AFK Farmers tying up server

Discuss the BW-Invasion server here.
veda

AFK Farmers tying up server

Post by veda » Thu 09 Aug , 2018 8:57 pm

First of all, thank you for providing this great server. It's been a blast playing Invasion RPG again for the last few months.

The server is suffering from AFK farmers of late. For the last few weeks there are a few players who will log in sometime around 12-3pm EUTZ and set up the map to enable them to farm exp AFK. They will still be on the map (when they have it locked up) at 6am EUTZ the next morning. AFK'ing itself isn't necessarily the problem, people should be allowed to follow the gameplay they like, however, it is a problem when their gameplay style makes it impossible for others to play.

The problem occurs when a player logs in and wants to actively play the game and is unable to because of these AFK players. It's usually because the map won't let a new player in (because there's already a spectator?) and you can't get a RES from an AFK player. This then becomes a problem that we cannot kickvote the AFK players. The main abuser of this has even created an alt character (I'm sure server logs would verify this) so that he can't get kick voted with two players on the map even if others get in.

Is there a way that either an AFK timer could be set (It should be generous (15-30 min) so you could take a phone call or bathroom break) or make it easier to kick vote an inactive player?

There have been time when there are five players on a server(two afk, three trying to get into the map to play), and the three active players cannot vote a map change or kick vote the AFK players. Maybe I don't understand the vote mechanics, but this seems unbalanced. There doesn't seem to be any active server moderators on the invasion server so I'm posting here for some help.

Calypto

Re: AFK Farmers tying up server

Post by Calypto » Fri 10 Aug , 2018 1:03 pm

There used to be kick voting, but I removed it because it was abused by people to prevent others from playing. The idle kicker doesn't seem to work for some reason. The only real option is to fix maps where there are exploits.

veda

Post by veda » Fri 10 Aug , 2018 3:10 pm

I'm not familiar with the mechanics of kick voting, can you adjust it so that it works with a majority of players voting to kick?

Satin
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Satin » Fri 10 Aug , 2018 6:43 pm

The only way I can think of to get XP by idling would be to be a monster herder, even then once you get to a boss wave, if the boss isn't defeated in the time limit the game ends.

Maybe remove monster herding?

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 11 Aug , 2018 11:38 am

No, monster herding should've be removed just because of these idiots.

veda

Post by veda » Sun 12 Aug , 2018 7:57 pm

Calypto wrote: Sat 11 Aug , 2018 11:38 am No, monster herding should've be removed just because of these idiots.
can you reinstate kick voting then?

Satin
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Satin » Sun 12 Aug , 2018 8:30 pm

We reinstated admin monitoring, 3 banned so far...

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Mon 13 Aug , 2018 6:22 am

Kick voting is at 75% right now. Let me know how it goes.

veda

Post by veda » Mon 13 Aug , 2018 5:46 pm

Thank you for your attention to this. I think between the bans and the ability to kick vote we should be able to maintain fair access to the server.

veda

Post by veda » Fri 07 Sep , 2018 3:57 am

Well the bans and server check ins initially work and we had a few weeks of clear playing, but the farmers are back. Specifically m3c and B@ndIt0 (his alt). They've been on mountain glen map today for several hours (at the time of this post they are both under the map with pets out and have scores in the 5500 range). It's almost impossible to log in, without being instantly killed. Please take a look at your server logs from today and consider bans.