Laptop Advice

Anything goes here. Keep it tasteful.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Laptop Advice

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Tue 18 Apr , 2017 10:43 pm

Looking for a new laptop but I'm absolutely flummoxed as to the specs I really need. Been looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-ZenBook-U ... 47223&th=1

Just want something reliable really, and £900 is really pushing the budget. An i5 is probably all I need, although this laptop has an i7. I only really play UT/Europa Universalis and older games on my laptop at the moment. Managed to get a good 4.5 years out of my Samsung laptop (still works albeit with a minor charger problem, which shuts off the machine randomly on games), so really looking for another to last that long.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Calypto

Re: Laptop Advice

Post by Calypto » Tue 18 Apr , 2017 11:00 pm

Does it absolutely have to be a laptop?

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Tue 18 Apr , 2017 11:17 pm

Yeah, I'll need it for work as well and don't really have space for another desktop.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Wed 19 Apr , 2017 1:30 am

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:Looking for a new laptop
If you don't mind, ebay has some <900 laptops with GTX 780Ms, which are significantly faster than Intel's embedded graphics accelerators. You pay less for more performance, but the laptops are obviously used.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Laptops-Netbook ... w=gtx+780m
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=gt ... cat=175672

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Wed 19 Apr , 2017 2:58 pm

Is there anything else you want to do with your laptop, like programming? Does the size matter? The first laptop Nardaq proposed is 17" and for having had one in the past I can tell it's big and can be heavy, so a bit annoying for transport. An i5 for the processor is enough except if you do CPU intensive tasks. I also think the integrated GPU might not be sufficient; as my graphic card died last month I used the mobo integrated GPU for a few days and had to lower a few details on UT to keep good FPS, but nothing very important (like very high instead of ultra high). So better have something with a real graphic card.

For the moment, I'd say the Omen or the Inspiron 15 look good to me. However look on your favourite websites if you can have a better price, like Amazon. (I don't trust already used computers from Calypto's suggestion).
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Wed 19 Apr , 2017 7:31 pm

Calypto wrote:
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:Looking for a new laptop
If you don't mind, ebay has some <900 laptops with GTX 780Ms, which are significantly faster than Intel's embedded graphics accelerators. You pay less for more performance, but the laptops are obviously used.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Laptops-Netbook ... w=gtx+780m
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=gt ... cat=175672
Hadn't considered buying second hand and they look good value for the performance they give, but I would prefer a new laptop. I really need this to last a decent amount of time.

The Omen series does tick all of my boxes, so thanks for the suggestions! I'm starting a new teaching job in September so it needs to be portable really; performance-wise I really just need it to play the games, but don't expect to play new games with high details. Just needs to be fast and reliable!

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Wed 19 Apr , 2017 8:39 pm

VAT

0rang3

Post by 0rang3 » Thu 20 Apr , 2017 8:47 am

focus

Post by focus » Thu 20 Apr , 2017 3:02 pm

I cannot withhold emotions anymore.

Those modern times start to sicken me. :twisted:
Flat buttons and gloss surfaces on each and every notebook! Disgusting madness. I hate them. HATE!!!!
At the start, maybe, it seemed cool and fine. But in fact, its so unpractical and uncomfortable!!!
I wish all designers of those to go to burn in hell! :evil: :evil:
Since start of 2000s, they have forgot how to make notebooks.
AND CARS TOO!!!

We live in a truly wicked times now. :evil: