RACE-ScorpionRace2

For posting your maps.

Should the map remain votable in its current state?

Poll ended at Tue 06 Mar , 2018 10:55 pm

Yes
75%
No
No votes
Yes, but with changes
25%

Total votes: 4

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

RACE-ScorpionRace2

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Tue 27 Feb , 2018 7:52 pm

Decided to return and spend some of my little spare time improving the map bank on the server. Got ideas for two original maps, upcoming, and another remake.

One map that I wanted to include was ScorpionRace2 - the trial map that without nitrovehicles takes forever, but with the additional speed could turn into quite a nice race. Little modifications would need to be made. Unfortunately the mapper decided to delete all the BSP before saving; if there's a way of copying the BSP into a new map, I would be grateful. If not, then what little modifications I can do without building the map will be done. It means the lighting will remain a little too bright, but I can re-texture (a form a therapy with so much to do) and add the nitrovehicles. No idea when I can get a version onto the mod server, but I'll keep in touch.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: RACE-ScorpionRace2

Post by iRobot » Tue 27 Feb , 2018 8:02 pm

I played this map on Downer Trials only the other day. It's a decent track :)

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Wed 28 Feb , 2018 10:44 am

• Vehicles changed to trial scorpions. Makes the track more challenging.
  • Added time after the first three objectives. Currently five minutes per obj, thinking about changing this to 7 or 8.
  • Skaarj deleted.
Only thing left to ponder now are the physics volumes causing speed. With practice it is relatively simple, but it will frustrate players.

Will be tested later, hoping for a server upload this evening.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 01 Mar , 2018 11:17 am

Because of the nature of the map, I'm going to trial having four objectives open at the same time. I think this might make the map more enjoyable.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 01 Mar , 2018 11:55 am

If you do that, the map will need extensive checkpoints as the later tracks all overlap the earlier tracks, so big glitches likely.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 01 Mar , 2018 1:23 pm

Possible with killzones, checkpoints won't work. Still taking server feedback about the map - if the length and style turns out to be unpopular, it'll be dumped.

Satin

Post by Satin » Thu 01 Mar , 2018 3:35 pm

It's not as challenging as Ascent or blazing, keep it regardless, it offers another map option for us (never have too many fresh maps)

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Thu 01 Mar , 2018 4:07 pm

However the "physics volumes causing speed" are highly frustrating, especially as they are placed before loops that need caution and not too much speed. I died like 10 times at the beginning of obj 3 I think, and yesterday night half of the players RQd here.
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Thu 01 Mar , 2018 4:48 pm

I think that any changes to physics volume gravity settings would require a full rebuild. If it does the map is quite simple that the bsp could be rebuilt, but would take several hours. I assume you couldn’t find any older versions of this map that were not ruined by stupid map protection?

However I understand the concept of possible dropping project. The general population seems to get really frustrated with physics gravity volumes effects on cars( just look at play counts on scorpcoaster and sonofthecoaster). They also hate how the camera view gets all screwed up when cars go upside down.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 01 Mar , 2018 4:49 pm

Physics volumes causing speed now removed, as they actually aren't needed with the nitrovehicles. Uploaded and tested: works.

The rest of the volumes work correctly and can stay. I don't think the map will get many plays, but as it's map number 131, might as well keep it.