Building a PC

Anything goes here. Keep it tasteful.
Ollievrthecool

Re: Building a PC

Post by Ollievrthecool » Mon 06 Mar , 2017 7:19 pm

Ryzen seems to be a trend and it was an idea to buy my processor last as i am buying these parts over the next two months. I will probably go for ryzen.
I never really knew the difference between a 4gb and 8gb GPU. I also chose the 480 since it is on offer for the same price as an RX 470 (At full price)
750W was just in case i wanted to upgrade in the future.
Also, when it comes to processors and motherboards, im not to sure which processors fit which motherboards, if anyone can give me some information regarding this, would be amazing.
Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciated :)

Den
System Administrator

Post by Den » Mon 06 Mar , 2017 7:28 pm

With current motherboard go to gigabyte.com, find it here, then you will see a list of compatible CPUs. Same with any other motherboard.

The problem can appear with BIOS version (firmware of motherboard). In list of compatible CPUs you usually can see that shitiest CPUs are compatible with first version of BIOS, better CPUs are compatible with motherboard only if use later versions of BIOS. Nobody knows which version if BIOS will be on motherboard when you buy it.

So if you buy motherboard and CPU at the same shop, ask this question and deal with them. Maybe they will promise than motherboard will have correct cersion of BIOS to be compatible with CPU, maybe they will upgrade it themselves, maybe they will connect all parts and send you ready PC.

If you will buy parts and motherboard will have too old version of BIOS you will have to find shity CPU, install it, upgrade BIOS and only then use normal CPU.

For motherboard and CPU from your first post there's no problem with BIOS, but if choose another ones, just pay attention to it.

And what is the purpose of thoc PC?

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Mon 06 Mar , 2017 8:01 pm

Unless you plan on using a RAM disk from your video card, you're better off getting a used 970 for <200£ on Ebay, which has about the same performance in some scenarios. If you plan on playing DX12 games, or higher than 1080, get the 480.

Den
System Administrator

Post by Den » Mon 06 Mar , 2017 8:09 pm

Ryzen really is not ready, you must wait fixes for Windows so it will be able to work correctly with cores and caches.

This PC will be impossible to upgrade, old CPU, old RAM.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Mon 06 Mar , 2017 11:16 pm

Ollievrthecool wrote:Also, when it comes to processors and motherboards, im not to sure which processors fit which motherboards, if anyone can give me some information regarding this, would be amazing.
Look for the chipset. Then you can find which CPUs are supported (it's not as simple as AMD motherboard for AMD CPU or Intel motherboard for Intel CPU).

ZioFede

Post by ZioFede » Tue 07 Mar , 2017 9:31 am

>SSDs are memes lol, it's like night and day difference are you even trying

>suggesting that scam gpu called 970 with 3.5 RAM seriously? it's not even a dx12 question, nvidia is known to drop the ball for older gens, meanwhile the 480 got better with newer drivers...

as for ryzen, the 6 cores model will probably have the best performance/price ratio (coming in april/june)

God should have let Paul live and let you die instead, worthless piece of shit. -Mr. H&some about a random actor-

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 07 Mar , 2017 11:25 am

SSD is a must. The only exception is if you leave your machine on 24/7, so you won't get much benefit from the immense boot up times.

Apps will still load slowly but the quick boot is my favourite feature of SSD. You can go from power off to playing a game in less than 10 seconds.

Ollievrthecool

Post by Ollievrthecool » Tue 07 Mar , 2017 2:54 pm

For those people who want to see what i have in the list and what i have in my wishlist:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/registry/wi ... st_lists_2

:)

Den
System Administrator

Post by Den » Tue 07 Mar , 2017 3:19 pm

So for what apps are you going to use it?

Ollievrthecool

Post by Ollievrthecool » Tue 07 Mar , 2017 3:28 pm

Den wrote:So for what apps are you going to use it?
Itll be mostly games. Im not one to buy Triple A titles at their release and would wait for the deals. Some games would include:
Far Cry 4 / Primal
Wolfenstein, The New Order / Old Blood
Spec Ops
Battlefield 4 / Hardline / 1
Star Wars Battlefront

The list goes on. I would play other, not so intensive games, such as
Counter Strike: GO
Dota 2
TF2
And so on

I have had a thought about Ryzen and if Ryzen 5 comes out around May, ill save my money for that. Any later and ill go for 7.
I have never built a PC before. I cannot wait to get my hands on all these parts and just go for it. How hard can it be.
;B