Mirinda ban

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
Spin

Re: Mirinda ban

Post by Spin » Tue 10 Dec , 2013 12:48 am

Azarael wrote: I've corrected people numerous times on this and while I don't expect non-native speakers of English to be perfect, a number of players (to name 3 who were doing it at the time, you, Spin and Calypto) continued saying "lags" or "lagg" deliberately to get on my wick. In these cases I feel entitled to mute - if you're going to deliberately try to irritate an admin, can you really expect to be left alone?

Ok If I get PL once its a lag, so if I get PL many times over some period of time is it still a lag?

I know this is not the best source but it's the only one I have. And it say plural is lags.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lag#English

You only stated that it's lag not lags, but never explained it.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 10 Dec , 2013 1:01 am

Sense 2 is the common usage for the computing concept (sense 1 is used for lag outside of that), and it's uncountable - thus, no plural form is used. Multiple instances of lag are simply lag. Compare "I'm getting lag spikes" and "I'm getting lag / suffering from lag". You won't see native speakers say "lags".

The reason a plural is given as "lags" is because of the other senses. The most common place you'll see "lags" is as the plural of "lag" when referring to a prisoner: "an old lag" / "old lags", which is valid.

Spin

Post by Spin » Tue 10 Dec , 2013 1:13 am

Yes masta.