Skill system

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Oska
The wise man

Re: Skill system punishments

Post by Oska » Fri 26 Jul , 2013 3:41 pm

> implying that it's all gizmo's fault.

Since the "skill" system was meant to be used by a balancer I don't know why anyone should get +xxx kills or should get excluded or anything alike.

Like Capaco said it shouldn't even be shown, it should be used as a tool for the balancer and not as a bragging tool.
Once you said something like "I've spent ages coding that ladder I'm not gonna remove it now". I'm afraid that it's not a valuable reason to keep it up.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 26 Jul , 2013 3:45 pm

Izumo's UI skill is a paltry 4.23

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Fri 26 Jul , 2013 3:47 pm

Oska wrote:Once you said something like "I've spent ages coding that ladder I'm not gonna remove it now". I'm afraid that it's not a valuable reason to keep it up.
I'm afraid it will be openly available here on LDG that Oska is a lowskiller.
trollface

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Fri 26 Jul , 2013 3:49 pm

I'm afraid that you have to grow up.

And develop your art skills.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Fri 26 Jul , 2013 3:51 pm

In his defence, I've seen just.a.man actively go from spectate to join, when better players arrive.

Besides, there's a long list of other things that affect "skill" that aren't taken into account - players' ages, hardware, shared connections, alcohol-level(!) etc. So I agree with Capa - the only solution to is to hide all skill ratings except the player's own rating. And bin the ladder webpage too - it makes some players less goal-oriented and less team-oriented. Just use the skill rating internally for team balancing.

The BW server is better as a "fun & teamplay" server, not a "psycho-pr0" server, imho.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 26 Jul , 2013 3:54 pm

Skaldy wrote:The BW server is better as a "fun & teamplay" server, not a "psycho-pr0" server, imho.
We're not "psycho-pr0" server. Many ppl just don't care, most ppl maximally pester themselves about skill, but not beyond that.

Capaco

Post by Capaco » Fri 26 Jul , 2013 4:08 pm

lets make a poll for some democracy if it should be shown in the background like i said or not.

Lets see what the majority wants. challenge)

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 26 Jul , 2013 4:09 pm

Izumo is working on having your skill value float above your head in game, so you can see if people are worth thawing or not, and which people are more important to kill first.

(=

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 26 Jul , 2013 4:11 pm

Capaco wrote:lets make a poll for some democracy if it should be shown in the background like i said or not.

Poll added (3 options: completely public, show only your own skill, hide completely). If there will be overwhelming "no stance", I shall hide skill with the balancer update.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Fri 26 Jul , 2013 4:58 pm

Izumo_CZ wrote:
Capaco wrote:lets make a poll for some democracy if it should be shown in the background like i said or not.

Poll added (3 options: completely public, show only your own skill, hide completely). If there will be overwhelming "no stance", I shall hide skill with the balancer update.
You can go to middle ground, Show the top players rating in the server, but not after every match... I found annoying to see always the same top player screen... It should just show the 10 top players that are actually in the game with their score in the game and their general score. That would make a little more sense to me...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)