ideas for more RACE maps

For posting your maps.
proof
Banned

ideas for more RACE maps

Post by proof » Fri 25 Oct , 2013 1:24 pm

So, after I read the "thanks" from iRobot I kind of realized, that there havent been many new race maps on the server lately and it really came down to a small rotation of the same maps over and over again. Thats why I want to share some ideas I had the last couple of days.

The most fun RACE would probably be a boat-race along a river or coast (like ONS-Dinora). Im going to exclude open sea cause that would be boring I think. I know this requires a lot of artwork to make it look good since you cant just put plattform after plattform floating in the sky. Once Im dont with the HellbenderWorld stuff Im probably going to start something like that, probably even make an own boat for this, we will see.

Another idea I already had several years ago when there was still the UTzone Race server up was MarioKart! Back then in 2007 I built BowserCastle from the N64 MarioKart for UT2004. Unfortunatly it wont work online since I used Matinee to get all those Wummps moving as they require more than 8 Keys and as we know - Matinee doesnt work online.
But Im sure, almost everyone has played this game in the past and enjoyed it, if you know the original from this screenshot then you had an awesome childhood :P

So my point is, how about a Race map that does include all the race maps from MarioKart64 packed together as Cups aka Mushroom Cup with the 4 tracks â 3 rounds. Another map is the Flower Cup, then the Star Cup and the Special Cup.

Also, I remember there was a pretty cool Manta Race on the UTzone server, but I cant remember the name of it (probably just MantaRace lol). Besides the part in SkyRace I think there is no Manta Race on this server, is it? Same goes for the Raptor (or Aircrafts in general), besides Yro there is none I believe. I also remember a spaceship race (cant remember the name either) which was actually just flying through tubes with obstacles and hardcore techno as music. Actually I think Aircraft race is not that fun and has most likely been discussed several times just like Mantas, but Im just throwing that in as a possible variety to all the ground-based races. If anyone comes up with Dragonflies now, I honestly think steering those through a map with obstacles is too challenging for the majority.

To sum it up:

-Boat
-Manta
-Aircraft
-MarioKart (doesnt have to be the N64 one, but I think this one is the best :mrgreen: )

Discuss!

Anyway, if anyone is interested in the BowsersCastle map: http://www.mediafire.com/download/offtx ... Castle.rar
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: ideas for more RACE maps

Post by iRobot » Fri 25 Oct , 2013 2:14 pm

A well designed aerial race map would be enjoyable. Yro took the idea but kinda did a crappy implementation of it.

I'd also like a variety race, where it's say, 7 objectives, and each one involves a different spawnbase/vehicle.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 25 Oct , 2013 7:23 pm

The 'spaceship' race was called 'SpaceRace' - I played it not so long ago. Didn't like it too much.

I liked your idea, iRobot, in a previous thread - the idea of replacing solbender garages with barriers around the map to encourage teamwork and the inevitable 'solo-wait' at the end. How about having these barriers as 'shortcuts', say, during a Scorpion race - a teammate may sacrifice his own chances of winning by boosting your own. There's an alternate 'longer' route besides it that anyone can take (I wouldn't make the shortcut too long - maybe a 30 seconds advantage via a lift, something like that).
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Sat 26 Oct , 2013 12:12 pm

The idea has been tried before - worked nicely actually. If you recall the old grenade/scorp shortcut on J-VehicleRace.

What you say is part of the thing I was trying to remove, the inevitable solmoron waiting at the gate. It'd be good to see that gone.

Also just trying to encourage some action on the track. With all vehicles having the same speed + shield mechanics, combat is really watered down on the route to the objectives. Needing people to get out of the vehicle to press switches / activate pressure pads etc etc would be quite interesting.

For example; having a drawbridge that someone needs to operate and lower so your teammates hellbender(s) may pass.