UnWheel

Discuss the mod server here.
Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

UnWheel

Post by Azarael » Fri 08 Nov , 2013 8:42 pm

The racing gametype UnWheel has been added to the mod server pro tem, due to compatibility issues on the main server.

darkelf
Disappeared Administrator

Re: UnWheel

Post by darkelf » Sat 09 Nov , 2013 3:48 am

Ah cool a good reason to pop on to the mod server for a few rounds.

Lets see how many ut2004 raisers can handle a real race game.

Might be a good reason to record some game play.. Lets see some fails!
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sat 09 Nov , 2013 6:49 am

Unwheel was tested before, but was a failure due to the following reasons:

1) very poor vehicle and nitro physics (main problem), can be patched from NV (heavy patch) with some other tweaks such as limiting automatic breaking
2) vehicle karma model is screwed, lots of vehicles get stuck ridiculously
3) numerous technical fixes required (car selection, nitro, key assignments were trivial)
4) many maps had problems with low players (Aza fixed this for around 10 ppl)
5) no UTComp port (there was no rewrite at the time though)
6) a portion of players will not like lack of weaponry
7) bugs in maps preventing you from respawn
8) damage model needs tweaking (there was regeneration)

I'm not really sure if UnWheel is in state to be put on the RACE / AS server, I would find most of the above problems as critical for good reception (1), 2), 3), 4) and 7)).

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 09 Nov , 2013 7:16 am

I guess HortonVehicles are a better place to start? They don't require the UnWheel mod.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Sat 09 Nov , 2013 8:30 am

Agreed the vehicles kinda sucked..and where very unpredictable.

With the hands of some knowledgeable coders we have here I think this might just be something that can be fixed.
Granted is it worth fixing?

To me it should be. It has some decent quality maps. Its a shame to see these maps go to waste because the vehicles made for it just didn't work.

Are the original creators still around and are they willing for people to pick up where they left off?
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sat 09 Nov , 2013 10:45 am

It's not about "worthiness fixing it", it's more like "no time to fix / improve it". Mainly 1) & 3), these would be on me.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 09 Nov , 2013 3:45 pm

1) Accepted, prepared to wait. If necessary the entire vehicle list can be eliminated and we can add back vehicles one at a time - the vehicle balance is so poor that nothing is lost by simply readying one vehicle of each type.
2) Any more details on this? Is it something occurring because of improper Static Mesh collision models? Speed combined with low Tickrate causing the vehicle to intersect the mesh? Just guessing here.
3) What fixes are required?
4) is easily solved by eliminating large vehicles and adjusting the playerstarts for normal car sizes. Already been doing this and the only maps available during the brief #1 test were 24 player versions. This can be considered dealt with.
5) is unnecessary. Even UTComp for Chaos Duel or Unreal Open would have more use - unless I'm missing a technical reason why UTComp would be of any use whatsoever.
6) Sure, but a) it only matters if it makes them ragequit b) there's still mapvoting c) Race server. The average UnWheel map lasts 8 minutes.
7) Do you remember anything more about this?
8) More details? I adjusted the repair feature to use half a bar to repair 1/3 of the damage.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 09 Nov , 2013 4:05 pm

Sorry for being a pain, but I'm unable to access this file:

I tried a direct download from the Unwheel site, but that seems to be down. We used to have an Unwheel server, but never got more than 4 or 5 people on it; I'd like to give this another go with substantially more.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 09 Nov , 2013 4:06 pm

You're not being a pain at all. Are you attempting to join the Mod server right now?

Edit: I've symlinked it, try again.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 09 Nov , 2013 4:10 pm

Tried again, still can't access the same file. Managed to download the rest of them fine though.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”