UnWheel

Discuss the mod server here.
iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Re: UnWheel

Post by iZumo » Sun 24 Nov , 2013 12:09 am

HUD implmementation is completely idiotic, I must say.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sun 24 Nov , 2013 12:13 am

UT2003 coding. Oh yeah!

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Mon 25 Nov , 2013 11:27 am

Goddamn it, got busy in middle of the changes ...

Anyway, in order not to stall it again, source upp'd (all needs recompiling). HUD needs fixing to show RPM / Gear - and with that implementing properly under normal HUD class instead of completely separate (this will probably solve all related HUD bugs).

Netcode is untested. Changes:

Manual transmission:
- improved red lining on the ref car
- when having reverse, forward / backward is flipped for more intuitive control
- changing the gears very badly will cause the engine to die (in case of trying to accelerate on < 1000 RPM or > 7000 RPM on gear 2 or higher for 0.1 s), to restart, press left mouse (gear up) when you're stopped

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 25 Nov , 2013 11:42 am

Can you look into/fix the vehicle going on 2 wheels?

For example, if your right hand wheels are off the ground and you're riding on the left only, turning left does nothing and turning right just makes the effect more prominent.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 25 Nov , 2013 2:18 pm

It's the wheel penetration scale curve, I believe.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 25 Nov , 2013 5:14 pm

The reset to checkpoint (C) is very unreliable also. Sometimes you'll be facing the wrong way, facing sideways (so unsure which way to go sometimes) and sometimes even outside of the race track / in a tree / on a post.

Not sure how much can be done to improve that as it's probably per map and only 1-2 problem checkpoints per map. I remember some scenarios though where you'd reset onto a post, and pressing reset further to get yourself off the post would just drop you in the same place.

I would also suggest some kind of visible UI for the keybinds, like nitro vehicles has. Something in one of the corners that simply shows you 'Repair: E' etc. This might help reduce the number of flaming vehicles just idling on the track wondering what to do. Maybe even lining up the default keybinds together so RACE players know how to do it automatically. I'm unsure what the default to repair is in NV but I'd assume its not E.

All in all I'm loving this mod. It's my favourite on LDG at the moment. I can't quite push my full potential as I suffer badly from packet loss as of late, meaning random turning into walls, but it's still fun to try for the best lap, even if a race win is not feasible. Thanks for all the effort put into it. Other than the 3-4 people who want their bucket and spade back, it's been universally positive.

On a final note, the balance between manual and auto seems pretty good. You need to have a clean race in auto to keep up with manual, which is fair given the extra concentration needed to manage the gears.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 25 Nov , 2013 5:29 pm

Effectiveness of reset to checkpoint is map dependent. Urban Circuit has the best resetting using dedicated reset points. Most other maps have at least correct rotation. Some maps don't have proper reset support at all.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Mon 25 Nov , 2013 10:12 pm

I forgot to upload updated sounds.
fts

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 26 Nov , 2013 4:13 pm

Support for the following, possible?

- Lap splits: Time per checkpoint based on your time at that checkpoint on your best lap.

- Gaps: Distance from car infront in time / distance from the lead in time. Not as interesting as the former as the line UI does help for this, but accurate split times can help as on some maps [ .. ] might be 5 seconds and on others [ .. ] might be 30 seconds.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 26 Nov , 2013 4:14 pm

Former is trivial. Latter is less so.