Recreation of the MC Server?

Discuss the Minecraft server here.

Shall we create a completely new MC server?

Poll ended at Fri 19 Apr , 2013 6:54 pm

Yes.
10%
I don't care. (yes)
30%
No.
60%

Total votes: 10

focus

Re: Recreation of the MC Server?

Post by focus » Fri 26 Apr , 2013 12:33 am

Anhrak
we need to travel... travel FAR
When you have to travel far, nether will help you. Build or use an railroad there.
At 1,3 we had emerald
At 1,4 we gained witch huts, carrots and potatoes
At 1.5, we gained nether quartz
IMO, there is no end in adding new content by mojang. And what, are we supposed to constantly reset the map to get it? After half-a-year or so, everything will repeat again. Or it will be even more painful, since Takeo wants to add a WorldGuard. That means, that new world will soon be explored in all entirety, and it will be absolutely no space for new content to appear.
Witch huts were, to my knowledge, never found at all
I can show you couple of em.
At 1.5, we gained nether quartz. I do not even DARE to guess how large the map is right now, or how far we have to travel in the nether to find quartz
Since its in nether, its just a matter of building a railroad in a right direction. About 1000 blocks from spawn in nether, and you will get it.
If you say that traveling 1000 blocks each time when you need quartz is problematic for you, than you can build a some kind of outpost in that area and collect quartz in quantities in advance for future use.
This means that the size of the map we have now is immensive
Whole world can be inscribed into rectangle with sides of 26000x32000 (S=832 mil) blocks.
But only around 1/5th of space in it is explored. Main continent can be inscribed into 13500x8000 (S=108 mil) rectangle.
immensive, and fragile to corruption either
I doubt that you can provide hard arguments to your 'fragile to corruption' statement. As i know, backups are made constantly.
but lots of resources have been plundered
my adventures only hauled in about 9 stacks of diamond ore
Resources are plundered? In our main continent of 108 million square blocks, there are enough diamonds and other resources for hundreds of Anhraks, each with 9 stacks of dias. To get them all in such area will be an unachievable undertaking. Even with x-ray. Even for all of us together.
Here my calculations.
There are average 3.097 diamond ore blocks in chunk (i got number from minecraftwiki), chunk is 256 sq. blocks.
So, in main continent we have about 3.097 * 108*10^6 / 256 ~= 1,306 million blocks of diamond ore.
I am sure that its more then enough, since 100 players and each with 9 stacks of diamond ore will consume just 4,4% of all available ore.
I hope there is no necessity to speak about more abundant ores, like coal or iron.
It's also the will of adventuring. Everything has already been discovered
Its only one thing i can agree with you. But, when Takeo will make a new world with WorldGuard, it will be just a matter of time for such tears to reappear. What about concentrating on building things? I am sure that your imagination is infinite, in contrast with our humble world.
the land is also filled with scars of griefers
Well, yes. In spawn area it is. But we have vast spaces out of it. And they are intact. Why not to move to them?
And spawn area can be fixed, btw. Or spawnpoint itself can be moved somewhere else.

Anhrak

Re: Recreation of the MC Server?

Post by Anhrak » Fri 26 Apr , 2013 11:13 am

focus wrote:Anhrak
we need to travel... travel FAR
When you have to travel far, nether will help you. Build or use an railroad there.

Travelling unprepared through the nether is something we cannot let others just do. Some people, like you, me, calypto, know how the place looks. However, this does not apply for everyone. I recall some people that had some serious issues with this.
At 1,3 we had emerald
At 1,4 we gained witch huts, carrots and potatoes
At 1.5, we gained nether quartz
IMO, there is no end in adding new content by mojang. And what, are we supposed to constantly reset the map to get it? After half-a-year or so, everything will repeat again. Or it will be even more painful, since Takeo wants to add a WorldGuard. That means, that new world will soon be explored in all entirety, and it will be absolutely no space for new content to appear.

1.6 was always around the corner already. Things were already being teasered (such as the red dragon, haybales, etc) before 1.5 came out, and 1.6 will come quite soon already. After 1.6 is released, it is very well possible that there will be a big timespan between 1.3 and 1.4.
Witch huts were, to my knowledge, never found at all
I can show you couple of em.

can you safely verify those are really Witch Huts and not just ordinary swamp cabins? They are known to look a darn lot like it, and are still the one thing that fooled people 95% of the time
At 1.5, we gained nether quartz. I do not even DARE to guess how large the map is right now, or how far we have to travel in the nether to find quartz
Since its in nether, its just a matter of building a railroad in a right direction. About 1000 blocks from spawn in nether, and you will get it.
If you say that traveling 1000 blocks each time when you need quartz is problematic for you, than you can build a some kind of outpost in that area and collect quartz in quantities in advance for future use.

although the scale isn't big, it still requires quite some movability and materials to build a path. However, it is not 1k blocks away, it's more than double of that. remember my house at 15k -10k, and takeo's wooden build? They are at 2k+ in the nether.
This means that the size of the map we have now is immensive

Whole world can be inscribed into rectangle with sides of 26000x32000 (S=832 mil) blocks.
But only around 1/5th of space in it is explored. Main continent can be inscribed into 13500x8000 (S=108 mil) rectangle.

Most unrendered chunks are islands, forests, biomes that are not worth it exploring every detail. True, some bigger gaps are possible, but it's less likely. And searching for 'just' that gap, is searching for a needle in a haystack. Also, not everyone likes to travel hell far away to live on a place where they can build.

immensive, and fragile to corruption either

I doubt that you can provide hard arguments to your 'fragile to corruption' statement. As i know, backups are made constantly.

Chunks failing to load properly, causing glitchy blocks. Also, since the LDG is not completely Vanilla, as well with the fact that this map dates back from 3 major versions ago, the chance is higher for it to corrupt. True, backups are usefull, but backups cannot prevent corruptions/errors from occuring again. I recall once that someone was no longer allowed to get close to the chunk of his own house because that chunk got glitched. That map was from 1.2.1 and was being played on a 1.4 server.

but lots of resources have been plundered
my adventures only hauled in about 9 stacks of diamond ore

Resources are plundered? In our main continent of 108 million square blocks, there are enough diamonds and other resources for hundreds of Anhraks, each with 9 stacks of dias. To get them all in such area will be an unachievable undertaking. Even with x-ray. Even for all of us together.
Here my calculations.
There are average 3.097 diamond ore blocks in chunk (i got number from minecraftwiki), chunk is 256 sq. blocks.
So, in main continent we have about 3.097 * 108*10^6 / 256 ~= 1,306 million blocks of diamond ore.
I am sure that its more then enough, since 100 players and each with 9 stacks of diamond ore will consume just 4,4% of all available ore.
I hope there is no necessity to speak about more abundant ores, like coal or iron.

Why did you have to bring that X-ray thing back up... Anyway, we cannot possibly enforce people to entirely dig out a 16x16 chunk to get their required diamond hauls. Even if it's only 4.4%, it's mostly the diamond ores that are in easy sight.

It's also the will of adventuring. Everything has already been discovered

Its only one thing i can agree with you. But, when Takeo will make a new world with WorldGuard, it will be just a matter of time for such tears to reappear. What about concentrating on building things? I am sure that your imagination is infinite, in contrast with our humble world.

I've made three grand things, of which one was griefed. But let's ask some questions for yourself. What is the gamemode? Survival. What can we do here at the day of today? Build creative things... Wouldn't we be a creative gamemode then?

the land is also filled with scars of griefers

Well, yes. In spawn area it is. But we have vast spaces out of it. And they are intact. Why not to move to them?
And spawn area can be fixed, btw. Or spawnpoint itself can be moved somewhere else.

I've tried to restore it, but unfortunately it was griefed straight after. But griefed things doesn't mean it's griefed builds, it's also deforesting, resource-plundering from the landscape, random flying trees, etc.

Resetting the world is not bad at all. My loss of what I've gained in this world is just as big as anyone else's, that doesnt make a difference any bit. In fact, almost every server resets their map every so often. It doesn't matter what the plans of Takeo are, albeit making the server map permanently focused on one version. In fact, resetting the map has lots of profits, and only one remarkable bad side:

Pro's:
- It revives the spirit of survival and goals what to do.
- New resources and landmarks available to explore
- The whole map is up-to-date instead of only the outer rings
- The map is fully compatible with anything applied to the server, nothing is outdated.
- It's a fresh new start, no accidential removals, ruins or signs of former habitation.
- A new map is attractive for a new community, meaning more players, more popularity. (I came here before at 1.2.5 because this map was made in 1.2.x version)

Con's:
- Everyone will lose what they built. but wait! wasn't the solution to this the very thing that takeo offered to those who already built on those servers???

So, what exactly is your real reason the map should not be reset? We can all say that we want one thing or not, but how can you firmly convince the people why it shouldn't be that way? Remember, it's not a community input this time, it's a staff input, meaning the argument of 'it isn't nessecary' doesn't work well this time.