Mutator/gametype modification idea.

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.
Socio
Disappeared Administrator

Mutator/gametype modification idea.

Post by Socio » Thu 19 Apr , 2012 6:32 pm

In our crusade against stacked games we need a mutator/gametype modification that will end the game on the last defended objective in case of a big defenders stack.
Example of what I mean: attackers did only 30% of objective 4 out of 6 in the whole map so when during defenders attack round they do 31% of objective 4 the game ends declaring them the winners.
I am pretty sure something like this is possible, as long, long ago before the times of proper RACE, Azarael did such a modification to one of the AS-HellbenderRaces.
> team-spec*Socio: i see a new rais map
> team-spec*Socio: curious if ikea
> H&some: its not
> H&some: its actually pretty good

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: Mutator/gametype modification idea.

Post by iRobot » Thu 19 Apr , 2012 7:08 pm

I always thought you could implement challenge mode in a way. After x time without any progress, that team spawns with extra shields and health, steadily rising. It would still be possible to defend, but you would eventually get overwhelmed because of the health disparities.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Thu 19 Apr , 2012 7:50 pm

It is possible, I actually was thinking about progressive timing, just as it is in some RACEs. Some sort of a K.O. element. Consider 3 objectives, initially there is 10 minutes, and making each objective gives you extra 10 minutes, thus you have 30 minutes in total. If attackers won't beat 1st objective in 10 minutes, round ends, then defenders have 10 minutes to beat it. If they manage to do it, they won, otherwise tie (such as in case both teams fail to do last objective). Similar to 2nd objective, attackers have 20 minutes to beat it etc. .

This would server better to filter out "first round defener teamstack", taking the entire round time.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 19 Apr , 2012 10:55 pm

I'm fine with that.

Socio

Post by Socio » Fri 20 Apr , 2012 1:25 am

Thats a good idea Izumo, but you would need to customly set it up to every map individualy because the number and difficulty of objectives vary strongly (like comparing 1st. destroy the door objective on The Canyon to 1st. aligning the satelite dish on Robot Factory). Most AS maps have over 6 main objectives, so also we would have to cut the timeline of every map in a certain way.
Lets take Mercury for example, there is 11 objectives on it, the whole maps max round limit is 25mins, attackers would start with 7mins and then depending on our own judgement about certain objectives difficulty level we would set how much extra time doing the objective gives, so lets say 7+2,1,2,2,3,0,2,2,0,2,2 = 25mins.
> team-spec*Socio: i see a new rais map
> team-spec*Socio: curious if ikea
> H&some: its not
> H&some: its actually pretty good

Takeo

Post by Takeo » Fri 20 Apr , 2012 11:28 am

I pretty much like the idea of earning time and would even go a bit further...

You have X minutes for the objectives but also should have the possibility to expand the time a bit. This would require general map editing though.

The idea is to implement objectives which are not relevant for the map itself but only give you more time.. (secondary objectives so to say.. E.g. "Destroy the cooling system to slow down the production time.") People would have to concentrate on to objectives at the same time and it wouldn't be that spammy sometimes.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sat 21 Apr , 2012 8:29 pm

Yeah, it would be ini configurable, not hardcoded in the maps. I'll give this highest priority.