Unwheel

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: Unwheel

Post by iRobot » Wed 13 Aug , 2014 6:12 pm

KvWThomas wrote:Unwheel is totally different from RACE. I never understood why it was ever put on the RACE/AS server (?). A mapswitch from AS to Unwheel is a bit drastic. I personally never liked the gametype... Feels like a bad PS1 racing game to me. Doesn't the server get alot of RQ's by switching to unwheel?

Maybe it could be better to 'add' more stuff to the Unwheel server (like unarmed race or something) than to give the RACE/AS server more 'race' weight (inferior AS votes etc...).
Unwheel was actually pretty popular when it was up.

The only cries came from the miniscule assault crowd.

KvWThomas

Post by KvWThomas » Wed 13 Aug , 2014 6:22 pm

iRobot wrote:
KvWThomas wrote:Unwheel is totally different from RACE. I never understood why it was ever put on the RACE/AS server (?). A mapswitch from AS to Unwheel is a bit drastic. I personally never liked the gametype... Feels like a bad PS1 racing game to me. Doesn't the server get alot of RQ's by switching to unwheel?

Maybe it could be better to 'add' more stuff to the Unwheel server (like unarmed race or something) than to give the RACE/AS server more 'race' weight (inferior AS votes etc...).

Why don't you add C&C to the unwheel server and remove it from the AS/RACE so we can separate the boys from the men so to speak.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 13 Aug , 2014 6:35 pm

Because what goes on AS/Race is less about what fits the gametype definition and more about what is shit enough to have mass appeal to noobs. At one time, the LLS server ran a map called AirFight2, which was basically DM down an eternal shaft made from WarpZones.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 13 Aug , 2014 6:38 pm

KvWThomas wrote:
iRobot wrote:

Why don't you add C&C to the unwheel server and remove it from the AS/RACE so we can separate the boys from the men so to speak.
Because the men would be pretty lonely if the boys were on a different server.

KvWThomas

Post by KvWThomas » Wed 13 Aug , 2014 8:16 pm

Azarael wrote:Because what goes on AS/Race is less about what fits the gametype definition and more about what is shit enough to have mass appeal to noobs.
+100000000

But let's not add more shit to attract more noobs.. Let Unwheel exist on its own on the other server so people who truly want to go back in time can play there. Polluting the working concept of the AS/RACE server with more 'game'types is not the way to go in my opinion.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Thu 14 Aug , 2014 5:04 pm

Azarael wrote:It needs better physics, honestly.
AFAIK, this was the main reason. There was a major revision (applied a lot from NV physics + extra stuff), but while it became quite playable, it still was not enough. Unfortunately I don't have the time to get it done now.

Main issues is wheel simulator, it needs an overhaul as reasonable physics was not achieved with hacks that work for NV.