Map Creation Guidelines for LDG Servers

For posting your maps.
bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Map Creation Guidelines for LDG Servers

Post by bOnO » Sat 10 Feb , 2018 5:13 pm

IMO there are only walking's maps being a problem are their names are very close and don't indicate properly which map is which. Cole & Knof have only 2 maps with their names and by now players know what is what. Same goes for the 2nd list, only 2 versions and brackets or not, the names are different enough to not confuse both versions. For the 3rd list however, it would be a good idea to unify the names, yes. I'll send a message to Walking and ask him for alternate names for the mentioned maps.
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

Den
System Administrator

Post by Den » Sat 10 Feb , 2018 7:40 pm

If a mapper wants to pay other's attenttion to it he can just write his name in correct place (almost nobody is doing it), name will appear on loading screen and in map details, I think it's more than enough. Moreover people communicate and those who are interested know mappers without tips.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Sat 10 Feb , 2018 8:48 pm

but the playcounts will reset :(

Satin
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Satin » Sat 10 Feb , 2018 9:44 pm

Reset them all at the same time :D

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sun 11 Feb , 2018 2:34 am

darkelf wrote: Sat 10 Feb , 2018 3:18 pm Went through maps and found the following that may or may not be in violation of guideline 3 and 1. I may of misunderstood the rule so please verify or advise of any maps that are missing or do not need to be fixed.

Race maps that need authors removed from map name:
RACE-TheWalkingDead
RACE-TSC-WalkingDeadForever
RACE-[TheWalking]Speed-Bender[V1]
RACE-ColesCastle
RACE-Cole[IKS]Race
RACE-BeTheRaisMaster[Knof]
RACE-MasterOfRais[Knof]

Race maps that need [] to indicate the versions and to prevent double votes of same map:
RACE-Sprintrace
RACE-SprintraceRedux
RACE-Shitrace
RACE-Shitrace[Bender]
RACE-RainbowRace[C]
RACE-RainbowRace[X-Mas]
RACE-HappyScorpion[Normal][C]
RACE-HappyScorpion[Quantum][C]
RACE-SLTopia64
RACE-UW-SLTopia-[E3][REV]

Side note: Thinking of renaming the trial mash ups to make it easier to locate all three of them and that they all have same naming structure.
RACE-TrialsMashup-Scorp(Pack1)[C]
RACE-TrialsMashup-Scorp(Pack2)[C]
RACE-TrialsMashup-Pack3

To:
RACE-TrialsMashup-Scorp(Pack1)
RACE-TrialsMashup-Scorp(Pack2)
RACE-TrialsMashup-Scorp(Pack3)
WalkingDead maps are indeed the main issue, because there's too many of them named like that and because the naming itself is kind of flaky (that's where I was aiming at primarily). IMO naming like "RACE-TSC-WalkingDeadForever" is fine (provided it's just one map). RACE-Cole[IKS]Race mas rather issue with "[" than the name (though not a big deal). RACE-BeTheRaisMaster[Knof] and RACE-MasterOfRais[Knof] is kind of OK if it doesn't confuse people. RACE-ColesCastle is OK. RACE-[TheWalking]Speed-Bender[V1] was removed because of the "[" right after "-".

RACE-Shitrace is missing it's "[" bracket, not sure if the same is needed for RACE-Sprintrace (we usually remove it if there is a redux version). RACE-HappyScorpion[Normal][C] & RACE-HappyScorpion[Quantum][C] are good, RACE-RainbowRace[C] is missing a version tag, RACE-SLTopia64 & RACE-UW-SLTopia-[E3][REV] can't comment as I don't know how different they are.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sun 11 Feb , 2018 2:36 am

Just one more thing (intentionally double posting it to highlight it): make sure you actually do it by saving it via the editor, so that the map GUID actually changes.

Den
System Administrator

Post by Den » Sun 11 Feb , 2018 4:05 am

Race maps that need authors removed from map name
You can also add to list maps which names contain DB trollface2
Race maps that need [] to indicate the versions and to prevent double votes of same map
If you mean to disable map for voting after similar map was played then Blazings and Ascend must be in one group. Same with some more trial maps which are similar. And shit races are compledely different maps cuz too different vehicles.
WalkingDead maps are indeed the main issue
Sure. But worst issue is not their names but maps themselves are issues :?

Also if rename half of maps, maybe think about special marks. For example (T) for trials, and in same way add letters to describe type of vehicles, ability to complete map solo, if air vehicles exist etc

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 11 Feb , 2018 11:16 am

To be honest, I don't see any issues apart from the walkingdead maps (I still have no idea which map goes with which name). The other maps aren't played enough to warrant one disabling the other. SprintRace, for example, is significantly different to SprintRaceRedux, with different challenges. Gone are the days when Blazings and Ascend are played one after another - players now want the challenge of HellbenderRaces more than trials.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Sun 11 Feb , 2018 1:25 pm

Thanks for going through my rough list and advising on how we want to proceed! I just compiled a list of all maps with similar names or had names in them(I did over look SF and DB though..but appears we are ok with those.)

So Here is the revised list based off feed back:

Race maps that need authors removed from map name:
RACE-TheWalkingDead
RACE-[TheWalking]Speed-Bender[V1]

Race maps that need [] to indicate the versions and to prevent double votes of same map:
RACE-Shitrace and RACE-Shitrace[Bender]: I converted these maps, so I think RACE-Shitrace should have brackets to indicate this one is Toilet car. Will be renamed to RACE-Shitrace[Toilet]
RACE-RainbowRace[C] and RACE-RainbowRace[X-Mas]: Earl and I converted these maps. My vote is that RACE-RainbowRace[C] be renamed to RACE-RainbowRace[REV] and RACE-RainbowRace[X-Mas] to RACE-RainbowRace[REV][X-Mas]. @Earl Let me know if you have any objections or a different recommendation.
RACE-HappyScorpion[Normal][C], RACE-HappyScorpion[Quantum][C] and RACE-HappyScorpion64: Forgot to put HappyScorpion64 in the first list I created. HappyScorpion64 is the same track layout as the other HappyScorpion maps, it just has a different theme and a few little extra bits here and there. IMO RACE-HappyScorpion64 should be renamed to RACE-HappyScorpion[64].
RACE-SLTopia64 and RACE-UW-SLTopia-[E3][REV]: I converted both these maps. Thinking both are extremely similar, with minor differences. So proposing maps be renamed to RACE-SLTopia[UW][REV] and RACE-SLTopia[64]

Will rename the Trial mashups series to be all named in same way:
RACE-TrialsMashup-Scorp(Pack1)[C]
RACE-TrialsMashup-Scorp(Pack2)[C]
RACE-TrialsMashup-Pack3
To:
RACE-TrialsMashup-Scorp(Pack1)
RACE-TrialsMashup-Scorp(Pack2)
RACE-TrialsMashup-Scorp(Pack3)

Maps that are removed from first created list:
RACE-TSC-WalkingDeadForever: No changes needed to name as there appears to be only one map with anything similar to this name. However in future it would be best to not have name in map name.
RACE-ColesCastle: No changes needed to name. However in future it would be best to not have name in map name.
RACE-Cole[IKS]Race: Stated to be oddly named but currently has no conflict with any other maps. No changes needed to name.
RACE-BeTheRaisMaster[Knof]: No changes needed to name. However in future it would be best to not have name in map name.
RACE-MasterOfRais[Knof]: No changes needed to name. However in future it would be best to not have name in map name.
RACE-Sprintrace and RACE-SprintraceRedux: Maps are considered to be unique in there paths, so no need to add brackets to stop double voting.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 12 Feb , 2018 10:34 am

Complaints from players about removal of walkings maps, will be the added again soon? Or perhaps they already have.