Map Creation Guidelines for LDG Servers

For posting your maps.
darkelf
Disappeared Administrator

Map Creation Guidelines for LDG Servers

Post by darkelf » Tue 23 Jan , 2018 3:10 pm

1. This was decided back in 2014, but never made it to the sticky. Maps should not have v1, beta1, or anything similar to this idea. Naming conventions of maps should be, for example: RACE-Example. Please do not name maps like this: of RACE-Example-V1/V2/Beta1/Beta3.
Caveat: There are many maps on server that still have some of these old naming conventions. When and if they get edited by anyone, it is our practice to remove any naming conventions that don't match with the above. The only exception to naming conventions is when we have maps like hellbenderace1, 2 and 3, which are all different tracks. We ask this cause it makes it much easier for admins to upload maps to server, helps prevent server mismatches and it also allows us to maintain the same play count in map list even after a level gets edited. Please remember to put a post in the maps thread of any changes you make to a level so we can see the multiple change logs and revert any changes if need be.

2. Any level that has exploits/glitches that allows players to get an unfair advantage in regards to the below rules, will be requested to be edited to include suitable protection to offending map. If your map fails to have suitable protection against exploits/glitches, you will either be asked to put it in place if you are an active mapper or it will be put in place by an active mapper. If the original mapper objects to having exploit/glitch protection in there map they can have there map removed from play list. Admins can not be expected to babysit every map to ensure people are always playing fair. This is why maps on this server have all been updated to include exploit protection.
Deathblade wrote: Fri 05 Mar , 2010 9:35 pm 1. Play fair.
1b) Do not glitch. Play the maps as they are intended to be played. The only exception is Oldztyle and Racing with Megafun Benders, where you can glitch at will.
1e) Do not go for the next objective while the current one is not done. This will be considered as glitching.
3. In line with the item 1), you should give the map a proper name. It's ok if you want to put your nickname as a part of the map name but in a manner such as RACE-MyMapName(MapAuthor). RACE-MapAuthor is not a good name. RACE-MapAuthorDoesBlaBla isn't a good name. If you submit multiple variants of the map, the name must be in format RACE-MyMapName[MapVersion1], RACE-MyMapName[MapVersion2], i.e. version is in '[' brackets so that voting system disables all versions for the sequence when one of the versions is played.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

pie

Re: Map Creation Guidelines

Post by pie » Tue 23 Jan , 2018 7:21 pm

It would be nice for new active mappers to have clear comprehensive guidelines. I'm hoping that it's also acceptable to ask questions within this thread?

If not please delete this, but if it is OK, then I'd like to ask this.

As we are now mapping over a decade after the release of ut2k4, is it rational to assume that computers have progressed enough that we can now make more detailed maps? Detailed maps might be larger in size and demand far more processing. I'm only guessing, but I would imagine that most of the active players on the LDG server (if not all) have computers far superior to those of 13 years ago.
Can we also have guidelines for the above mentioned?

darkelf

Re: Map Creation Guidelines for LDG Servers

Post by darkelf » Tue 23 Jan , 2018 8:32 pm

I agree, that is my intention with this thread. First post can be edited by me or any other fellow team members to add further guidelines as needed. Feel free to debate and ask questions in this thread within reason(ie stay on topic).
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off

taries

Post by taries » Tue 23 Jan , 2018 11:29 pm

Well hardware sure has progressed since 2004, but it is still possible to create a map that will have 30 FPS, from my player experience this is mainly caused by things like flying newspapers, falling leaves, intensive mist or too many items or liight effects at one place. I personally have everything in UT2004 set on max details, only exceptions are World Details which I have on Normal, since on on High it shows on some maps stuff where you think you can hide behind, but anyone with lower details will see you through it and I have disabled Foilage. It is also possible to disable any distance view restriction/fog from map, which will tho often result in less FPS, but for that is needed external program.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Wed 24 Jan , 2018 12:07 am

Hardware may have improved, but the way the game handles the hardware hasn't. Building huge, detailed maps is still challenging for even the best machines because the game just can't process the information.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Den
System Administrator

Post by Den » Wed 24 Jan , 2018 12:36 am

On Cole's both maps we already experienced it. When were testing editions of his maps, in total near 20 players took part and almost everyone could feel low FPS at different parts of map. Playing Castle at worst place on map one even had FPS near 15 while others could have 30-50 at same place. Sad for drivers, very sad for gunners. Cole had to remove a lot of BSP but still FPS on this map is a problem for some players.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 24 Jan , 2018 10:12 am

I get the same occasionally, even with a GTX1080. Just an old engine. Lights are the main killer for me. Especially when they don't seem to serve any purpose in the map - they're not setting a mood or anything, they're just...there. Intense lights and every wall a different colour. Certain recent maps....

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 24 Jan , 2018 10:38 am

I wonder if you get the low FPS when you set the resolution to 2004 values.

pie

Post by pie » Wed 24 Jan , 2018 2:26 pm

So from reading the previous posts it's clear that even though our computers have very much improved the unreal engine has not. I have spent hours searching through sites like the beyond unreal forum and it's amazing wiki entries. However even with that sort of information available it's almost impossible to understand what would be acceptable on your server. I love making new things rather than just copying from other maps, but I feel this approach might land me in hot water.

I've decided AS for my first map as I'd learn so much more from the experience, but i dought very much it would be good enough to ever go live. Would there be any experienced mappers willing to offer constructive criticism/advice privately before maps go live (to save embarrassment for the map author and to keep the map a suprise for players on the server)? I feel it needs to be at least two experienced mappers giving this advice to avoid any hard feelings.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Wed 24 Jan , 2018 2:51 pm

pie wrote: Wed 24 Jan , 2018 2:26 pm So from reading the previous posts it's clear that even though our computers have very much improved the unreal engine has not. I have spent hours searching through sites like the beyond unreal forum and it's amazing wiki entries. However even with that sort of information available it's almost impossible to understand what would be acceptable on your server. I love making new things rather than just copying from other maps, but I feel this approach might land me in hot water.

I've decided AS for my first map as I'd learn so much more from the experience, but i dought very much it would be good enough to ever go live. Would there be any experienced mappers willing to offer constructive criticism/advice privately before maps go live (to save embarrassment for the map author and to keep the map a suprise for players on the server)? I feel it needs to be at least two experienced mappers giving this advice to avoid any hard feelings.
Your more then welcome to pm me or any other willing person. If you pm me I can host on mod server and change password to something other then the default password.

As for optimization of lighting/fps drops we usually allow the mappers to design as they wish and then we will advise of how best to visually optimized there map as scenarios can differ depending on what the mapper did. We are trying to keep broken maps from going to server to prevent the rage and embarrassment that was happening in the past. So since there dose seem to be interest in having some kinda general guideline about optimization I propose the following:

3. Map optimization: Please attempt to create you level to be optimized to run at a decent frame rate. Remember to utilize anti portals, fog, proper lighting techniques. Maps that contain a large space and are illuminated with nothing but thousands of lights will be asked to update there level. There are many tutorials available to help with map optimization. (could also add some tutorial links to this guideline.)

Izumo wrote: Wed 24 Jan , 2018 10:38 am I wonder if you get the low FPS when you set the resolution to 2004 values.
For those who are running at the default resolution choices ut2004 has to offer you can do the following command in console: setres 1920x1080
Or if you have a higher resolution monitor you can go higher, for me that would be 2560x1440.
I also recommend if you have a higher resolution to change your fov(field of view) as well in console with: fov 106