UTCRAFT

For posting your maps.
jefe

UTCRAFT

Post by jefe » Thu 19 Feb , 2015 5:39 am

Considering you guys have both Minecraft and UT servers, this should be work here. I plan to release the final version in about a week or so, so I'd appreciate any feedback you might have, regarding invasion or regular gameplay.

Details and download here:

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/987718

Calypto

Re: UTCRAFT

Post by Calypto » Thu 19 Feb , 2015 8:24 am

Very nice. The scale is quite accurate. I didn't look at the map in the editor, are you using static meshes or BSP for blocks? If you're using meshes, it should be pretty easy to make more Minecraft-themed maps, even for inexperienced mappers, assuming you allow others to use the materials.

Can anything else be done to lower the texture blurring aside from setting LOD?

jefe

Post by jefe » Thu 19 Feb , 2015 11:48 am

The blocks are good old fashioned, pain-in-the-ass BSP. Around 1700 brushes in fact. It's deceptively simple because of the blocky textures and shapes - it's a lot easier to notice when things look wrong than when they look right. My goal was to make it look as accurate as possible to Minecraft without impacting gameplay adversely.

I tested importing geometry directly from Minecraft at the beginning of the project, but even small sections were too complex and buggy to use. In retrospect, I could have modeled large chunks and structures as meshes, but meshes have plenty of drawbacks. Collision, culling, optimization and lighting all would have been issues if I worked mostly with meshes. Lighting is especially tricky when you try to blend BSP and meshes together that are supposed to be the same materials. It's possible with some tricks like darker textures and special lit light sources (like I used on the hidden doors,) but they don't look match up very well without some effort.

Minecraft uses a 16x16 texture for a typical block, which looks terrible when imported to UT2004. I upscaled them to at least 64x64 and set them to LODSET_Interface. I found out about a couple of other maps after I started this project (AS-MinecraftRace and VCTF-MCMountain) so I checked out their approaches to textures. In Minecraft Race the author used uncompressed 128x128 textures which greatly bloated the map size. MC Mountain's textures were also at 64x64, but at lodset_world - since he only used 64x64 blocks he didn't have much of a blurring problem, but he did have some issues on the plants. In my map I made several mix textures to simulate the "natural" block patterns in Minecraft, these do noticeably blur on LODSET_World. While the blurring is a function for optimizing, it had an adverse effect at "normal" texture settings when I tested it. Compared to a typical DM map with a lot of static meshes, I didn't have much texture load in the level and considerably smaller textures for the most part, so didn't think it would be an issue and used LODSET_Interface to keep them crisp-looking.

Regarding, your question, I have actually done something like that for the Mario Kart Wii community, by making my meshes available for use, and even curating a collection of models from other users. And they do get used in a lot of newbie levels. ;) In this case, I made a number of custom textures, models, pickups and emitters. I certainly don't mind if someone wants to use the assets from the final version of map for another Minecraft level, but they won't get results like mine without a lot of work and know-how. I'll be happy to give advice or help as needed. They will need to credit me, and of course Mojang.

Before any of that happens, I want to get this version tested and bug free. I don't know what you guys typically do in your map edits, so I'd appreciate it if you'd look it over, test it online, and let me know what it might need here.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 19 Feb , 2015 1:19 pm

We only edit maps for gameplay issues, and even then, it's not a regular thing. I'll add the map to the servers.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Thu 19 Feb , 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks for the reply! In the invasion server, I'm guessing the players will hide in the creeper-free zone because the buildings are too open for any cover. It's sad because the map is large and they have to be in a cave for the majority of the game :)

jefe

Post by jefe » Thu 19 Feb , 2015 9:58 pm

On my server, high level players can survive out in the open for the first 2/3 or so of the game, and engineers can build bases in the buildings, so the open buildings work for us. Without the option to build, the forge is the safest building on the surface. Press E on the crafting table and it will move, revealing a hidden passage. You can drop down for safety, and the passage opens to two different spots in the cave. The door will open from below, but you need to translocate or fly to get back up. I think I will put a ladder or something there in the final version to make it a bit easier.

There are a couple more hidden passages, the "Spider Nest," and "Zombie Passage," and one filled with water next the the well (the well itself is a shortcut to go to the surface.) The first two, like the creeper free zone, have openings on the beach and the cave system; you don't have to crouch to get into the spider nest, but monsters can spawn there. There is also a hidden enderman room that is a bit tricky to open, especially when monsters or people are shooting at you. Near the lava room there is a small hiding spot filled with diamonds, it requires a shield gun boost to get inside if you can't translocate, fly or jump high. Shooting the diamond (hop and shoot from the floor) and then the gold block in the next room will open a door to the hidden enderman room, near the NW entrance of the caves. It can also be opened by pressing E on the emerald in the "ruined" house. Either way you need to be quick to get in before the door closes. Once you're inside there is a DD and a switch that opens the door for about 8 seconds to let other people in or shoot at monsters.

For a version that would be a bit more friendly for your invasion server, I'd suggest making a couple of the surface buildings a bit safer and putting a button in front the enderman room for easy access. I might do that for you after I put out the final version. Doors would probably be a good idea, but since I've made the openings a good deal larger, I'll need to come up with a different setup, like lowering them a bit and putting in double doors. The problem with Minecraft door-sized openings (1 wide, 2 high) is that you can snag on them a bit at UT2004's scale. So a larger door design that mimics Minecraft's style will probably be the way to go, and it can be set up to use a pressure plate-style opening or door switches.

If you want to do the modifications yourself, you can, but FYI there are a lot of dark surfaces that will not light properly when you build. They will pop up more or less randomly on the BSP after you rebuild. Check the level carefully and move the torches around to hide those surfaces.

By the way, can you confirm that the random music script is working on this server? It works on mine, but since you have different mutators, it might not.

jefe

Post by jefe » Thu 26 Mar , 2015 5:05 pm

I never did get around to releasing a final, but I did make another beta version (A23) for my server about a month ago. I might as well give you guys access to it for feedback. I do have a couple of changes planned for the final, but it will be a little while before I get to it.

Changes:
*Moved assets to an external package, UTCRAFTResources.utx. Although a texture package, it also contains the sounds and static meshes.
*Made a wildcard mesh for the secret room, made opening it simpler. (Shoot the gold block.)
*Put a call button under the forge to make going back up possible without a translocator.
*Various other minor changes. I really can't remember at this point.
* Updated UCL for the random music mutator to give it a proper description on the mutator tab. (Don't activate it from the mutator tab or Minecraft AND the normal music for maps will play at the same time. It works automatically, so you DO NOT need to activate it there.)

Download:

DM-UTCRAFT-A23

NOTE: The music files are not included in this zip. Download version A22 if you need them.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Thu 26 Mar , 2015 8:54 pm

It's a nice interesting map with a well 'crafted' consistent theme, but the layout itself is a little too sniper-dominant for my taste. It's also one of the lowest framerate maps, if you stand out by the water and look inwards.

It's a nice addition to the collection though, because it supports high player counts.

jefe

Post by jefe » Thu 26 Mar , 2015 10:09 pm

Hmm.. I don't have any old hardware handy to test it on, but it shouldn't be that bad, especially if you are on low world detail. I have a friend who often plays on a made-in-2004 PC, he's usually the first to tell me if there's a major FPS problem, and I specifically asked him about this map. Almost all deco meshes (grass, flowers, etc.) are set to disappear on low detail, but they also have culling set to around 5000 units. The flame emitters aren't set to turn off, but they do have culling set, but I could make them turn off too. The only meshes I really can't do anything about are the leaf meshes, since they need to be visible as you can stand on them. They could be changed to opaque rather than masked, but I'd rather not do that. Aside from the water and horizon, all transparent stuff is set to use masked mode, which is more FPS-friendly. The map is about as well zoned as it can be with this layout, and I've set up antiportals to separate the upper and lower sections. I can do some more optimization steps, but there's not a whole lot more that I can do that I haven't already done. :( The only other thing I can think of that might be cause issues are the textures being set to LODSET_interface so that they don't blur, but the overall texture load on this map is less than the average DM map.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 26 Mar , 2015 10:29 pm

Uploaded
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”