DM-SunTzu2k4

For posting your maps.
Calypto

DM-SunTzu2k4

Post by Calypto » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 11:40 pm

A UT99 map convert with a 1.25 scale factor. Best played with about 14 players or less in a PvP setting.
Author: Gareth 'Ulukai' Spring

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7077g ... Tzu2k4.zip

The original UT99 map: http://www.gamefront.com/files/1539369/dm_suntzu_zip

jefe

Re: DM-SunTzu2k4

Post by jefe » Wed 18 Mar , 2015 8:50 pm

I took a quick look at both the original and your conversion. For the most part, your version is pretty good. The scale feels right. Textures alignment looks good and most details are in place. I noticed that your sky was completely black, while the original had a nice evening cloud effect. The cloud sheet is still there in your version, you just have to set up the lighting.

There are some things I think you need to do. First, you shouldn't be using UT99 packages in 2004. UT99 packages are somewhat compatible with 2004 and can be opened without too much issue, but some properties have new equivalents in UT2004, and some things that relied on UT99 core files don't work.

They should be myleveled instead. Not only to decrease the overall size of the download, but also so you can set up materials properly. I see that you set up surface settings on most materials that you did mylevel so that metal and wood give the proper footstep sounds. You should also set up detail textures. These will help mask the low resolution of UT textures and make them look much nicer when viewed up close. Additionally, you can make shaders using the old textures (edit a new alpha channel) and it can greatly enhance the look of the map, especially on metal, stone and glass surfaces.