RACE-LLS-Forest-Race

For posting your maps.
Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: RACE-LLS-Forest-Race

Post by Azarael » Tue 15 Jul , 2014 4:45 pm

All good. Download it from the server and you're set.

darkelf
Disappeared Administrator

Post by darkelf » Mon 04 Aug , 2014 8:11 am

Change Log(8/4/14):
-Trial period-Vehicles have been swapped to nitro benders.
-Turret controls are at turret location and now also at bottom of base outside of spawn.

Possible changes to come based on next run of map.
-Changing turrets to low health link turrets instead.
-Changing vehicles back to atlas.
-Adding skaarj or monsters to slow the progress of map down. So that the first person on track isn't the guaranteed winner.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Mon 04 Aug , 2014 12:47 pm

Also could you add some blockage to make the map less straightforward? Adding more rocks, trees, boxes, holes, movers, spikes, whatever you want...
Adding monsters can be fun too, I enjoy Plasma Scorpion race with skaarj along the way, it adds some variety. :D
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 04 Aug , 2014 12:57 pm

Some devilish traps and pitfalls such as pits in the terrain with foliage infront of them that you can drive through

troll2

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Mon 04 Aug , 2014 1:17 pm

Well I just got done replacing the turrets with link turrets with 500 health each. Also fixed the first obj so turrets can't complete it.. not sure why I over looked that. Oh, and I removed select trees that were blocking turrets from being effective.

As far as adding more rocks or trees.. Yes, I'm ok with actually modifying this map with adding some things.. however I would rather the resistance of track be combat related and not stationary object avoidance. So I think I might go for the skarrj idea. However I want to first see how link turrets will effect the race before I go any further. I'll upload tomorrow around this time and try it out again.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Mon 04 Aug , 2014 4:06 pm

I was asking that because for the moment, the first to take the lead wins the race most of the time, so adding stuff to block/slow down may give a chance for the others to catch up.

But yeah we'll see how the first changes affect the map.
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 04 Aug , 2014 4:11 pm

I haven't played the map (ok

If the road is long enough to make catching up impossible, then maybe split it into several sectors and add a few teleporters at base with 2-3 cars each team.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Mon 11 Aug , 2014 10:32 am

Change Log(8-11-14):
-Changed turrets to link turrets with 300 hundred health. They do re-spawn after I believe 3 mins.
-Obj 1 turret moved out of way to prevent it from being able to do first obj.
-Obj 1 set inside tube a bit further to make the obj proximity/attack smaller.
-Obj 1 destroy-able gate is set to 3000 health instead of 1500.
-Turret controls moved to each teams spawn area on the right side.
-Spawn area 2 has 2 more arrows to direct players and rocks to block off the old area.

Hopefully I will get to see how this plays out today.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 11 Aug , 2014 10:50 am

Played this yesterday, it was kinda boring.. feedback anyway!

The gate objective and the tunnel objective are too close. Whoever gets the gate will get the tunnel in almost all cases. This only leaves on objective remaining and therefore an auto loss for the other team. Maybe break up each road into 5 sections and add a hand objective at each section, think the coin objectives on MushroomKingdom.

Turret controls being outside of the bases - means you get in someones hellbender, they drive out of the base, and abandon you just to get into a turret, and you're left there gunnerless, or driverless. With there being no reason to do the track sol as you're a sitting duck, you have to suicide... not really fun.

Second spawnpoint - while there is a small arrow telling you which way to go, I watched no less than four hellbenders go straight ahead, in the wrong direction. Maybe fence it off once that objective is done, and add a force teleport so people don't get stuck behind it on the obj 1 road.

Havocs would actually be interesting here, as the map is so open and you'd have a chance of clearing any leading hellbenders. As the map is terrain, there is no way to fall off the map, so the danger is really limited. Havocs would give something for the gunner to do at least.

So, ways to delay the leading vehicles;

-Havocs
-More destroyable gates/blockades
-Skaarj
-Neutral turrets (is possible?)
-Adjust the track so it doubles back, allowing cars 25% of the way to shoot those 75% of the way, like most race maps.
-Hold objectives that raise a gate, maybe take 15 seconds to complete to allow people to catch up. Never seen hold objectives in race before though, not sure if possible. Several gates per road.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Mon 11 Aug , 2014 11:26 am

iRobot wrote:Played this yesterday, it was kinda boring.. feedback anyway!

The gate objective and the tunnel objective are too close. Whoever gets the gate will get the tunnel in almost all cases. This only leaves on objective remaining and therefore an auto loss for the other team. Maybe break up each road into 5 sections and add a hand objective at each section, think the coin objectives on MushroomKingdom.
I really wanted to do hold objectives. However they are not working on race mod. Not sure why.. Think I mentioned that in first post and no one responded to it.
iRobot wrote:Turret controls being outside of the bases - means you get in someones hellbender, they drive out of the base, and abandon you just to get into a turret, and you're left there gunnerless, or driverless. With there being no reason to do the track sol as you're a sitting duck, you have to suicide... not really fun.
Very true. My reasoning was to put them in a location that they can be defended. As both teams will be able to use them. However it is a first come first serve kinda deal so yah. Just placing them in each teams spawn wouldn't really ruin the game play. EDIT: Hot fix. they are located in spawn now.
iRobot wrote:Second spawnpoint - while there is a small arrow telling you which way to go, I watched no less than four hellbenders go straight ahead, in the wrong direction. Maybe fence it off once that objective is done, and add a force teleport so people don't get stuck behind it on the obj 1 road.
The second spawn area is forced. If people are managing to get around it I'm dumbfounded. But yah, I can place some rocks around that area to make it fit in with the level and provide direction. EDIT: Hot fix. Rocks and 2 more arrows place in that area to prevent players from getting lost.
iRobot wrote:Havocs would actually be interesting here, as the map is so open and you'd have a chance of clearing any leading hellbenders. As the map is terrain, there is no way to fall off the map, so the danger is really limited. Havocs would give something for the gunner to do at least.
Per numerous conversations. Havocs are only allowed in maps that either are new original maps or the map that is being edited used air support in original form. So for now.. Its not happening.
iRobot wrote:So, ways to delay the leading vehicles;

-Havocs
-More destroyable gates/blockades
-Skaarj
-Neutral turrets (is possible?)
-Adjust the track so it doubles back, allowing cars 25% of the way to shoot those 75% of the way, like most race maps.
-Hold objectives that raise a gate, maybe take 15 seconds to complete to allow people to catch up. Never seen hold objectives in race before though, not sure if possible. Several gates per road.
-Havocs as mentioned before.. sadly no. One day people will actually like them.. one day.
-Skaarj. I'm holding off to see how the link turrets effect game play. But this could very well be done. Might make it isolated to last obj area. To make it harder to just simply drive to down hill to obj where there is little anyone can do to stop you.
-Neutral turrets? All the turrets can be operated by either red or blue. They will not auto fire. They require a player to shoot at anything.
-Adjusting track: That would be more then what I'm willing to due. As I want to keep the maps course as original as possible. There is better ways of fixing this I think at the current moment.
-Hold objectives that raise a gate: That might work. It would work much so like the garage systems that we use on race tracks instead it would just be gates that move up and down slowly. Might consider this depending on next edit of map.