bsp is ugly (you noticed the stretched out textures I guess! The author did something to the map which scaled down everything from a range of 3 - 4 times. I have no idea what he/she did, but I can't correct it and the relative size of each bsp appears to be randomised when added ...). I quite like the idea of having a wooden design to the track, so I may search around (something like HappyScorpion, if that's wooden - I can't remember) or indeed a new set of meshes (the above track is all mesh, but it's a bit thick and is limited). I do have the prefabs for Skyrace, but I'm not sure whether it'll fit in.

I quite liked the idea of falling off and climbing up (just to explore the bottom) but it is perhaps a tad frustrating. Regarding the teamwork shortcuts, it never occurred to me that someone would use the vehicle to open them ... perhaps I'm just a bit thick. Probably would need a separate platform to counter that.

Exploits could be countered by making the track go from bottom to top. I'd like this to be a challenging race, not a trial, so the stuff copied straight from ScorpionCoaster Beta 1 or something would have to go. There is a skybox, but it's not a typical one. That's all I can really say about it!
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Eiforia
Piska

Post by Eiforia » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 1:51 pm

Put the sentinels at spawn please. I was spawn killed twice today :( And banned guy :>

Thank you.
"I shall listen to Roy Orbison - "It's Over" in memory of Hamish" - Azarael

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 2:13 pm

Eiforia wrote:Put the sentinels at spawn please. I was spawn killed twice today :( And banned guy :>

Thank you.
I guess today is not an empty day

Eiforia
Piska

Post by Eiforia » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 2:16 pm

Nope xD
"I shall listen to Roy Orbison - "It's Over" in memory of Hamish" - Azarael

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 5:21 pm

Sentinels will be added, thanks for suggesting. I also noticed that one team can sit in spawn and just take out everyone around halfway - that'll be fixed too.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 5:30 pm

There is a glitch that needs fixing also.

About 30 seconds into the first road, you go up a vertical wall. To your right, there is a tube, and quite a drop.

It's extremely easy to drop into this tube, and cut out around 75% of the track. It looks like you tried to block it with a wall, but it's poorly placed.

On another note I would remove the shock rifle. It serves no purpose other than to annoy from the other side of the map.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Mon 11 Nov , 2013 5:41 pm

Ah, I forgot that one. Thanks for pointing it out. The wall is an artifact from the previous layout, but it isn't really needed anymore. I'll just stick another wall up top to counter that. I was going to completely rebuild the entire map, but I've a lack of motivation recently, so perhaps I'll just patch it up.

The shock rifle will be deleted, and maybe also the lightning gun, but that's not fully decided.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Tue 12 Nov , 2013 9:25 pm

Version 3: http://www.mediafire.com/?ef7mhc4xaoj8ffg (doesn't contain the static mesh files as I assumed they would be saved on the server, but I can add them if necessary).

Changes:

- Deleted most of the BSP that contained stretched texturing (due to the weird scaling of the map) and replaced with some rudimentary meshes (the same set used to complete Objective 2). Decided to keep the tunnel (to Elfy's delight I'd imagine joinha ) as I like it, even if it looks awful. Also cleaned up some of the trees and rocks blocking the path.

- Hopefully I've limited the glitching, but no doubt they'll find a way. I've even blocked up some of those conveniently placed rocks, as they looked appetising as a nice glitch.

- Spawn areas better protecting with sentinels and bullet-proof blocking volumes. Also deleted the shock rifle and lightning gun, as well as changing the vehicles from quantum to EMPs.

- You now die if you fall. If you don't die, I've made a mistake.

RE the Skybox - there is one, but due to the scaling issue of the map I'm struggling to do anything with it, so I've left it. I don't have a problem with it personally.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 14 Nov , 2013 2:13 pm

Please ignore the link above. I forgot to realign some of the meshes to Objective 2

Here's the new file: http://www.mediafire.com/?jjcntdqz54bbktm