UnrealEd 3.0 help

You need help? It's here!
Aww

UnrealEd 3.0 help

Post by Aww » Sun 17 Mar , 2013 1:09 pm

So i've been making little demo maps for a while but nothing actually big came out because i have problem with the editor it self (or my knowledge on how to use it)

1st queastion: Is there an offical manual for UnrealEd 3.0?
And by manual i mean a 1k pages worth and not those fan made all over google ones.

2nd queastion: How to properly save a map?
May sound like a dump question but my unrealEd behaves different every time i reinstall UT2k4.

Problem:
I make a custom static meshes, terrains and save them in a new package and when i reload the map
in the all is gone editor its gone. This happend couple of times in the past but it fixed it self and broke
it self too.

UPDATE: for the first time now the game will crash if i try to play a
map with custom stuff because it cant find it (this was never happening before)

3rd question: Before i can fully close unrealED, 35226662 windows will pop up one by one saying:
"The package ' Package0 has been changed and needs to be saved. Save it now ? y/n".
What do i do with this?

Package0, Package1 ... Package35226662 AND NOW I CAN FINALY CLOSE THE EDITOR.
ps. i never save them. why? because its not overwritting something that exists. it will
ask for directory every single time no matter if i already saved it once for a that map.

This may sound like an answer to my 2nd question but no dont think so. i was never saving these and i never
had problems described there. quote from earlyer: ,, ... unrealEd behaves different every time i reinstall UT2k4''
Currently even if i save all these packages including my own, static messhes and terrains will still be lost

Any help would be extremely appreciated since ive been raging with this for some time.
Aw.=w
Aw.=w

Socio
Disappeared Administrator

Re: UnrealEd 3.0 help

Post by Socio » Sun 17 Mar , 2013 2:39 pm

1st question.
I, myself, learned mapping back on UEd. 2.0 for UT'99. The basics for both are the same. Dont really remember where I learned those, probably on some polish UT fan-page. For UEd. 3.0 I used UnrealWiki to learn how to set up all the things for AS (objectives, spawnpoints etc.), later I progressed with my learnings with the try/fail method. I dont think there is any proper lenghty, UEd. 3.0 manual-tutorial written by Epic anywhere.
2nd question.
You need to save your packages, not only the map itself. Different content goes into different files, textures go to *.utx, static meshes go to *.usx, etc. And after every add of content to one of your already exsisting packages you need to save them again. Unless you will name the new package "mylevel", then all the stuff you created gets saved within the map. Useful when you have stuff that you dont plan to use on any other map.
Terrains must be saved in "mylevel" same goes for their alpha ground texture layers.
For saving maps I work on, I use a separate folder called "Work" and save the map on a new file every major change (MapNamework1.ut2, MapNamework2.ut2) so I can get back to previous version in case something breaks up beyond repair.
3rd question.
Nope. You dont need to save them. This infobox is generated by a changed static mesh (scaled, textured) from one of the exsisting packages, that you used in the map, but its changes will be saved automaticly within the map. Unless you have a real package name like "YourStuff", not default "Package1", that means you made some changes directly to the packages file (adding/removing). You should save those in this case, but watch out and dont overwrite any original UT2004 content.
> team-spec*Socio: i see a new rais map
> team-spec*Socio: curious if ikea
> H&some: its not
> H&some: its actually pretty good

Takeo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Takeo » Sun 17 Mar , 2013 3:17 pm

Moved topic to the Help section.

@ Socio and to everybody else of course:

An official guideline through the Unreal editor does exist.
Here you go: http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ModHome.html

Aww

Post by Aww » Sun 17 Mar , 2013 8:31 pm

Socio wrote:Unless you will name the new package "mylevel", then all the stuff you created gets saved within the map. Useful when you have stuff that you dont plan to use on any other map.
Terrains must be saved in "mylevel" same goes for their alpha ground texture layers.
aaa this is the part that saves lives. I remember the time i was saving packages 'mylevel' because i saw in video tutorials on yt. I always thought that thats the name the narrator chose by random just for the sake of the tutorial.

Also thanks for the explaning other problems e---e
Aw.=w