Dark Star

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: Dark Star

Post by iRobot » Mon 09 Mar , 2015 5:27 pm

Other shooter games have it.

I guess their players must be lacking in motor control, right?

=.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 09 Mar , 2015 5:31 pm

No, just their designers are stupid. In L4D2 for example there are many cases where you need to pop off a single shot to remove a zombie, via headshot. I have never heard anyone cry that they couldn't play that game because there's no fire control option.

Back when we DID have this option, nobody used it. Nobody. It was a wasted jump between Burst Fire (which offers hard advantage in speeding up shots, btw) and Full Auto.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Mon 09 Mar , 2015 7:57 pm

I used bursts with many assault weapons (CYLOs mainly), but option was removed... in the moment all assault depend in motor skill, but since recoil needs specific timing to be set back to zero, and most assault weapons' recoil in close range are easy to handle, then its just easier to spam than shoot interrupted bursts. Some are easier than others: AK, CX and SAR lead, then Cylo AS, M50, then ,M46A M46,
Cylo FS overheats so no spamming...
No need to aim first then shoot, you press the iron sights and fire button at the same time and it shoots with aiming accuracy during the transition period. So is kind of partial hip/aim spam... :) or you can add a button bind for when you press aim first, then fire, then release fire, release aim..
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 09 Mar , 2015 8:04 pm

Butcher wrote:you press the iron sights and fire button at the same time and it shoots with aiming accuracy during the transition period.
Not correct. The server isn't "aimed" until the gun reaches the top.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Tue 10 Mar , 2015 9:51 am

The MARS-2 still has the semi-auto option, and no one uses it. That's your weapon to use if you want to play the game this way.

Also, doesn't the iron sights drop back down again if you fire too early after engaging? Mine always seems to :(
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Tue 10 Mar , 2015 1:12 pm

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:Also, doesn't the iron sights drop back down again if you fire too early after engaging? Mine always seems to :(
Some do, some don't. I don't get this problem often cause I use the same finger to fire and aim, so I do it in sequence, I am sure Z250 has this issue cause I'm annoyed by having to wait the aim to be mounted to shoot, else it retracts. (I use it on invasion)

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Tue 10 Mar , 2015 5:44 pm

Azarael wrote:
Butcher wrote:you press the iron sights and fire button at the same time and it shoots with aiming accuracy during the transition period.
Not correct. The server isn't "aimed" until the gun reaches the top.
sry double post, but could not edit... Aza, does the damage vary between aimed and hip?
I clarify my thoughts, :
-From hip the first shot is accurate. Recoil then grows linearly to a certain value depending the weapon.
-Using sights the end value of recoil is lower. But also grows in the same specific rate.
-If there is no difference in rate of change of the recoil value, and there is no difference in damage then:
To shoot from hip and start to aim simultaneously is equivalent to starting to shoot from an already aimed weapon; if the time it takes to aim it is less or equal to the time for rate of recoil increase to achieve aimed maximum recoil value.

Following this AK,SAR,... and other fast to aim weapons have an advantage and slow aim weapons like M46A, viper or srs900 do not...

sorry, couldn't find simpler words to express it...

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Tue 10 Mar , 2015 7:12 pm

does the damage vary between aimed and hip?
No.
From hip the first shot is accurate.
No. The first shot has the spread indicated by the crosshairs.
Recoil then grows linearly to a certain value depending the weapon.
Yes. The value of recoil increases linearly, but its expression does not - the value is used with an interpolation curve to determine the displacement and with some variables for random displacement.
Using sights the end value of recoil is lower. But also grows in the same specific rate.
No. The recoil max and recoil path are the same. There's a recoil penalty for hipping.
To shoot from hip and start to aim simultaneously is equivalent to starting to shoot from an already aimed weapon;
No. Until that weapon has reached the top of its movement (to centre screen) you are not aiming on the server. That means you have full random spread (from hipfire chaos accumulation) as well as the 60% recoil penalty.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Tue 10 Mar , 2015 10:02 pm

thanks for clarifying joinha

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 20 Aug , 2015 8:52 pm

Just a quick bug report, easier to post in this thread. Successful single bolt shots from hip propel the recipient seemingly straight to the dark star user, sometimes even further ; saw one player yesterday fly halfway over Highlander. Aimed single bolts also propel the recipient, but no where near to the extent of hip (I was told this is intentional?)
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”