Hawklyn

Re: Snowrace][

Post by Hawklyn » Mon 21 Jun , 2010 3:30 pm

that looks awesome Azarael, can't wait to play it

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Mon 21 Jun , 2010 5:30 pm

It will be way better than the original, and an alternative to hellbender races!
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

Deathblade
System Administrator

Post by Deathblade » Mon 21 Jun , 2010 7:08 pm

Good job !

The most bad of my maps is nicely improved :)
The LDG admin !

Conqueror

Post by Conqueror » Mon 21 Jun , 2010 7:32 pm

It looks a lot nicer from a viewing perspective, but you're a better mapper than to be fixing maps like that. Come up with something really unique which will utilise your talent properly, I think. Fixing other peoples maps won't get you the acclaim that a really nice map would. (Or the same satisfaction, I suppose.)

Wired

Post by Wired » Mon 21 Jun , 2010 10:07 pm

He has made Thecanyon which is a very good map, technically not his own as it is based (very loosely IMO) on the grandcanyon2k4z or whatever it is called.

It would be nice to see him come up with his own map (I can't play urban) either standard or a skilled race map something like the ones out of that race mod( I forogt the name).

Still, good job with all the fixes and improvements Young Azarael.

Nardaq_NL

Post by Nardaq_NL » Mon 21 Jun , 2010 10:33 pm

like it :D

i assume u can't go up the hill to obj, same way u came down?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 21 Jun , 2010 11:21 pm

Any possible bypasses will be cut off - most likely by having blocking volumes which stop working as objectives are cleared, because to fence everything off would be a nightmare.

Edit: Lol blocking volume code is in C++. New idea...
I'll try to have this finished soon, then. :)

Conq: Yes, I know... but it's hard to work up the motivation to work on a full new standard map in the current state of the game, and to balance it as well, and dream up good architecture... I may or may not build up the motivation to work on one again. I have a floor plan for the start of AS-Requiem, but I have to think up the rest, too.

You'll be fairly glad to know that after SnowRace and HellbenderWorld, I don't think there is anything left for me to do, so it'll be a toss up between mapping, modelling, playing and doing other things. Can't promise more than one map, because it's really hard to motivate, but I'll try.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 22 Jun , 2010 1:36 am

Oh, I'm going to double post to update the topic, in order to defend myself from certain accusations that I can't do any original work.

Urban Assault:

http://highvoltage.inx-gaming.co.uk/UrbanAssault.rar

Yes, this was a failed project, mainly because the optimisation, UT's scale and a lack of related meshes mean that it's impossible to make a satisfactory city in Unreal without having a modeller and texturer behind you. But as it was my first map in UT2004, I'm really not ashamed of it. Even by itself, it's aesthetically better than many maps and it's never been playtested since I never expected to find a server that accepted new maps.

That and there's like 50% of a map here.

Hate if you want, though - I know some people who rage hard at the daemonically low FPS. It varies from 350 to 60.

Requires HourIndusX_UT2004, cache extract it from TheCanyon or Poseidon...

Conqueror

Post by Conqueror » Tue 22 Jun , 2010 12:18 pm

Didn't say you couldn't do it. TheCanyon is excellent, I don't think Snowrace or whatever has the potential to be. Of the maps currently on rotation, Happyscorp and TheTomb could possibly do with overhauls, if you really want to add to your list.