Decreasing playerbase

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Re: Decreasing playerbase

Post by Aberiu » Sun 27 Sep , 2015 9:36 am

Helmzdeep is easily dominated by all kinds of shit tactics - meleeing people in tunnels, deploying, camping from outside, camping from the top wall, camping in the upper corridor, throwing law at the castle walls, camping the outer area with hamr, airstrikes etc. It might be fun once or twice but you keep voting this map almost every evening together with highlander and you get what you vote for. It's not really the mau that is bugged or op. Stay out of the castle if you want to survive, pretty simple.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 27 Sep , 2015 10:34 am

Typical Helmz scenario: you spawn inside the castle, MAU is released under ten seconds, whole team is frozen. You can't escape.

It's a broken weapon, fair and simple.

Also, I don't like the direction this server is going in. When I started playing, I saw BW as a fast-paced gametype where skill was required to be successful - I remember an excellent game of Downtown where both myself and giZmo got nets of +60 through clever movement and co-ordinated tactics. Now, I can't move for deployed weapons in corners, camping (both snipers and deployed) on single-access roofs ... these old maps may keep the playerbase intact (those who enjoy using and abusing the so-called 'shit' tactics), but it's destroying the server's legacy and I am not enjoying playing.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Sun 27 Sep , 2015 10:38 am

Typical Helmz scenario: you spawn inside the castle, MAU is released under ten seconds, whole team is frozen. You can't escape.
Not true. Dodge jump to the doors, sprint dodge to the left wall, sprint dodge outside while the enemy team is approaching gates.

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sun 27 Sep , 2015 10:57 am

Aberiu wrote:
Not true. Dodge jump to the doors, sprint dodge to the left wall, sprint dodge outside while the enemy team is approaching gates.
And you become the Lone Ranger. Your own videos show this to be true.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Sun 27 Sep , 2015 11:35 am

Earl, if you nerf mau for the sake of one map, it will become useless on the other, better balanced ones. The only solution I see would be to vary it's power according to the map, but I really doubt anybody will do that.

Jester

Post by Jester » Sun 27 Sep , 2015 12:00 pm

It's not a nerf, it's a fix. It seems like people here don't remember the old napalm firemode before it's been fixed: instant kill without a possibility to escape. It's the same issue here.. facepalm

Btw, MAU has a plenty of firemode which they don't instant kill. Wonder why people don't want to get this instant kill firemode to be fixed..

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Sun 27 Sep , 2015 12:01 pm

Azarael wrote:... there is no possible advantage whatsoever from having a higher ping in UT.
I accept the server is authoritative, but surely the corrections themselves will be perceived as warping, which makes it more difficult to track the movement curve of a player and hit them. Logically there must always be a sliding scale of accuracy relative to ping, regardless of any 'compensation' algorithm, otherwise players with pings of 5000 would still be competitive.
Izumo wrote:Given the rage in here and the statements about how "ping compensation does not work" I have removed it.
Thank you. I don't have a problem with a fair attempt to give high-pingers a reasonable game, but there's no harm in doing without that particular mutator if it really is "just a placebo". Less calculations on the server mean a smoother game for all.

Greedisgood

Post by Greedisgood » Sun 27 Sep , 2015 1:13 pm

Also, I don't like the direction this server is going in. When I started playing, I saw BW as a fast-paced gametype where skill was required to be successful - I remember an excellent game of Downtown where both myself and giZmo got nets of +60 through clever movement and co-ordinated tactics. Now, I can't move for deployed weapons in corners, camping (both snipers and deployed) on single-access roofs ... these old maps may keep the playerbase intact (those who enjoy using and abusing the so-called 'shit' tactics), but it's destroying the server's legacy and I am not enjoying playing.
The miniguns werent changed significantly for many years now, at least as long as i can remember it. They just werent popular/practiced enough. Maybe you are refering to an older game, correct me if im wrong. Grenades were stronger before, certain weapons could be spammed much better (M50 etc) so the camping was diffirent but still there. From what i remember, lots of players were simply unable to reach the juicy roof spots or move between them fast enough so the skilled ones could eh... farm them just because they had no idea on how to retaliate. 60+ would not be possible today mostly because of the new 13% delay, killing enemies at that rate makes them go extinct.
What im trying to say is that the alternative strategies were either not availible or not yet developed back then and mobile sniping was a little... overused, partially due to being the only counter to itself. Adding a mate to proxy heal with +some kind of healing wep made you able to recover from almost any mistake while playing it safe. It yielded much better results back then comparing to what any kind of... abuse yields now (except for the MAU, obviously).
Its just an opinion, dont take it too seriously. That info is recollected from my memories of when i was struggling to keep a track of my ammo, not even mentioning the situation on the battlefield.
"Not one has eggs to chance" - Brötchen of Hellfire

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Sun 27 Sep , 2015 1:38 pm

Jester wrote:It's not a nerf, it's a fix. It seems like people here don't remember the old napalm firemode before it's been fixed
We had a talk about both bombs in skype in january iirc, mc1 isn't as devastating as mk77 incendiary was. The main purpose of both bombs seems to be killing people behind the cover. Mk77 is longer range, mc1 is shorter, that's pretty much all the difference aside from the visuals.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sun 27 Sep , 2015 7:08 pm

Skaldy wrote:
Azarael wrote:... there is no possible advantage whatsoever from having a higher ping in UT.
I accept the server is authoritative, but surely the corrections themselves will be perceived as warping, which makes it more difficult to track the movement curve of a player and hit them. Logically there must always be a sliding scale of accuracy relative to ping, regardless of any 'compensation' algorithm, otherwise players with pings of 5000 would still be competitive.
Izumo wrote:Given the rage in here and the statements about how "ping compensation does not work" I have removed it.
Thank you. I don't have a problem with a fair attempt to give high-pingers a reasonable game, but there's no harm in doing without that particular mutator if it really is "just a placebo". Less calculations on the server mean a smoother game for all.
Expect nothing to be different.