DM-CityOfThieves

For posting your maps.
Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Re: DM-CityOfThieves

Post by Butcher » Fri 27 Feb , 2015 5:22 pm

Earl, could you do something with the lighting or contrast or colors? many skins are difficult to spot in the map! specially the one you are using LOL... I think red ones have less visibility...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Fri 27 Feb , 2015 7:54 pm

I find the rotational symmetry (similar in 3 directions) makes it hard to place where I am, particularly up on the platforms. Perhaps there needs to be different coloring, or more varied objects in different directions.

It's a nice map though, which suits the gametype and player count. And of course it's good to see people voting something different for a change.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Fri 27 Feb , 2015 10:53 pm

After playing it for a while I have to say, I'm not a big fan of this map in terms of gameplay. A bit too campy for me, but what's really bugging me is the huge barriers around the upper passages, preventing people from escaping when they get ambushed or camped. I don't like it when UT maps are restricting my movement for the sake of "tactics", especially when it all comes down to finding a good spot and avoiding direct contacts with the enemy.
People seem to like it though, it gets voted often.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 1:58 am

Aberiu wrote:but what's really bugging me is the huge barriers around the upper passages, preventing people from escaping when they get ambushed or camped.
I agree, BW movement limitations do not help in this situation.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 3:38 pm

I feel like the map's dramatically upscaled, and it's quite offputting.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 4:29 pm

Are you referrring to the texture sizes? I'll scale them down, they are a tad too bit!

I need to alter the lighting a bit, I know. Perhaps increase the brightness slightly. But I like the orange/blue contrast a lot, so I'm not willing to make too many alterations.

Regarding the upper level barriers, and camping in general - I took the steps to change the positioning of the platforms for this reason. The game we had yesterday was much more dynamic. The barriers are in place to counter the advantages of height - players don't complain about the number of claustophobic tunnels in the most popular of maps, and arguably that is the greater of crimes. You can jump over the barriers, and they don't cover the entire way.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 6:46 pm

You can use the light scaling tool to keep the light ratios the same. I assume you know how to use this tool, yes?

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 28 Feb , 2015 9:01 pm

Not a clue, but I'll figure it out!
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sun 01 Mar , 2015 2:29 am

Ok (=

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Mon 24 Aug , 2015 2:12 pm

Some minor changes:

Deleted most of the barriers around the upper walkways. Aberiu was right when he talked about the movement restrictions, and it does seem to be almost like a sky tunnel. This includes the upper platforms. Made a number of texture changes to make the roofs uniform and scaled, while changing the ground texture and deleting a few of the bigger meshes.